Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM

141 posts, read 381,914 times

Advertisements

It's "overwhelmingly red" because the electoral/congressional districts that are largest in area are overwhelmingly Republican. They're the largest in area because they're the most sparsely populated ones. A cartogram that showed each district as the same size would be the best detailed political map to show the true political dynamics of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with proving that New York is a "conservative" city?
1. Because I think most true white-New Yorkers (this means whites who were raised and still live in the city) are sick of the labels that no longer apply to them.
2. Because I think there are a lot of people here who can't tell the difference between 80%+ and 50-70%
3. most NYs don't know the numbers that show in the most conservative areas of the city would rival the deep south (and in many cases the most educated parts of the city ((at least the doctors and lawyers) live in Conservative areas)
4. and most importantly I still have not found any district in this country that had what NYC had which is a 90% + McCain voting% and I would like to know if there is any city that in it's most Conservative areas matches New York. (though the reaction to some of my questions would lead me to a 5th reason to see why you would want to silence me (though I have my theories) on what in my personal live conversations with people actually interests them)

Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
just a few question for all those who don't want to post this (before I startied posting this)
1. how many of you here would have guesses that NYC had a 90% McCain district (25)
2. how many realized that SI was not the most Conservative areas in NYC (SIs top McCain ED was 75.6 there were more than 100 EDs in NYC that were higher then that).

which leads me to my new question
and how come nobody could give me even 1 city outside of NY that had a McCain 90% ED but don't like when I bring say that NYC had 25 of what no one seems to be able to find anywhere else?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:56 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
1. Because I think most true white-New Yorkers (this means whites who were raised and still live in the city) are sick of the labels that no longer apply to them. 2. Because I think there are a lot of people here who can't tell the difference between 80%+ and 50-70%
3. most NYs don't know the numbers that show in the most conservative areas of the city would rival the deep south (and in many cases the most educated parts of the city ((at least the doctors and lawyers) live in Conservative areas)
4. and most importantly I still have not found any district in this country that had what NYC had which is a 90% + McCain voting% and I would like to know if there is any city that in it's most Conservative areas matches New York. (though the reaction to some of my questions would lead me to a 5th reason to see why you would want to silence me (though I have my theories) on what in my personal live conversations with people actually interests them)
There is definitely total agenda behind behind this. It's pretty rare that when someone feels so compelled to make this kind of polarizing point that a civil debate or stimulating dialogue would ever come of it. They usually become vulgar and feeble minded with two bit defenses. We've all seen it. Tired of "labels" so they must impose their own labels. Two sides of the same coin really. To underscore voting districts with a 90% pigeon holed percentage of statistics is to polarize on the extreme side of limited black and white thinking.

Nonetheless, there is an appropriate place for this kind of dialogue where there is room for political hothead discussion. General US is not one of them. Political and Other Controversies forums are much better suited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
which leads me to my new question
and how come nobody could give me even 1 city outside of NY that had a McCain 90% ED but don't like when I bring say that NYC had 25 of what no one seems to be able to find anywhere else?
because......

#1. This is not a political discussion thread, it's off topic in this forum. However you will find Political threads on C-D.

#2. Not a lot of people really care. 2008 election is past tense.

#3. This is a democracy, and some people are open to different ideas and don't have to commit to one side or another of the debate and join the Us vs. Them pissing contest. That's what these hard party line debates have become.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-14-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.