Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top Midwest "Foodie" City other than Chicago
Milwaukee 28 18.18%
Cleveland 37 24.03%
Indianapolis 10 6.49%
Detroit 21 13.64%
Columbus 11 7.14%
Minneapolis 46 29.87%
Cincinnati 22 14.29%
Kansas City 37 24.03%
St. Louis 35 22.73%
Omaha 8 5.19%
Wichita 3 1.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Drewcifer is a top chef, so I'd listen to him for advice on Minneapolis anyways. He also probably has some good links and references for "bests" and rankings within the Midwest. He's likely where I received much of my information about Minneapolis dining.

I live in Cleveland and have been afforded some of the better restaurants in town so far, but I'm pretty sure I've only scratched the surface. I also USE TO live in St. Louis but I was young and I don't remember going out to eat there much. My memory of St. Louis food was that it was not good though, but we did live in the 'burbs. The pizza, specifically, was NOT loved by our family (what's with the American cheese?). I doubt very much that we tried the better places in the city though.

I'd be willing to agree with many here that St. Louis and Cleveland are nearly identical in some of these cultural offerings.
Its not American cheese, its provel cheese, and unique to the Lou.
These are the things that interest me, the foods that are unique to specific areas.....and as far as you not recalling any good food in StL....well, you were young, your palate had not developed at all.
I would like to see a conversation evolve here about unique foods to regions, and how they developed.
I'm a geek that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Its not American cheese, its provel cheese, and unique to the Lou.
These are the things that interest me, the foods that are unique to specific areas.....and as far as you not recalling any good food in StL....well, you were young, your palate had not developed at all.
I would like to see a conversation evolve here about unique foods to regions, and how they developed.
I'm a geek that way.
There was orange cheese on my pizza in STL, we aren't making that up! Provalone is NOT unique to the "Lou" though, as it's very prominent in Ohio as well (unfortunately).

It sounds like you have quite a passion for food! I TRY to be a "foodie" but like I said before, it's really not practical for our budget (at least not now). I've been to some of the best restaurants in the Midwest though, so I DO know the difference between great food and good food. The cost, however, doesn't usually warrant the upgrade most times for me.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
Provolone is different than provel. Provel is indeed a St. Louis cheese.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
Provolone is different than provel. Provel is indeed a St. Louis cheese.
Oh! I never heard of it.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Random fact: The word "foodie" is strange in my opinion haha Couldn't someone have come up with a better word than that??

Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I didnt fail to notice anything, but I have to question why you felt you had to resort to troll-like tactics to attempt to put someone in their place.
Especially from someone who has what you have on your banner.
You are usually much nicer.
Oh, and that was not the point I was making, every city has crappy areas.
-shrug-
Sorry, kshe. My intentions were not meant to put down St. Louis because I have always had a good time there, but I have already said it numerous times, if someone is going to put down your city, I would expect you to defend it, no matter the topic. That's all I was doing. I think that explains itself. I looked at my schedule for next month, and it has me going to St. Louis again which I am pretty excited about.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Wrong and wrong. I have been to Cleveland likely over 50 times in the past twenty years. The last time I went to Little Italy has been awhile though, a long while. I have only been to a couple of restaurants, so it's likely I missed out on the really good ones. I already admited this, and you obviously choose to ignore that and instead pick a fight. You think me going over the top s funny? I think it's funny you're jumping to conclusions you have zero evidence to back up, assuming you know my family lineage...I could tell you every characteristic of East Cleveland and Downtown Cleveland without having to look at a single map or picture, and you would find my relatives' names in phonebooks if i gave them out. What's your evidence supporting Cleveland's better restaurant scene in Little Italy besides your own opinion anyway? The Hill is also consistently rated as one of the best Little Italys in the country as well the last time I checked. So you have no business putting it down.
Read my posts from previous pages, everything towards the end of this post has already been answered. I am jumping to conclusions? Pot, meet kettle.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I don't discredit it. I simply point out that it's really not a big deal compared to St. Louis. And I base it on my experience. And I've already admitted that with Cleveland's Little Italy, it may not be much. So please...savor your sweat.
It may not be much according to your very little visits there. What, how many years maybe over a decade ago? I highly doubt you have seen the entire neighborhood. You also put down the residents that have lived here or do live here now, and put your mother's advice over us. Yet, how long has it been since she lived here? Good for you, you have family here, that doesn't make you an expert. Just like it doesn't make me an expert on my countless trips to St. Louis for work. Your point is falling on deaf ears.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You do sound like me, don't you? Hypocrisy knows bounds, especially on here. You're really starting to get on my nerves. Don't tell me I haven't been to Cleveland when you couldn't be further from the truth...now you're just discrediting St. Louis to further Cleveland. I'm honestly not interested in a pissing match. So either speak to me like an adult or take your words and stick them where the sun don't shine In all seriousness, I have recanted some of the things I said, and you continue to drop the hammer. So let's just agree to bury the hatchet. I think Cleveland is the most comparable city to St. Louis in the Midwest, so if it's not as good as ST. Louis, or vice-versa, either city is right on the other's tail.
Once again, pot and kettle are one in the same with you. How about we grow up, eh? I never had a problem with The Lou like you did with Cleveland. It was apparent in your posts saying Cleveland is nothing but a deli city.... that to be honest was a good laugh. But you know what else it told me, your "countless visits to Cleveland" had no experience in the culinary field here. A deli city?! Come on. I think St. Louis is very comparable to Cleveland, and I have said it numerous times. I think even going to the point to call them twin cities mentioning their many similar attributes. The few folks in this thread need to read everything instead of the stuff they want to pick out for the sake of making a point. If you have any other problems, send me a direct message. Have a good one, and I'm looking forward to being in St. Louis November 15-21st.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
It may not be much according to your very little visits there. What, how many years maybe over a decade ago? I highly doubt you have seen the entire neighborhood. You also put down the residents that have lived here or do live here now, and put your mother's advice over us. Yet, how long has it been since she lived here? Good for you, you have family here, that doesn't make you an expert. Just like it doesn't make me an expert on my countless trips to St. Louis for work. Your point is falling on deaf ears.
As is your point. You obviously are hellbent on a fight. I am no longer basing this on just my mother's comments or my family's...I'm basing it on posts on here other than your's. There is little evidence to suggest Cleveland is a dream-come-true for food compared to St. Louis...I have acknowledged its a good food city, but there is no comment I've read on here other than your own to suggest Cleveland is just a better food city than St. Louis. As far as residents of Cleveland being put down, I never put down Clevelanders. Just those who put down St. Louisans, such as yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.