Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times

Advertisements

If you had the choice and had a family, would you rather live around Boston or NoVa making the same income? Please tell me why either way. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
How much snow do you want to deal with from November-March?

Your profile says you're in California right now......... Boston is pretty cold and gets lots of bad winter weather!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,378,052 times
Not to mention overcrowding, extremly heavy traffic, high crime rate and high cost of living and taxes. Boston is not one of the prettiest or friendly cities I've ever been in either.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
How much snow do you want to deal with from November-March?

Your profile says you're in California right now......... Boston is pretty cold and gets lots of bad winter weather!
Hi Pirate Girl, Lived in both cities and snow is not a problem. I actually loved it. Both areas have bad traffic but the roads in Virginia are trash and pothole free. The expressways are great in Northern Virginia. Some advise would be helpful though. Any large city has issues with crime and from what I have heard, Boston is better than most.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:01 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
I would guess there are plusses and minuses to both if you take weather out of the equation.

Northern Va is full of traffic and rather expensive too- and not very scenic.

The areas seem to have alot in common though. Lots of culture, relative nearness to the beaches as well as the mountains, historical significance, great dining and shopping options.

Consider which area is closer to family...... If you like to travel, consider that in Boston you would be limited to Logan as your only large airport option with Manchester and Providence as smaller choices. In VA you would have Dulles and BWI with Reagan as a middle choice.

I'm not crazy about yankees (even though I'm from NJ)- I'm more suited for the southern lifestyle- although you can hardly consider Northern Va "southern" per se.

New England is beautiful......... even in the winter. I visit there often and I love Newport RI, the cape, the islands, the mountains of NH and VT and the coastal Maine area. There is a quaintness to NE that Va lacks.

However, coastal virginia is nice- Smithfield and the surrounding areas are lovely. And western virginia is very pretty.

I think I'd struggle with that decision as well. Best of luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Would you rather deal with the opressive heat and humidity in Va. or the longer colder winters in Boston? Would you rather live in a multi family home for $1800 in Metro Boston (suburbs) or a SF Townhouse with your own yard or maybe garage for the same price in N.VA? Do I go for the beautiful scenic rides you can take in one day in N.E. along with all the great fall activities as well as all the patriotic celebrations or a few states near Va. where everything pretty much looks the same although pretty. What would be best to raise an independent teen with great cultural activities and recreation? Not an easy choice which is why other opinions and experiences would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.