Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If you look at the statistics portion of this site, you'll see that the "average" commute time for many cities, especially their suburbs, is usually around 20-30 minutes. Often it is more, and of course less, for some of us. We are fortunate enough not to have to drive so far.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, it really doesn't bother me that you like living in the suburbs. I'm just venting my personal frustration of suburban life.

This is another one of the things that frustrates me about living in metropolitan areas in general.

Ahh, back to that cabin in the woods, living off the land, away from all the whatever...............................
Well, I suppose you are right, but I don't think the City-Data stats distinguish between suburban and urban residents when they post that data. I agree, I'm not trying to be argumentative either, but I do know people who live in the city and commute just as far/long. My daughter, for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,418 times
I don't begrudge anyone their suburban life, but honestly I just don't understand it. I moved out of the suburbs the first chance I got and haven't looked back. I'm a city girl, this is where I was meant to be and I have intention of ever leaving. I suppose it might be different if I had children, but honestly I kinda doubt it. Raising kids in the city might have more challenges, but I think it's well worth it.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
^ I agree. I grew up in the suburbs, but from around age 17 I started going into cities more and I just naturally felt like that was where I HAD to be.

I love going back to the suburbs to use a car and stock up on things at Wal-Mart and see friends, but I'd totally go crazy if I couldn't get back to my little world on the north side. I really love just reading books and listening to music on the train going to work, being able to enjoy the outdoors and walking to stores/restaurants/bars/clubs/friends houses.

I think it just depends on who you are, the only key is actually GOING for it once you know what you really want. We had a good friend who lived in the city and was never really happy, she finally moved out to the sprawburg suburbs out west, and realized how much she loved it. We couldn't rationalize with her on the move, but I'm so happy for her - she truely loves the suburbs. Nothing wrong with that, everyone is different, just do what makes you happy and live and let live.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
READ>>I grew up in the suburbs and though my childhood was far from horrid it wasn't happy either. My memories consist of neatly trimmed lawns, aloof/two faced neighbors who have perfected the art of deception while smiling pretending to be your best friend. The kids were bored out of their minds and had nothing to do but maybe go play baseball (again) at the local park about 7 blocks away. You had these silly block parties where you were forced in to getting to know people as opposed to let it happen naturally. Suddenly, conflicts and disagreements began to surface and there were no more "come over for dinners" now it's stay away type of an attitude. Kids would engage in criminal behavior "far more" than any child in the city. Just because "Johnny" looks cute and dress nicely doesn't mean he won't kill you in a heartbeat. Worst of all there was no culutre, no diversity, complete boredom and the only thing to keep you company are the walls in your house. Now, if this isn't hell I don't know what is. You couldn't pay me enough to live in the suburbs, never, no chance in hell would I subject myself to that kind of a life. You can have a far more rewarding life by raising your family in the city. You have access to everything outside of your door and when you're home you're home with the door closed. Let's be honest here people move to the suburbs for one of two reasons 1) Get away from people 2)lower housing prices. First, you're far better off getting lost around large numbers of people as opposed to living in a small community where everyone makes it their business to know your business. The housing prices may be lower but is that worth being stuck in the middle of nothingness.
WOW. This is by far one of the BEST POSTS IVE EVER READ IN ANY FORUM. You are AWESOME!!!

if i could i would give you reputation points every minute every day for this post !!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:43 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,608 times
Great thread Colts.

I've lived in the city of Chicago for a decent chunk of my life and I love it. There was a time when I lived in the suburbs of another city (give you a clue: starts with S and ends with S) when I was younger and I HATED it. There was always this judgement of neighbors, to friends in the parish, and school. A completely hidden hatred and a "culture" of being phony and fake-happy. Granted, there were those who were genuinely good, but for the most part there was this constant judgement of neighbor.

In gradeschool, the world was so small and secluded in the suburb. People there thought the "city" was nothing but ghetto and crime filled. They judged those with different styles of clothes, people with different hair (actually more stylish and trendy than the suburbanites), people that were weird, people that defied the norm. And this is honest to god truth. People hated things that were differnt. When I was young, I always dreamed of life opposite of that, a life where people didn't judge you if you were of a different background..

Then we moved to the city of chicago, and the rest is history. Friends of all different backgrounds. I could wander anywhere and explore. My friends were cultured and all had different backgrounds themselves. And stuffy fake suburbanites were NO WHERE to be found except michigan ave on weekends, mixing in with other awkward tourists we just laughed at.

That's why I can't stand the suburbs because of what i experienced. The stuffiness. The constant awareness of how you're supposed to be. Sure, city life is faster paced and your awareness is focused on other things cause theres so much going on around you....but at least its not focused on the constant judging and "way to be" of the suburbs.

