Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do realize the port of Philly (falls under 8 or 10 differnet port names) is at nearly 150 million tons
Don't get a point here

Quote:
And coupled with Norfolk to Baltimore, to Philly, to NYC, to Boston still some failry substantial shipping volume - Even compared to the behomoth port of houston which is extremely impressive and growning Philly is at 70% the volume (or even 65% that of NOLA). And is still the 4th largest in the country nearly 75 Million tons ahead Long beach at #5; which should be number 5 on your list but this is something often missed as the port of Philly is listed under so many different ports and in different states and municipalities all lined up along the Delaware River - Collectively called the Delaware River Port Authority - they also run a subway line and control many of the bridges and airports here as well.
Never seen philly ranked high in any variation of names. Long Beach is on the lists, check again.

Quote:
The Gulf is very substantial however and has more room to expand and likely will but still will by no means a majority share in any near future.
But I just showed you that it already has a majority share of the tonnage. Half of the tonnage going in or out of the US goes through the Gulf. 20 Percent goes threw The Port of Houston and Port of South Louisiana (combining the rest of the ports that operate under the Port authority of these ports gives 30% of US Tonnage). How can over 50% not be a majority??

[quote}
Also on your last point of Region - if you add up NYC/Philly and Baltimore you are at ~350 Million tons, very close to the MS Delta and not so far behind the SE TX, and really only make this point because i think it often goes below the radar as there are so many more prominent industries in this region but shipping is still very substantial with tremendous railiroad infrastructure right to the docks - this is where all the railroads started actually. Not to mention the closest proximity and shipping time to highest volume of population.[/quote] You cannot make up your port regions. Just because NYC and Philly are in the NE does not operate under the same Port region. A Port Region is a concentration of shipping activity around an economic center

List of world's busiest port regions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't get a point here

Never seen philly ranked high in any variation of names. Long Beach is on the lists, check again.

But I just showed you that it already has a majority share of the tonnage. Half of the tonnage going in or out of the US goes through the Gulf. 20 Percent goes threw The Port of Houston and Port of South Louisiana (combining the rest of the ports that operate under the Port authority of these ports gives 30% of US Tonnage). How can over 50% not be a majority??

Also on your last point of Region - if you add up NYC/Philly and Baltimore you are at ~350 Million tons, very close to the MS Delta and not so far behind the SE TX, and really only make this point because i think it often goes below the radar as there are so many more prominent industries in this region but shipping is still very substantial with tremendous railiroad infrastructure right to the docks - this is where all the railroads started actually. Not to mention the closest proximity and shipping time to highest volume of population. You cannot make up your port regions. Just because NYC and Philly are in the NE does not operate under the same Port region. A Port Region is a concentration of shipping activity around an economic center

List of world's busiest port regions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As usual HTown you fail to understand the point - on your list the actual port of Philadelphia is listed as ten seperate ports because they are listed under the municipalities/tax entities but they need to be combined which your link and ranking does not; explained this earlier - collectively as the Delaware River port authority which accounts ~150 Million tons per year and yes the Philadelphia port is the 4th largest in the country but again will not waste further time as you once again missed simple points

And on 50% on gross tonage at best on your list I come up with 30% - 51% is a majority last i checked.

Go back to my link and look at Philadelphia, Marcus Hook PA, Paulsboro NJ, Wilmington DE, Chester PA, Camden NJ, New Castle De etc - these are the port of Philadelphia but are seperately as they are seperate tax entities - but why waste my breath here you will never understand logic or math and throw the same link which I explained the error in

Why do i bother with you, honestly

Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
As usual HTown you fail to understand the point - on your list the actual port of Philadelphia is listed as ten seperate ports because they are list under the municipalities/tax entities but they need to be combined which your link and ranking does not; explained this earlier - collectively as the Delaware River port authority which accounts ~150 Million ton per year and yes the Philadelphia port is the 4th largest in the country but again will not waste further time as you once again missed simple points

And on 50% on gross tonage at best on your list I come up with 30% - 51% is a majority last i checked.

