Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times

Advertisements

In my small college town of Carrollton, GA, there was a student production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the college. Who would've guessed the townsfolk came out ranting and raving that it was against God's values and shut down the production.

Yeah, that would totally happen with all those rednecks in Boston!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Big cities in the South are mostly over run with Northern Transplants especially Atlanta and Nashville. Almost everyone I work with in Nashville is from the Northeast or the Midwest and a transplant. Big cities in the South have a strong Northern presence now. Rural South vs the Northeastern values is where the culture shock would take place but its still overblown, I have visited a lot of rednecks towns in the South and I got along with everyone fine and I am grew up in upstate NY and Ohio.
Eh. I would have to disagree. Atlanta and Nashville still have a very very strong southern presence and culture. They are slow paced and laid back, no rat race, still emphasize on that southern cooking (which I so love), southern values, etc. Atlanta metro area is very country to me especially. So is Nashville but I think Atlanta is worse.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 PM

295 posts, read 296,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Scotty, I don't know about your background but I've lived all over. The people here, outside the city, all have exactly the same interests- hunting, God, guns, and church. Try to find anything arts related out here, I dare you. I've tried. No, we have churches. So once again, yes there are probably rednecks in MA, but I've never met one. But here in GA, you are literally surrounded by them. You are so delusional it's absolutely mind blowing.
Quote:
In my small college town of Carrollton, GA, there was a student production of the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the college. Who would've guessed the townsfolk came out ranting and raving that it was against God's values and shut down the production.

I have read this time and time again on C-D. Another person from a different part of the country that judges an entire region based on the small town they moved to.

What did you expect from a small town in Georgia? You're literally comparing Carrollton to Boston, regardless of the region they are in.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:

Whatever makes you feel better. I try not to run down people from different regions of the country. We are all Americans. One group of people is no better than another. I know some people think they are, but that's just ignorance showing.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-30-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:

Let me guess , you live in a small or rural town , probably not alot of friends or a great job, maybe you suffer from depression ?

I had a friend who was in my fraternity at UF and he hated gainesville and he said life was so much better in the northern town he came from, he was surrounded by gorgeous warm weather and some of the most beautiful and tan girls in america in florida, a great social life he never took part of, and beautiful weather and beautiful southern beaches for our sailing not far from our house, but life was so much better in the northern rust belt town where he came from.

His family came to visit and told us his life was miserable in high school as well, it is weird how people make life so great where they came from but the same social and career failures plague them everywhere.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Whatever makes you feel better. I try not to run down people from different regions of the country. We are all Americans. One group of people are not better than another. I know some people think they are, but that's just ignorance showing.
Well, I've tried both and I agree with the prevailing stereotypes. They exist for a reason and it doesn't help anything for people to deny it. The first step to lowering the obesity rate and other societal ills is admitting there's a problem, not whining when someone makes an accurate observation.

You can say all men and equal, all regions are equal, and all that fuzzy nonsense. Statistics say otherwise.
It's time to stop making excuses.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Let me guess , you live in a small or rural town , probably not alot of friends or a great job, maybe you suffer from depression ?

I had a friend who was in my fraternity at UF and he hated gainesville and he said life was so much better in the northern town he came from, he was surrounded by gorgeous warm weather and some of the most beautiful and tan girls in america in florida, a great social life he never took part of, and beautiful weather and beautiful southern beaches for our sailing not far from our house, but life was so much better in the northern rust belt town where he came from.

His family came to visit and told us his life was miserable in high school as well, it is weird how people make life so great where they came from but the same social and career failures plague them everywhere.
Nope, I found a WONDERFUL circle of friends, and I moved closer to Atlanta to get away from the redneckery. Now that I'm away from all that for the most part, I'm much happier. It doesn't mean I won't call a spade a spade.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I have read this time and time again on C-D. Another person from a different part of the country that judges an entire region based on the small town they moved to.

What did you expect from a small town in Georgia? You're literally comparing Carrollton to Boston, regardless of the region they are in.
You know why I'm comparing? Because Scotty said "there are rednecks everywhere". No, there isn't. The cultural difference between north and south couldn't be any more distinct. Saying we're all the same is just pure ignorance.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM

295 posts, read 296,767 times
There are plenty in NY.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Nope, I found a WONDERFUL circle of friends, and I moved closer to Atlanta to get away from the redneckery. Now that I'm away from all that for the most part, I'm much happier. It doesn't mean I won't call a spade a spade.
much happier? lol . Do you suffer from depression? it sounds like it

You seem to make alot of contradictory statements , one minute you talk live you are living in a small town in georgia , now you live near atlanta or maybe you are just ghosting and trolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.