Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 PM

357 posts, read 1,463,391 times

Advertisements

this is a work in progress, so excuse the messy look and the fact its not done yet, as i need some help.

anyways what this is is a map of the US based on cultural, demographic, linguistic and geographic realities rather than just arbitrary state lines that were drawn up 200 years ago.

ive classified the country into several regions which are numbered on the map

1-Greater Minnesota/Upper midwest/"fargoland"/canada jr/nova scandonavia
-this region corresponds rougly to the "upper midwest" accent which was lampooned in the movie "fargo". the region encompasses all of the counties in the midwest were scandonavians are the largest ethnic group. the area is also overwelmingly lutheran and most of its counties give a sizable, yet not always majority vote to the democrats. the region consists of the coldest parts of the midwest and contains both the northern forests and northern prairies. the black hills and western south dakota area are not included despite still having a sizable scandonavian community. this is because that area has more of a cowboy/outlaw/western vibe due to its terrain and culture (ie-deadwood)

2-interior plains/middle america/prairie peninsula/cornbelt
-this region is mostly centered on the tallgrass section of the great plains. it is mostly farmland/rural but includes such cities as springfield and peoria, il, omaha, kansas city, topeka and wichita ks, lincoln ne and des moines. many of these cities exist on the edge of the high plains. the region tends to be somewhat conservative in politics. the culture and dialect tends to be what is considered "general american". the accent seems neutral to most north americans and ethnicity/religion tends to be white Christian, the divisions in each being a balanced mix of german/anglo-saxon and catholic/lutheran/methodist/baptist. AKA is region is american normalness/blandness defined

3-empty quarter/wild west/frontier west/the real Bible belt
-this area tends to be sparsely populated and very very republican. it consists of high plains/badlands and the rocky mountains and its plateaus and basins. there is a ranching culture in place in the east of this region but most of this land is undesirable for settlement and cold in winter.

4-colorado/front range
-an oasis of moderate liberalism and dense population in the empty quarter. the culture of this area tends to borrow alot from the outdoor-loving, marijuana-tolerating northwest. an exception is colorado springs which is very right wing and religious. the ethnicities of the white people here tend to be mixed germanic/anglo/irish as is the pacific northwest. there is a growing latino pressence in this area as well.

5-mormondom/deseret/greater utah
-areas where the latter day saint church is the dominant religion and "anglo-saxon" is the dominate ethnicity.

6-mexamerica/southwest/aztlan
-this region is dominated by mexican/spanish/latinos. it is warm in climate and consists of many deserts. it also encompasses large areas of southwestern native indian peoples. the religion of the area tends to be catholic and the politics are geared towards the democratic party.

7-texas/south plains/howdyland/home on the range
-this region leans republican and the basis of its culture is southern/dixie. however the terrain tends to be prairie/ranchland. rodeos and cowboy ranch culture dominates this area and their are many adherants of baptist Christianity. a large deal of the white populace here considers their background to be "american" as do many people in the southeast/dixieland. tulsa, oklahoma city, amarillo, waco and dallas are in this region. the oil industry dominates much of this area.

8-prairie borderlands/quasi-arkansas/quasi-midwest/south midlands(west)
-this area can be considered as belonging to region number 2 but has more southern/dixie undertones. most of this area corresponds to the "little dixie" area of central-north missouri which was settled by southerners and practised slavery. the area has more baptists than much of the midwest and has more people who consider their ancestry to be "american" rather than german or english or norse.

9-Great lakes/industrial heartland/interior rustbelt
-this area tends to be manufacturing-intensive and includes large cities with high black populations. the area also tends to vote democratic. the region rougly corresponds to the "great lakes" accent which is very nasal and people tend to draw out their A's. this dialect was lampooned by saturaday night live for their "chicago bears superfans" skit. large polish and german populations inhabit this region and churchs tend to be Catholic.

10-industrial prairies/interior lowlands/manufacturing heartland
-i was considering attaching this to region number 2 or number 9. this area is like region 2 but it has more of a manufacturing base (although it does have plenty of farming as well). like region 9, the area is heavily german and catholic although there are also several methodist-majority counties. politics tend to vary between liberal and conservative.

11-near south/interior borderlands/quasi-kentucky/quasi-midwest
-this area, like area 8, is a mix of midwestern and souther culture. the city of st louis which is within this area has several midwestern/manuffacturing/germanic infleuences yet also has somewhat of a french/new orleans jazz culture/riverboat culture within it. the southern tip of illinois (little egypt) tends to have accents resembling those of the south. the southern part of indiana features souther-type archetecture, accents and is quite conservative. People here are more likely to be baptist and consider themselves of "american" descent. Louisville Ky, also in this area has both midwestern (archetecture, germans) and southern (accents, food, slang) influences.

12-western new york/eastern greatlakes
-i am still considering making this part of region 9. Buffalo and rochester people share almost the same accents as chicago and detroit. this area also has a large manufacturing base and large german and polish populations and is overwelmingly catholic and liberal. it does not seem to have the "rowhouse asthetic" as true east-coast cities do. the rural areas of this region however tend to be more irish/anglo-saxon than the rural areas around detroit and chicago. towns like ithaca and cortland ny have a bit more of a new england vibe to them.

13-upper appalachia
-region dominated by the appalachian hills and mountains. centers of mining and steel processing. includes binghamton ny, youngstown ohio, pittsburgh, and northern panhandle of west virginia. tends to be liberal-moderate in politics and german/czeh/slavic in ethnicity. cities and towns boast many rowhouses like east coast cities do.

