Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Oh crap you're right. They are right outside my window!!!
Protect your head! XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Any Southern or Northern state.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Any Southern or Northern state.
So you are afraid of the east?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM

144 posts, read 270,621 times
I see Mississippi is mentioned a couple of times.

I've been through that state several times and I wasn't never really scared. However, it seems everytime I get off the interstate, it turns sour.

For example, when I passed through Meridian, I stopped at a McDonald's to order coffee. The place was dirty and the service was kind of slow. When I got the coffee, it was burnt. Oh well that happens, but every other McDonald's I've been to will throw out burnt coffee or remake it. I didn't make a fuss about because it seemed like the people working the front didn't care either way.

By the time I got to Laurel, MS, it was time for lunch so I ate at a pizza place. It wasn't horrible, but the tables were not being cleaned off and frankly, it looked nasty.

On the way back through MS, I stopped at an Arby's in Hattiesburg and the place was filled with smoke. Apparently something was burning in the back. But that didn't seem to bother the customers.

I then stopped for some gas (also in Hattiesburg) and heard the THUMP THUMP THUMP of radios blasting in the parking lot. While I was getting on the interstate, a car flung a rock into my windshield.

I said heck with this, I'm just waiting until I get to Alabama to eat and got out of Mississippi as fast as I could.

I'm sure Mississippi isn't a horrible place, but my experiences through there kind of tainted my view.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I can't say I'm actually scared to travel to any state, but there are certainly parts of some states I just would not go to.

Black folks have wry jokes about some places that are known for being very dangerous in the past, as in "the trees are high in Mississippi (or Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc)", and while I wouldn't expect to be lynched if I just passed through, I know there are lots of areas in the South (and North and East and West) where I would fear for my safety simply because of what I look like.
Whoa, dude you living in the 1950s or something lol

Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM

717 posts, read 898,765 times
I'm sayin.

In the South of 2011, the black man's biggest enemy is...the black man. I'd feel safer walking barefoot on a red dirt road at night through some Mississippi town filled with the KKK than I would driving through one of the ghettos in New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, or Memphis.

Atleast if the klansmen get me, I'll be on CNN ....if I get killed in the hood, I'm just another N that got shot.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,626 times
I am terrified of states in tornado alley, and states where earthquakes are frequent.

Also, I am scared of New Jersey because of how bad the roads are laid out, and the whole no left turn thing makes it very very easy to get lost anywhere south of Bergen county.

As for crime, every state has good parts and bad parts, it's odd but I can't see myself fearing a whole state because of that.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Michigan, mainly because of the climate. I'm one of those who live in 90 degrees 365 days of the year. Even Oregon is too cool and gloomy for me.

I can name several cities that I'd fear because of crime, but not a whole state in general.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I am terrified of states in tornado alley, and states where earthquakes are frequent.

Also, I am scared of New Jersey because of how bad the roads are laid out, and the whole no left turn thing makes it very very easy to get lost anywhere south of Bergen county.

As for crime, every state has good parts and bad parts, it's odd but I can't see myself fearing a whole state because of that.
IMO, these are sensible reasons. However, for what it's worth, I lived in Tornado Alley for almost 30 years and I've never seen a tornado.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
I would never visit Mississippi. I'm sure I would get in an argument/fight with a local over their imposing religious views and closed mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.