Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Right! Man, there was so much wrong in that post but I'm not sweating it because that guy made it known a long time ago that he has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to the South and that he thinks the world revolves around NYC and that it by itself means "the North." For instance, he says that Southern Blacks love Gospel music more than Northern Blacks when the epicenters of Gospel music are in the North: Chicago and Detroit.

I got really tickled by the line, "We don't really eat many of the same foods. But just about every Black person I know eats soul food except me. I constitute the majority!"

SMH...
I want to know what southern family eats soul food all the time because I don't know anyone that does. In my house we have tacos, spaghetti, nachos and pizza more than anything. I'd love it if my mom did cook soul food more.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
well leave it to you guys and we're all arrogant, we lack manners, we don't know anything, immature, childish, uppity, uncultured, non religious, black ppl that have a skewed view of life and we lack morals.
...yet when everybody was posting these sorts of things you were silent and you wait til i post to chime in?

*edit*
and we're loud and obnoxious. forgot about those two.
In the larger urban centers, particularly NYC, that all stems from the fast pace of life that has been in place for as long as Black people have lived there. It's a different reality here in the South. It's not about being "non-go getters" or any foolishness like that. Our lifestyle fits the pace of life down here and the same goes for up there. That's why some of y'all look crazy trying to have the same MO in a different environment and in a bombastic, defiant way at that.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
it didn't stop anybody else from the south from posting what they think about northerners in this thread.

and you quoted my post and responded to it so you did chime in.
I chimed in about Southerners. That's what I represent. You asked why I didn't chime in when people were talking bad about Northerners. That ain't me, so I didn't try to defend Norhtherners. As I said before, ya'll talk about people being real, I'd think you could appreciate my silence. I guess you wanted me to be fake and try to respond.

And I'll ask again, Wasn't the movie Soul Food based in Chicago???????

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
white ppl go to them more than black ppl.
Probably because some of the more well-known soul food restaurants (e.g., Sylvia's in Harlem) are in gentrifying neighborhoods or touristy areas. You don't see too many White folks in the down home, hole-in-the-wall soul food restaurants though.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Right! Man, there was so much wrong in that post but I'm not sweating it because...
you guys had your say. a lot of you have had your say...hardly anybody from the north has posted in this thread and given their opinion(s) on southern black ppl so i'm just balancing the thread out.

it was all ok when ppl from the south posted their generalizations tho, right?

Quote:
that guy made it known a long time ago that he has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to the South
i don't have any chip on my shoulder at all.

Quote:
and that he thinks the world revolves around NYC
americans think that the world revolves around them, no? and ny is the premier city of america. ny goes down we all go down, correct? the world's economy included. in many ways, fashion, finances, etc. the world revolves around ny. deal with it.

Quote:
and that it by itself means "the North." For instance, he says that Southern Blacks love Gospel music more than Northern Blacks when the epicenters of Gospel music are in the North: Chicago and Detroit.
ny is synonymous with the north, period and is by far the representative of the entire north. by. far.

doesn't matter where the epicenters are, nyers aren't listening to and singing gospel as much as southern black ppl are, period.

i'm always honest, i usually post facts provided with links, pics, vids, whatever to back up what i'm saying, i've traveled to various states, lived in a few, traveled to other parts of the world, etc.

i'm not talking out of my ass at all. only posting based on experience like i'm sure you and others do. our experiences vary because we are each individuals but i don't think that it means that any of us have chips on our shoulders.

Quote:
I got really tickled by the line, "We don't really eat many of the same foods. But just about every Black person I know eats soul food except me. I constitute the majority!"
we don't. not nearly in the abundance that you guys do.

we also tend to eat more of a variety of foods that you guys wouldn't because of who we're around in our neighborhoods. its a cultural difference.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
you guys had your say. a lot of you have had your say...hardly anybody from the north has posted in this thread and given their opinion(s) on southern black ppl so i'm just balancing the thread out.

it was all ok when ppl from the south posted their generalizations tho, right?

i don't have any chip on my shoulder at all.

americans think that the world revolves around them, no? and ny is the premier city of america. ny goes down we all go down, correct? the world's economy included. in many ways, fashion, finances, etc. the world revolves around ny. deal with it.