14-mid applalachia/appalachian borderlands
-thsi region consists mostly of northern west virginia and the far west of maryland. dialects, ethnicity and culture in this area seem somewhat southern/dixie but the area still very much revolves around pittsburgh and even contains some far exurbs of washington dc.

ok, i am not finished this and, as i stated before, i need some thoughts.

firstly, do you agree with my regions above?

secondly, does new england extend at all into northeastern new york?

are boise and spokane part of the pacific northwest culturally?

is new york city part of the same cultural region as philly and baltimore?

is san francisco part of the pacific northwest? what about the mt shasta area?

is albany part of the same region as new york city? as new england?

is harrisburg appalachian?

is connecticut new england or becoming more like new york city? (italian)

any thoughts or feedback would be highly appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Thats pretty cool scottyr.Yeah I agree with the regions,I do think Buffalo and Rochester should be in the 9th region.Yes,I think New England does extend into Northeatern New York,at least the culture is pretty similar from what I've heard.Spokane and Boise are pretty close to each other,so yeah I'd say thier in the same region,but I think Boise could go with 3 too.Philly,Baltimore,and NYC all have rowhouses so I'd say thier the same region.Northern California could be considered Pacific Northwest,it fits better there than in 6.Albany could go either way,but NYC might be a better fit.Most of P.A. is very hilly,so I think Harrisburg would be a good fit for appalacian.Connecticut can go both ways NYC or Northeast.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM

thanks for the advice, CT

im also wondering if i should divide the south into south appalachia, piedmont, gulf coast, acadiana, mississippi basin, ozarks, atlantic southeast and south florida.

also does anyone know if cedar rapids idaho should be in region 1 or region 2

oh, and is austin tx very latino-dominated? is it a dusty prairie city, cause ive seen pics where it looks more hilly, more like a hip nashville

yeah and finally, does kansas city have much of a rodeo/evangelical culture, or is it safe to stay in region 2?

Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
The southern accent of people from Louisiana and Mississippi is very similar.North Carolina and Virginia definetly should go together,Kentucky and West Virginia go together pretty good.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Image:9nations.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM

i never liked that 9 nations map..always thought it was a bit over-simplified..with part of texas in the same region as minnesota!!!! and new york in the same region as green bay WI.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
I wouldn't consider San francisco as part of the northwest. Yes to the more northern part of California like the Shasta area.

Sometimes Idaho is considered part of the northwest. The kind of odd part is like you see on the nine nations map. Eastern Oregon and eastern Washingtion are a bit different than the western parts.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 PM

work continues on the map

region 15-cascadia/ecotopia/pacific northwest/oregon territory/hippieland-
-this region is defined by its overly secular and liberal values, particularily on the coasts. ethnically, it is mainly white (mixed german/norse/anglo/irish) with above average asian minorities as well as a growing latino population. i added western idaho to this region because of its clean, fast-growing cities (couer d'alene, boise) that share archetectural simularities and an emphasis on outdoor activities with seattle and portland. i also included north california since the temperate rainforests and tall trees that define this region extend into that part of the state. also, san francisco shares the progressive "eco-hippie" new-age culture of seattle and portland.

region 16-nevada
-i hesitated on making this its own region....however this area has some marked differences from region 3 and 6. firstly, aside from vegas, which i include in region 6, nevada is not overly hispanic. secondly, the states liberterian divorce laws, legal gambling and prostitution as well as medical marijuana set it apart from region 3. overall, this is a secular area with low church attendance and is centered on the seedy city of reno.

region 17(unlabelled on map)- Acadiana/french louisiana
-this is the red blotch in south louisiana. pretty straightforward. this area is mainly french and Catholic and is a center of creole and cajun cooking.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 PM

14 posts, read 51,587 times
Default Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
The southern accent of people from Louisiana and Mississippi is very similar.North Carolina and Virginia definetly should go together,Kentucky and West Virginia go together pretty good.
WV and KY go well together..
I live in North Eastern WV and we are nothing like KY!...The southern part of WV is hick like North Carolina...But not the north eastern part.. I live in the northern shanendoah valley of WV..If anything we are like maryland or nothern Va ( loudon county)... God I hate southern WV

Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Region 8 is way too far north in Missouri and covers much of what is rightfully Region 2. The Northern half of Missouri today is 100% part of Region 2, and this includes Columbia, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Region 8 needs to placed at and south of Jefferson City in missouri. Region 8 covers virtually nearly 80% of Southern Missouri, and I would say is bounded on the south primarily by Highway 60. Springfield, Monett, and Joplin and Cape Girardeau are part of this region. if you ask me, Region 8 is between U.S. Highway 50 and U.S. Highway 60. Most places south of these areas and east of the Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri border (with the exception of the Southwestern corner of Missouri and the Northwestern corner of Arkansas) are Southern. Also, the 9 images map likes to claim that Dixie extends to just 30 miles south of St. Louis and all the way up to Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.....all I have to say to that is that it's simply false....as somebody who has ventured on I-55 through Missouri numerous times, I can say with certainty that just south of Cape Girardeau is when it becomes pure Dixie. Even the Ozarks fit in with region 8...they are quasi-Midwestern, quasi-Southern.True Dixieland is Southeastern Missouri primarily below Cape Girardeau it touches Kentucky and Arkansas as well as the bootheel, and extreme Southern Illinois and Indiana, and for Southern Illinois, it is the extreme southern tips of it, mainly around the Shawnee Forest and Cairo and south of Marion. Here is a map that roughly shows you what I'd call the 8 different nations of the United States and the true boundaries of Dixie. Linguistics and the agriculture and weather generally coincide with cultural boundaries.

http://www.evolpub.com/Americandialects/AmDialMap.gif

Last edited by ajf131; 09-23-2007 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.