Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowYourDreams View Post
Hampton Roads VA? or did you say Colorado? I couldn't find a Hampton Roads in Colorado. Where in Colorado were you suggesting?
I'm sorry... COL = Cost Of Living.

Yes, I definitely meant Hampton Roads in the state of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 115,284 times
Oh lol my bad. I looked up Portsmouth, VA and Norfolk, VA and they seem to be really nice. I haven't looked up the jobs/crime rate/cost of living etc yet. Also I saw someone post about Portland, OR and it was beautiful and I loved it but I wonder if it will be too cold.

I think I like more of the 70-80 range with a few 90 days rather than 80-90 all the time. The worst part of it all is that so far my favorite two are San Francisco, CA and Portland, OR and it is a pretty big move from Chattanooga, TN to either of them. I'm not even sure how to go about it all.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Quote:
Also I saw someone post about Portland, OR and it was beautiful and I loved it but I wonder if it will be too cold.
Portland is surprisingly warm considering how far north it is. Temperatures rarely go below freezing, and when snow falls, which happens once or twice a year, the city virtually shuts down.

In summer there are usually one or two heat waves with temps in the 90s for a few days, but humidity is low in the summer.

The aspect of Portland's weather that tends to bother people the most is that it's overcast and rainy/drizzly for about eight or nine months of the year. Plus we're so far north that daylight is noticably shorter near the winter solstice.

You know the kind of winter days where the sun is bright and the air is crisp and about 10-15 degrees? We don't get those. Winter days in Portland are more likely to be 35 degrees, windy and raining. If that sounds tolerable, then definitely take a closer look at Portland.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Yes, I would've tossed in Seattle/Portland but for the whole:

Quote:
2-The weather is kind of a biggie in my book. We both favor warm weather and tend to dislike the extremes (although I am more picky). I realize that no matter where we move there are going to be days that are more hot/cold than I would normally like however, I am really hoping to find a place that has an avg. temp in the 70-80's and is not too humid.
It's not at all extreme... in fact, it's very mild. However, if you're a warm weather person-- I'm just not sure if there's enough warm summer days to justify the rest of the year. A lot of people can't stand it either (then again, there are those who just *love* it). We barely got a summer last year, so everyone I know in Seattle is just jittery for a nice (WARM!!!!) one this year. Winters tend to be hardest on a lot of people as you'll rarely see the sun for weeks (except in El Niño years) and the day starts late (7-8am) and ends early (4pm). Summers are generally just glorious (sun up to almost 10@ night!). Humidity doesn't bother. Hardly rains. So beautiful. But it doesn't last long and you're not guaranteed a warm summer every year. Added bonus.... we just don't have bugs/pests in huge numbers... mosquitos are also not as in abundance like in the SE.

Also the $500-900 for a house is almost unheard here (in Seattle)... mostly likely you're either renting from a friend or at a quite distance from the main city. Possible for apartments, but it may be in a less desirable area or further away from the city. Pay is more likely to be higher in Seattle, but not necessarily Portland. Also Portland is on a river; Seattle has Puget Sound which is briny... both are a couple hours away from the coast which is... cold almost all the time. But fantastically beautiful. Refer to Ruby Beach WA, and Canon Beach OR (these are the more well-known). Seattle has more water holes than Portland.

Seattle tends to have a more healthier economy than Portland. So you'll have to decide what will be your poison. Oregon has no sales tax but has income tax. Washington has no income tax but has sales tax ( around 9.5% depending where you are ).

Last edited by Inkpoe; 06-09-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Have you tried checking out ****.com ? You take a little quiz and it tells you where you should live, based on your answers.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM

466 posts, read 1,062,489 times
We live at the Oregon Coast and are looking to relocate, it is colder and wetter than Portland, where we lived before. We pay 600 dollars here at the coast near Tillamook for a mobile home on a private lot, but we can't even move back to Portland, if we want to live in a house. Before we paid 900 dollars for a 2 bedroom house with a big yard. We have a dog, that's why we always try to find a rental house and not an apartment. Portland is far to expensive for what people earn in general here. And the weather is 8 months of overcast/rain with a few sunny days in autumn/winter/spring and a beautiful summer, with low humidity and temperatures seldom in the 90s.
You would have to pay twice as much here for the same house you rent in TN.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM

43 posts, read 115,284 times
Default Update

We checked out a lot of the places mentioned and I did take a quiz on some website that told me what cities would best fit me. We seriously considered Charleston, SC, Portland OR, San Francisco CA. and Jacksonville FL. I think after looking into it more we are leaning toward Jacksonville FL. I just hope it not too hot and humid.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Jax is a pretty good choice. It's a city of about a million people. Jacksonville Beach is a cool area. Downtown isn't bad. Jax is really really spread out though. You are close to Daytona. University of North Florida is in Jax. The only thing that perturbed me a bit was a LOT of white trashy types. But there are also a lot of professionals and regular people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.