Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty interested in this myself as I can't drive and probably never will. Whilst the Northeast does hold a certain appeal for me, does anyone think you can easily live without a car in a city in the west, but not in the coastal states? I know the large cities are more spread out and only a few have decent public transport, but would any of them be good if you had no car? What about smaller cities which are less spread out? I've looked at Colorado in most detail, and lots of it's cities sound good, but really any of the states surrounding Colorado would be cool.

Is it asking too much for a city in the west where you don't need a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Check out Washington, DC. The public transit system is amazing, it also features the ZipCar program, and Northwest DC neighborhoods like Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Tenleytown and Friendship Heights are within the city but have a very suburban feel (safe, non-threatening).

Friendship Heights-Wisconsin Avenue

Friendship Heights Metro Station

Tenleytown street

Block near the Tenleytown Metro Station

Block near Cleveland Park Metro Station

night near Cleveland Park Metro Station

near Woodley Park Metro Station

Connecticut Avenue in Woodley Park

Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I'm pretty interested in this myself as I can't drive and probably never will. Whilst the Northeast does hold a certain appeal for me, does anyone think you can easily live without a car in a city in the west, but not in the coastal states? I know the large cities are more spread out and only a few have decent public transport, but would any of them be good if you had no car? What about smaller cities which are less spread out? I've looked at Colorado in most detail, and lots of it's cities sound good, but really any of the states surrounding Colorado would be cool.

Is it asking too much for a city in the west where you don't need a car?
Salt Lake City has a decent light rail system, it also has a similar climate, access to skiing, etc as Colorado

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
Salt Lake City has a decent light rail system, it also has a similar climate, access to skiing, etc as Colorado
Yeah, I should have said, for me, Utah and especially SLC is out. Moab is a place I like the look of, but it doesn't fit my needs. Thanx for the suggestion, but I really couldn't abide living there.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
Denver has excellent public transportation, including to Eldora Ski Area.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver has excellent public transportation, including to Eldora Ski Area.
Yeah, I've really liked the look of Denver and it's transport seems pretty good, but it is a pretty sprawling city and I'm not sure I could get the most out of it without driving.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've really liked the look of Denver and it's transport seems pretty good, but it is a pretty sprawling city and I'm not sure I could get the most out of it without driving.
It's no more sprawling than many other cities. It has someof the smallest suburban yards outside of California. Out of 3 million people in the metro, 600,000 live in the city. That's a far better ratio than many cities, including Salt Lake.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It's no more sprawling than many other cities. It has someof the smallest suburban yards outside of California. Out of 3 million people in the metro, 600,000 live in the city. That's a far better ratio than many cities, including Salt Lake.
There's no need to tell me that, I know all the figures, and I didn't say it was the most sprawling, it just obviously isn't exactly an east coast city. I like the look of it very much and have passed through on many occasions, I just wonder whether the lack of a car would impede my life there. Yards don't concern me as I would much rather have an apartment.

Can you confirm or deny whether I'd be able to live and work in Denver without driving and still be able to take advantage of all it has to offer?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There's no need to tell me that, I know all the figures, and I didn't say it was the most sprawling, it just obviously isn't exactly an east coast city. I like the look of it very much and have passed through on many occasions, I just wonder whether the lack of a car would impede my life there. Yards don't concern me as I would much rather have an apartment.

Can you confirm or deny whether I'd be able to live and work in Denver without driving and still be able to take advantage of all it has to offer?
Well, it depends on what you want to take advantage of. In the city, absolutely! In the burbs, probably. If you want to go to the mtns, you are limited to the close in areas like Nederland, Evergreen, Conifer and such.

I am from Pittsburgh and its ratio of city:suburban residents is about 1:7.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Well, it depends on what you want to take advantage of. In the city, absolutely! In the burbs, probably. If you want to go to the mtns, you are limited to the close in areas like Nederland, Evergreen, Conifer and such.

I am from Pittsburgh and its ratio of city:suburban residents is about 1:7.
Do you mean to say that the OP can easily get around the Denver Metro area using this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.