Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times

Advertisements

There seem to be some common misconceptions about my home state. I want to address them.

1)Atlanta does not claim to even compare to cities like New York.
-Even though some Atlanta posters are rabid on this site, Atlanta is what it is. Maybe it is just my Georgia locality, but I see Atlanta on this site being over boosted and over attacked. Atlanta is a nice city for it's size, with some very nice neighborhoods, and some rough areas. Really, it represents American cities of around 5 million in population pretty well, although with not as much historical significance of cities like Philly or Boston. I do not attempt to compare Atlanta in these areas, and neither should anyone else.

2) We are not racist, inbred, or uneducated.
-Some of the best schools in the United States are in Georgia. This goes for colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. It is true that our test scores are lower in some areas than other states, but this is quickly explained by the large majority of rural areas in what is truly a huge state. We are the largest state east of the mississippi river, contain the nations largest swamp, and the largest wilderness area east of the mississippi. Large rural swaths of the state account for the majority of lower scores, along with lagging minority scores.

There is probably no place in the United States where blacks, whites, and latinos live together in closer proximity or more peacefully. Our neighborhoods are very mixed, unlike many areas I have been in the Northeast or Midwest. The attitudes that I have met in my travels about race relations from people in these areas have been incredible. I am sure that there is a racist element that exists in Georgia, but I also assure you that it is not mainstream.

3) Georgia is beautiful! If you have never travelled the state of Georgia, I encourage you to do so! The north part of the state is heavily mountainous, and full of waterfalls. In the central part of the state, there is obviously Atlanta, and the piedmont area of rolling hills and rivers. In the southeastern part of Georgia, you have the Okeefenokee Swamp area, as well as the Savannah River area, the barrier islands, the coast itself, and the city of Savannah. The southwestern part of the state rolls piedmont into pine forest down into the panhandle of Florida. The area is rich in peanut, cotton, and pecan farms, as well as poultry.

The reason that I am posting this at all is because of what I have seen on City Data in the last five years. Most Americans are completely clueless about their own nation, and there seems to be an especial prejudice against people and states in the south. I encourage those people to come and visit, and would even be available on City Data for information for those that do. I have been to 48 of the United States, and am continually amazed at the misconceptions that some people have about certain areas. I am a well travelled Georgian who admits our historical faults, but seeks our deserved contemporary respect. Thanks for reading.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I wouldn't be terribly discouraged by what you read from some posters on C-D. I think in general there is an "east coast bias" and residents of certain cities love to talk smack about places they've never set foot in other than changing planes at the local airport. It's the same group that likes to use terms such as "flyover states" or "one of those I-states" when describing anyplace in the middle of the country as if it's a worthless topic for discussion. Your invitation to enlighten on the many pluses of your home state will probably go unnoticed unfortunately as we all know in the end, ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't be terribly discouraged by what you read from some posters on C-D. I think in general there is an "east coast bias" and residents of certain cities love to talk smack about places they've never set foot in other than changing planes at the local airport. It's the same group that likes to use terms such as "flyover states" or "one of those I-states" when describing anyplace in the middle of the country as if it's a worthless topic for discussion. Your invitation to enlighten on the many pluses of your home state will probably go unnoticed unfortunately as we all know in the end, ignorance is bliss.

I totally agree. It's a shame such ignorance still exists in this Country.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
I think Georgia isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the states in the deep south.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I think Georgia isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the states in the deep south.
Talk about ignorance and suddenly it rears it's head. My God.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM

What?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What?

OK please explain how the rest of the Deep South states are bad.
I anxiously await you educated response on the Subject.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Here we go again.

Way to introduce the east coast bias.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
OK please explain how the rest of the Deep South states are bad.
I anxiously await you educated response on the Subject.
Because there are places in the deep south (like anywhere else in this country) that are still terribly racist to this day. The obesity rates is high and I know things have changed but if I visit a small town in the deep south I would be worry about being in certain places during the day and night. When northerners and westerners move to a small town in the deep south, some southerners act like northerners or westerners aren't welcome there because some of them think the newcomers will make the southern hospitality or culture of their city or town fade away. But otherwise Georgia is a really popular state in the deep south for the newcomers to relocate because of the low cost of living, good economy, good schools, and it's getting progressive like Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself
Here we go again.

Way to introduce the east coast bias.
Well for one thing, there are A LOT of folks on the East Coast from Maine to Florida. A full third of the US population lives on the Eastern Seaboard alone.

:]

Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
There seem to be some common misconceptions about my home state. I want to address them.

1)Atlanta does not claim to even compare to cities like New York.
-Even though some Atlanta posters are rabid on this site, Atlanta is what it is. Maybe it is just my Georgia locality, but I see Atlanta on this site being over boosted and over attacked. Atlanta is a nice city for it's size, with some very nice neighborhoods, and some rough areas. Really, it represents American cities of around 5 million in population pretty well, although with not as much historical significance of cities like Philly or Boston. I do not attempt to compare Atlanta in these areas, and neither should anyone else.

2) We are not racist, inbred, or uneducated.
-Some of the best schools in the United States are in Georgia. This goes for colleges, high schools, and elementary schools. It is true that our test scores are lower in some areas than other states, but this is quickly explained by the large majority of rural areas in what is truly a huge state. We are the largest state east of the mississippi river, contain the nations largest swamp, and the largest wilderness area east of the mississippi. Large rural swaths of the state account for the majority of lower scores, along with lagging minority scores.

There is probably no place in the United States where blacks, whites, and latinos live together in closer proximity or more peacefully. Our neighborhoods are very mixed, unlike many areas I have been in the Northeast or Midwest. The attitudes that I have met in my travels about race relations from people in these areas have been incredible. I am sure that there is a racist element that exists in Georgia, but I also assure you that it is not mainstream.

3) Georgia is beautiful! If you have never travelled the state of Georgia, I encourage you to do so! The north part of the state is heavily mountainous, and full of waterfalls. In the central part of the state, there is obviously Atlanta, and the piedmont area of rolling hills and rivers. In the southeastern part of Georgia, you have the Okeefenokee Swamp area, as well as the Savannah River area, the barrier islands, the coast itself, and the city of Savannah. The southwestern part of the state rolls piedmont into pine forest down into the panhandle of Florida. The area is rich in peanut, cotton, and pecan farms, as well as poultry.

The reason that I am posting this at all is because of what I have seen on City Data in the last five years. Most Americans are completely clueless about their own nation, and there seems to be an especial prejudice against people and states in the south. I encourage those people to come and visit, and would even be available on City Data for information for those that do. I have been to 48 of the United States, and am continually amazed at the misconceptions that some people have about certain areas. I am a well travelled Georgian who admits our historical faults, but seeks our deserved contemporary respect. Thanks for reading.
GeorgiaFrog you have done good on this one! Wish I could rep you agian but I have to spread reps before I can. Let this be your rep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.