Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 11:27 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
That's the argument that myself and a few others were making. That being the major hub airport for Delta has way skewed the visitor numbers mentioned in the original link.
I'm not sure if it does, but let's say I buy a ticket from Baton Rouge to Colorado Springs via Houston, my ticket just says I'm flying from Baton Rouge to Colorado right?

Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm not sure if it does, but let's say I buy a ticket from Baton Rouge to Colorado Springs via Houston, my ticket just says I'm flying from Baton Rouge to Colorado right?
I knew there would be screams of righteous indignation from that crowd when I posted that Top 10 list. There are always those that go apoplectic when someone tries to give Atlanta any credit whatsoever. And yet, there is a hotel building boom there the likes of which I've never seen. People aren't just 'flying through'.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
The 'Flights to' stat is incredibly skewed by states containing major airline hub airports.

States like Georgia, Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota are all clearly seen as being traveled to more than they actually are because they contain major hub airports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
This also doesn't seem to account for having a layovers at hub airports. Look at all the states with big airline hubs, and they are all low on the flyover list, and not all are major tourist hubs compared to neighboring flyover states (Here's looking at you Georgia, Michigan and Minnesota with your Delta hubs.
These are still states that have major population centers, and are corporate hubs. Regardless of hub activity i'm not sure why it would be surprising that they would perform better than average in this metric. They do not out perform the big cliche coastal states. I think people are weighing their impressions of leisure travel too heavy into what they think the outcomes should be. Larger populations will naturally affect the comings and goings for these types of metrics.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Most of those people aren't going to Atlanta to visit or stay, they're flying into and out of the airport. Period. They don't leave the airport.
Do you realize how utterly ridiculous this sounds? Atlanta has totally respectable O&D numbers that align with its size and stature.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:53 AM

105 posts, read 94,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I knew there would be screams of righteous indignation from that crowd when I posted that Top 10 list. There are always those that go apoplectic when someone tries to give Atlanta any credit whatsoever. And yet, there is a hotel building boom there the likes of which I've never seen. People aren't just 'flying through'.
Do you always act smug when called out for no sources? If you have a legitimate source that Atlanta is as traveled as your previous one claimed then I'll believe you.

I'm not believing some buzzfeed style top-10 list that looks like it was written by an intern and has nothing even remotely resembling a source or methodology.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That raised my eyebrows as well.
A popular tourist destination, but how many of them arrive by air?
Yeah, exactly. I was like uhm, Maine?

No, some of the data is flawed.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
The notion of "flyover states" is silly, because states don't matter. Western and Upstate NY are more "flyover" than Milwaukee or Salt Lake City.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:22 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Do you realize how utterly ridiculous this sounds? Atlanta has totally respectable O&D numbers that align with its size and stature.
Actually, as previously posted, Atlanta has one of the lowest O&D percentages of any airport, somewhere between 30-40% depending on the year, the other 60-70% are just changing planes.

Here is data on O&D (aka people whose origin or final stop is an airport) from 2018:

https://www.orlandoairports.net/site...OandD_Rank.pdf

That year, ATL had 37.9% staring or ending at ATL. That was second lowest percentage in the country after Charlotte. Most of that is likely residents and business. That's still 19 million passengers, good for 8th most in US, which is right around the size of the Atlanta MSA. I'm not saying Atlanta underperforms in tourism, I'm just ssying it's not a huge overperformer and looking only at number of flights that land in a state is skewed when you have a huge hub with tons of flights that only a low percentage of people are getting off of.

Last edited by Texamichiforniasota; 07-01-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 11:37 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I guess I just have never known anyone going to Atlanta, as a "tourist." Always a purpose. And, then, not very often.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:45 AM

255 posts, read 159,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I guess I just have never known anyone going to Atlanta, as a "tourist." Always a purpose. And, then, not very often.
Wouldn't "a purpose" still contribute quite a bit to this metric? Even if tourism wasn't much, which I'm guessing it actually is, the corporate presence in Atlanta is massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.