Go back to my link and look at Philadelphia, Marcus Hook PA, Paulsboro NJ, Wilmington DE, Chester PA, Camden NJ, New Castle De etc - these are the port of Philadelphia but are seperately as they are seperate tax entities - but why waste my breath here you will never understtand logic or math and throuw the same link which I explained the error in

Why do i bother with you, honestly
I don't fail to understand anything. You post stuff without a link, so I flat out don't believe you. Show me the money and develop your credibility.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I don't fail to understand anything. You post stuff without a link, so I flat out don't believe you. Show me the money and develop your credibility.

WTF read back the link was in the post

and add them up - So fing simple dude - again I will say it slowly your analysis was flawed i explained and addressed and yet you are still bewildered.

List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And also your link and this does not combine because of the tax entity issue but they are all one port and yes it is the 4th largest and nearly the size of the port of NY/NJ but have been down this path. And your other link leaves out the Port of NY/NJ which also did more tonnage than long Beach/LA etc, another error in your link

Here is the original:
Quote:
You do realize the port of Philly (falls under 8 or 10 differnet port names) is at nearly 150 million tons (Look up Philly, Marcus Hook, Paulsboro, Camden, Wilmington, New Castle etc.) though they do operate under a single port authority (And all well within the Philly MSA) they are seperated because the municipalities are so small. Believe it or not Philly (the broader port) is still very large (4th largest in the country just behind the Port NYC/NJ), even in oil. They have also recently completed a dredging to allow the super cargo ships to reach the larger Paulsboro NJ, Philadelphia, and Marcus Hook PA facilities along the Deleware but the author fails to account for that in his statements that no other ports invest in their infrastructure

This is a 2004 link and believe the overall port actvity in the greater Philly port (Delaware River Port Authority) is up by ~15% with the enhancements for the supercargo ships.
List of ports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And coupled with Norfolk to Baltimore, to Philly, to NYC, to Boston still some failry substantial shipping volume - Even compared to the behomoth port of houston which is extremely impressive and growning Philly is at 70% the volume (or even 65% that of NOLA). And is still the 4th largest in the country nearly 75 Million tons ahead Long beach at #5; which should be number 5 on your list but this is something often missed as the port of Philly is listed under so many different ports and in different states and municipalities all lined up along the Delaware River - Collectively called the Delaware River Port Authority - they also run a subway line and control many of the bridges and airports here as well.

The Gulf is very substantial however and has more room to expand and likely will but still will by no means a majority share in any near future.

Also on your last point of Region - if you add up NYC/Philly and Baltimore you are at ~350 Million tons, very close to the MS Delta and not so far behind the SE TX, and really only make this point because i think it often goes below the radar as there are so many more prominent industries in this region but shipping is still very substantial with tremendous railiroad infrastructure right to the docks - this is where all the railroads started actually. Not to mention the closest proximity and shipping time to highest volume of population.

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-26-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
Quote:
I keep hearing that. What particularly are you concerned about???

The increase in industrialization, or the ship activity itself???
I worry more about the industrialization than the ship activity itself. The drilling and the development/loss of natural habitat concern me. It also bothers me that the ocean is sometimes viewed as a vast dumping ground and a lot of pollution is put in the water.

I love the gulf coast (particularly the LA, AL and FL portions where I have spent a lot of time) and it concerns me that development may happen in non-sustainable ways that will basically "use up" a lot of the natural resources while ruining other resources and that once the easy money is gone it will have negative long-term conseqeuences on the area.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Other than Houston, what has given anyone here any indication that the Gulf Coast (LA, MS, AL, north FL) is actually even within striking distance as replacing either the West Coast or East Coast as the #2 in the country?

The high poverty rates, illiteracy, poor non minimum wage job prospects, and decrepit infrastructure really have a chance of replacing LA-SF or Boston-DC.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Kotkin as usual is spot on.

And to be clear, he is not someone outside California throwing rocks. He's a hard core SoCal, and comes at this thing from an amicus perspective.

This article needs to be carefully read and considered.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I worry more about the industrialization than the ship activity itself. The drilling and the development/loss of natural habitat concern me. It also bothers me that the ocean is sometimes viewed as a vast dumping ground and a lot of pollution is put in the water.