ny is synonymous with the north, period and is by far the representative of the entire north. by. far.

doesn't matter where the epicenters are, nyers aren't listening to and singing gospel as much as southern black ppl are, period.

i'm always honest, i usually post facts provided with links, pics, vids, whatever to back up what i'm saying, i've traveled to various states, lived in a few, traveled to other parts of the world, etc.

i'm not talking out of my ass at all. only posting based on experience like i'm sure you and others do. our experiences vary because we are each individuals but i don't think that it means that any of us have chips on our shoulders.

we don't. not nearly in the abundance that you guys do.

we also tend to eat more of a variety of foods that you guys wouldn't because of who we're around in our neighborhoods. its a cultural difference.
Considering all you do on City Data is post exaggerated views of the south; I posted harsh generalizations about the north. I'll admit; I was being more spiteful than actually being genuine with my post. However, pretty much how I acted was how you northerners act on here on daily basis.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Are ya'll serious? All those Soul Food spots up North and nobody goes to them????? Wasn't the movie Soul Food based in Chicago? LMAO!! And for the record, nobody is saying blacks down south eat Soul Food everyday. That's crazy too.
Delilha's is the only one I know of, and to a lesser extent OCB, but those are chains, so we don't really have that many soul-food places unless you consider every fried chicken place as a soul-food spot. Jamaican food and chinese food are alot more common than slave-scraps for black ppl up north.

Chicago, while up north, is midwestern, very different from the east coast. I'll leave it at that.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I want to know what southern family eats soul food all the time because I don't know anyone that does. In my house we have tacos, spaghetti, nachos and pizza more than anything. I'd love it if my mom did cook soul food more.
Quote:
We don't eat soul food every single day down here either, at least not in the urban centers. In the more rural areas, it's eaten more often but that's why I said earlier in this thread that one also has to make an urban/rural distinction. Essentially, all the North has is urban Blacks, while you can find a good bit of us both in the city and the country down here (with the exception of Appalachia where we don't have much of a presence in the more rural areas).
i'm not saying that ppl are eating fat back every day of the week...

but A LOT of black families eat some form of soul food at least once a week, not counting holidays. usually that day lies on sunday.

Quote:
In the larger urban centers, particularly NYC, that all stems from the fast pace of life that has been in place for as long as Black people have lived there. It's a different reality here in the South. It's not about being "non-go getters" or any foolishness like that. Our lifestyle fits the pace of life down here and the same goes for up there. That's why some of y'all look crazy trying to have the same MO in a different environment and in a bombastic, defiant way at that.
i disagree. i don't think we're on the same page as far as what i mean...

what i mean is that you have a lot of black ppl down south content with their 20 something thousand dollar jobs that think making 30 something is making money when its not. a bunch of barely getting by but content with it ppl.

thats not a slower pace of lifestyle thats called complacency. we gotta move on from that and reach for a better life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I chimed in about Southerners. That's what I represent. You asked why I didn't chime in when people were talking bad about Northerners. That ain't me, so I didn't try to defend Norhtherners. As I said before, ya'll talk about people being real, I'd think you could appreciate my silence. I guess you wanted me to be fake and try to respond.
then you shouldn't get offended by what and act like none of us would get offended by what southern black ppl here have said.

personally i'm not offended because i already know what it is. like i said earlier, this thread should be more for observation than going back and forth.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Not amongst the Black population, which is what we are talking about here.

But I give you credit: it's a nice way to try and validate your argument. Just sweep Philly, Chicago, Detroit, DC, etc. all under the rug and act as though they don't exist.

It's the world against NYC and NYC wins baby![/sarcasm]

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Considering all you do on City Data is post exaggerated views of the south...
thats complete bull.

everything i post on the south is either fact or opinion based on personal experiences. none of this i gotta google or ask somebody else what they thought because i've been there, lived there, have family there, etc. etc.

if a lot of you stop acting like exaggerated stereotypes maybe so many of us wouldn't have "exaggerated views" about you guys.
Quote:
I posted harsh generalizations about the north. I'll admit; I was being more spiteful than actually being genuine with my post. However, pretty much how I acted was how you northerners act on here on daily basis
there's no reason to catch feelings and be spiteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.