I think the best is to be raised in the city, become street smart and cultured and see many different faces of life...and before you get too hard, move out to the countryside and live peacefully.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
I guess I'm the weird suburb geek. I grew up in the burbs of different cities. Spent my 20's and 30's in Chicago (Wicker Park, not the burbs) and now that I have a family, have come to love the burbs again. I like the quiet and the convenience of shopping and the parks with playgrounds for my kids. I guess when my kids move out I'll have the City-Urge again but not right now. I would totally recommend for anyone youngster just starting out to live in a city for the experience of being on your own in new and different surroundings. You don't hafta live in a rough 'hood or anything, but to get that urban feel day to day made me a better person.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
I don't like suburbs. I like the big city (at least I think I do, as I've never lived in one), and I like small towns, but I don't like the in between (namely, suburbs). I dislike suburbia because of the sameness, the traffic, the dominance of soulless national chains everywhere, and the complete and utter dominance of car culture.

I see very few advantages to the suburbs, except for more square feet of house for the money. Some people would say green space, but I'd disagree. I've lived in suburbs where you'd get killed if you took your bike out on the "main drag" because the areas are so car-centric that they are entirely unfriendly and dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists. You get in your car to go the grocery store thats 1/2 mile away because there's no safe way to walk there. You may not have your own yard in a big city, but usually cities have a network of bike trails and bike lanes, along with city parks, that may actually provide BETTER outdoor opportunities than the burbs, which typically lack public space. Plus, in some US cities (not most sadly), there is access to a good public transit system, that saves you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

Small towns I don't mind because the traffic is less, the outdoor recreation is good, and they are not boring bedroom communities - they have "lives of their own". I live in a small town now (Blacksburg, VA) and love it - but the social scene is lacking - so I'm thinking of moving to the big city (Arlington, right across the river from DC) for a while while I'm a young single guy. Maybe I'll move back to a small town when I have a family. Never the burbs though!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I think I have a "middle American" mindset and a middle American soul which mostly correlates to what your getting at, I think, the OP that is.

I'm 23 now and while I'm going to have a high paying career after I finish school (either pharmacy or dental) I'll always have a middle American soul, I'll never be one of those snobby elitists types. I want to be the kind of person who takes my kids to NASCAR races, rodeos and football and basketball games. I will always feel more at home drinking beer rather than wine, going to WalMart rather than Starbucks, and getting my coffee at McDonalds or 7-Eleven and not Starbucks. I'll also take Coronas and Coors over Sam Adams or specialty beers anyday. For me its the backyard barbecue instead of the country club, going offroading instead of horseback riding, motorboats instead of saiboats and a John Deere baseball cap instead of some exquisite Russian made fur hat. I'm an educated person but in my heart and soul I'll always be and strive to be just your average down home, middle American, down to earth kind of person.

I'll never drive a Jaguar or a BMW like those yuppies. When I have enough money I will buy a large, loud, powerful Ford or Chevy pickup that I can revve my engines with when I stop at a red light next to a cute girl. I'll always go eat at fast food places and at Outback and Applebees and Bennigan's instead of some snobby place. And no, no urban loft for me, I want to live on a large plot of land with lots of open space and privacy. At the same time I dont' want to be too far from civilziation and i don't want to be too far from the movie theater, the supermarket or restaurants. So I guess I'm pretty suburban.

Al that urban yuppie thing really turns me off.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think I have a "middle American" mindset and a middle American soul which mostly correlates to what your getting at, I think, the OP that is.

I'm 23 now and while I'm going to have a high paying career after I finish school (either pharmacy or dental) I'll always have a middle American soul, I'll never be one of those snobby elitists types. I want to be the kind of person who takes my kids to NASCAR races, rodeos and football and basketball games. I will always feel more at home drinking beer rather than wine, going to WalMart rather than Starbucks, and getting my coffee at McDonalds or 7-Eleven and not Starbucks. I'll also take Coronas and Coors over Sam Adams or specialty beers anyday. For me its the backyard barbecue instead of the country club, going offroading instead of horseback riding, motorboats instead of saiboats and a John Deere baseball cap instead of some exquisite Russian made fur hat. I'm an educated person but in my heart and soul I'll always be and strive to be just your average down home, middle American, down to earth kind of person.

I'll never drive a Jaguar or a BMW like those yuppies. When I have enough money I will buy a large, loud, powerful Ford or Chevy pickup that I can revve my engines with when I stop at a red light next to a cute girl. I'll always go eat at fast food places and at Outback and Applebees and Bennigan's instead of some snobby place. And no, no urban loft for me, I want to live on a large plot of land with lots of open space and privacy. At the same time I dont' want to be too far from civilziation and i don't want to be too far from the movie theater, the supermarket or restaurants. So I guess I'm pretty suburban.

Al that urban yuppie thing really turns me off.
Wow, you and I share a lot in common...

Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 AM

54 posts, read 83,935 times
Thumbs up great shot...where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
To me, this is the preferrable option:

http://www.michaelforsberg.com/gallery/images/056.jpg (broken link)
evrything in the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.