Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,731 times

Advertisements

Are there any warm and sunny cities with intellectual vibes? Do any exist?

I was thinking about this so figured I would create a post.

Do any of these exist?

No, I do not consider SF warm, it's rather chilly and mild with rainy gloomy winters. And no, Raleigh/Durham does not count, it snows. Same with Atlanta/Athens, they are above the snowline, so don't mention them.

Cities I consider like this might be Boston, Seattle, Ithaca, Princeton, Cambridge, etc.

So are there any warm cities with intellectual vibes? I would think they would need to be in Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Southern Georgia, Southern Alabama, Southern CA, Arizona, New Mexico.

Does a place like this exist? And if not, why? Are people too concerned with weather/outdoors stuff for this to occur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Most of the upper echelon universities, the ones that typically give places that "intellectual vibe," that are in the areas you're considering just happen to be located in larger cities and not quintessential college towns (Rice, USC, etc.). And those larger cities don't have the mass concentration of upper echelon institutions that a city like Boston has (very few larger cities do).

Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
It snows in Raleigh once in a blue moon. When it does snow, the whole city shuts down and everyone plays for a day or two until it melts. I'd hardly consider the Triangle above the snow line. When I was a kid, we'd pray for snow to get a day off. But, snow is inconsistent at best and there are sometimes many years in a row with no snow at all.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It snows in Raleigh once in a blue moon. When it does snow, the whole city shuts down and everyone plays for a day or two until it melts. I'd hardly consider the Triangle above the snow line. When I was a kid, we'd pray for snow to get a day off. But, snow is inconsistent at best and there are sometimes many years in a row with no snow at all.
The average lows for raleigh

Nov 39
Dec 32
Jan 29
Feb 31
March 38

Records snowfall of over an inch on average in Jan, Feb, March and always some on average from Nov-March, can also get ice storms/blizzards. Max snowstorm in Raleigh was 20 inches of snow, which is up there with Chicago levels of max snow fall from a storm.

That is not a warm city to me.

You should know the difference between Florida warm, and NC warm. As I said I wouldn't even consider SF warm as many parts of the area never get above 70 on average as a high in the warmest month of the year. Under 70 to me is "mild weather". In the 30s or below at night is cold weather, especially 5 months out of the year.

Anyway back to discussion, good point with Rice Village. Never spent any time there, how is it? Also what are intellectual areas of LA if there are any? How about Austin?

Last edited by Garfieldian; 09-25-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
no, all smart people are mean.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
For population 25 years and over in Los-Alamos
  • High school or higher: 96.4%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 62.1%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 37.3%
  • Unemployed: 2.3%

For population 25 years and over in
Cambridge
  • High school or higher: 89.5%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 65.1%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 38.5%
  • Unemployed: 6.1%

For population 25 years and over in Princeton
  • High school or higher: 89.4%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 60.1%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 39.6%
  • Unemployed: 42.3%

For population 25 years and over in Oak-Ridge
  • High school or higher: 89.3%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.9%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 17.9%
  • Unemployed: 5.4%

For population 25 years and over in Huntsville
  • High school or higher: 85.7%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 36.1%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 12.7%
  • Unemployed: 6.9%

For population 25 years and over in Boston
  • High school or higher: 78.9%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 35.6%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 15.3%
  • Unemployed: 7.2%

Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
The average lows for raleigh

Nov 39
Dec 32
Jan 29
Feb 31
March 38

Records snowfall of over an inch on average in Jan, Feb, March and always some on average from Nov-March, can also get ice storms/blizzards. Max snowstorm in Raleigh was 20 inches of snow, which is up there with Chicago levels of max snow fall from a storm.

That is not a warm city to me.

You should know the difference between Florida warm, and NC warm. As I said I wouldn't even consider SF warm as many parts of the area never get above 70 on average as a high in the warmest month of the year. Under 70 to me is "mild weather". In the 30s or below at night is cold weather, especially 5 months out of the year.

Anyway back to discussion, good point with Rice Village. Never spent any time there, how is it? Also what are intellectual areas of LA if there are any? How about Austin?
I do understand the difference better than you ever will because I live in both NC and FL. On any given day in the Winter, it can be cold or it can be warm in Raleigh. The day we moved to Raleigh on Jan 11 of '74, it was in the 70s. The Winter weather in Raleigh see-saws from Dec. to early March. The first flowers bloom in February. Piedmont NC is hardly the snow belt. This is especially true for Raleigh since it sits at the very eastern edge of the Piedmont before the landscape becomes the Coastal Plain.

Regarding the 20 inches snow, I remember it well. It was a once in a lifetime event like a 100 year flood is to those living in a river basin. It does not define the typical year or decade.

I have spent Christmas in shorts and Christmas bundled up in a coat in Raleigh. Don't like the Winter weather in Raleigh?... wait a few days...it will change.

But...if you are going to stay technical about where it snows and ices on rare occasions, then you also have to toss out Austin. It happens there too.

In the end, a college town in Florida like Gainesville might be the best example. It's not much of a city but, as most college towns are, its intellectual credentials are elevated. It's can be chilly in the Winter but frost is rare. Even Miami has had about a total of a dozen(ish) days that I'd consider cold in my ten years of experience.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,712,219 times
Savannah is very intellectual.................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savanna...Art_and_Design

Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
savannah is very intellectual.................

Savannah College of Art and Design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lmao!!!!!

I have absolutely nothing against Savannah, but intellectual???? And because of SCAD??? That's the funniest thing I've read all month!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 153,002 times
Austin Texas?

Big arts & music scene. Huge university. Lots of tech companies. Probably most educated city in Texas.

Last edited by PapaGrande; 09-25-2011 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: fixing typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.