Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM

81 posts, read 152,891 times

Advertisements

If you can stomach the winters, I'd 2nd the areas around Ithaca NY. Upstate NY real estate isn't very expensive at all and rainfall is no problem. Cool weather grasses grow really well, but the growing season is short. You'll need to feed hay or grain in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Some rural areas in the Midwest will also work if you can stomach a little bit of winter. Great rainfall, good hay, reasonable cost of living and plenty of countryside. The metro areas (Toledo, Ann Arbor, etc) have churches, but if you don't attend you're not black listed by the community. I've lived in Mid-MI, NE Ohio and NW Ohio with horses and am not a church goer. Everyone is friendly despite the lack of interest in attending church.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 513 times
Hayfork, CA is beautiful. I have family that lives there and visit quite frequently. I wouldn't say that it is necessarily 'liberal' or 'free thinking' however; a good portion of the population is pretty conservative. However, there is a small arts culture & aging hippie culture there as well. They host the "Tribal Stomp" at the fairgrounds there every summer.

I would suggest the northern coast of California - Arcata or Blue Lake CA or Garberville, CA.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Upstate NY (particularly the Mid-Hudson Valley), New England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.