I love the gulf coast (particularly the LA, AL and FL portions where I have spent a lot of time) and it concerns me that development may happen in non-sustainable ways that will basically "use up" a lot of the natural resources while ruining other resources and that once the easy money is gone it will have negative long-term conseqeuences on the area.

Well the drilling is going on whether or not the bigger ships come in. As for Industrialization, yeah the port is gonna add to that, but for a city that large Industry is gonna come or else the city is not gonna stay large.

I still don't know what deepening dredging an already dredged waterway by a few extra feet has to do with non sustainable development and using up resources. Houston needs the channel deepened by 4 feet.

are you concerned with drilling for oil or shipping cause it seems you are thinking of oil rather than shipping

Quote:
WTF read back the link was in the post

and add them up - So fing simple dude - again I will say it slowly your analysis was flawed i explained and addressed and yet you are still bewildered.
again you fail to understand what it means by proving what you say.
again you just posted a list of ports and tell me to add them up, but you have failed to post post anything that says I SHOULD add them up.

Come on. you expect me to believe I should add up all the ports up and down the east coast in 3 different states just because you say so? Get real.

I could add the ports all along the Texas Coast and tell you they are one but would you swallow those pills???

Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Other than Houston, what has given anyone here any indication that the Gulf Coast (LA, MS, AL, north FL) is actually even within striking distance as replacing either the West Coast or East Coast as the #2 in the country?

The high poverty rates, illiteracy, poor non minimum wage job prospects, and decrepit infrastructure really have a chance of replacing LA-SF or Boston-DC.
Well that is all the article. I don't think anyone here is talking about anywhere replacing anywhere. I think it is a great thing for the gulf coast, but that is all I think.

As for the other part, I think other areas are seeking funding for deepening their ports and signing contracts with the people in Panama

Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:

again you fail to understand what it means by proving what you say.
again you just posted a list of ports and tell me to add them up, but you have failed to post post anything that says I SHOULD add them up.

Come on. you expect me to believe I should add up all the ports up and down the east coast in 3 different states just because you say so? Get real.

I could add the ports all along the Texas Coast and tell you they are one but would you swallow those pills???
No I listed the ports of Philly - in the link they add to 130 million tons in 2004 of which they have grown 15% since to nearly 150 Million my point. As I said and again you fail to understand common reason the port is the 4th largest and all within a few miles of each other not along a multiple hundred mile coast. I also explained that the combined NYC/Philly/Baltimore is also at a total 350 Million Tons and as you also listed earlier when you did combine all the SE TX ports those combined in a smaller area are bascially as large as the SE TX figure. Just making a point as you are suggesting there is some some super majority on the Gulf of which there is not, again my initial point as well as correcting an earlier piece of data listing long Beach as the 4th largest in the country which it is not, that is the Delaware River Port also known as the Port of Philadelphia.

Some additional snipits
There are numerous economic benefits from the river. The Delaware River Port Complex (including docking facilities in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware) is the largest freshwater port in the world. According to testimony submitted to a U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee in 2005, the port complex generates $19 billion in annual economic activity. It is one of only 14 strategic ports in the nation transporting military supplies and equipment by vessel to support our troops overseas. The Delaware River and Bay is home to the third largest petrochemical port as well as five of the largest east coast refineries. Nearly 42 million gallons of crude oil are moved on the Delaware River on a daily basis. There are approximately 3,000 deep draft vessel arrivals each year and it is the largest receiving port in the United States for Very Large Crude Carriers (tank ships greater than 125,000 deadweight tons). It is the largest North American port for steel, paper, and meat imports as well as the largest importer of cocoa beans and fruit on the east coast. Over 65% of Chilean and other South American fruits imported into the United States arrive at terminal facilities in the tri-state port complex. Wilmington, Delaware is home to the largest U.S. banana importing port, handling over one million tons of this cargo annually from Central America. According to Rear Admiral Sally Brice-O'Hara, District Commander of the Fifth Coast Guard District, "The port is critical not only to the region, but also to the nation."
The Delaware River Basin

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-27-2011 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.