Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 120,219 times

Advertisements

I have three kids that goes to public school in New York metropolitan area. They have always off for major Jewish holidays.

Why are U.S. public schools closed for Jewish holidays, when only around 2% of U.S. population are Jewish? Now I have to take off from work and use my "sick" days to stay home with the kids

Jewish students/teachers should take off from school by their own, and not make everyone else be off and force us parents' to take off from work when we don't celebrate the holidays.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against any Jewish people, but it should be fair to all other religions and nationalities.

For example Christians only get Good Friday off, which is 1 day of school calender, while Jews have 3-4 holidays on calender. All other religions have none at all. And no, students are not off for "Christmas Break, or Easter Break". Why aren't schools closed on Easter Monday, Ephipany, Eid and Chinese New Year then?!

Thanks for me and God Bless!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Not all are, it largely depends on the demographic makeup of your area. Statistically, the NY/NJ area has a higher percentage of those who practice Judiasm than the rest of the nation; I'll bet your child's school has a higher percentage than 2- so why shouldn't they get it off?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Not all are, it largely depends on the demographic makeup of your area. Statistically, the NY/NJ area has a higher percentage of those who practice Judiasm than the rest of the nation; I'll bet your child's school has a higher percentage than 2- so why shouldn't they get it off?
But Jewish holidays are not national holidays. Most parents' have to take off from work and use their "sick/vacation" days in order to stay home with kids. BTW most Jewish families sends their kids to private Jewish schools.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomJessy View Post
But Jewish holidays are not national holidays. Most parents' have to take off from work and use their "sick/vacation" days in order to stay home with kids.
Get a babysitter.

Quote:
BTW most Jewish families sends their kids to private Jewish schools.
Not true. At all.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,456 times
Quote:

Why are U.S. public schools closed for Jewish holidays, when only around 2% of U.S. population are Jewish? Now I have to take off from work and use my "sick" days to stay home with the kids
Not all of the U.S. does this. In the deep south, the Jewish kids just skipped school, because we were never out for those holidays. That being said my school only had 4 total while I was in high school. Of those only 1 was a practicing Jew. The other 3 just wanted to skip school and not get in trouble.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Get a babysitter.

Not true. At all.
In this economy, I don't think many parents' could afford babysitters. Not me at least.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
I've never heard of public schools closing on Jewish holidays... That must be an East Coast or New York thing.

You learn something every day.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've never heard of public schools closing on Jewish holidays... That must be an East Coast or New York thing.

You learn something every day.
What about on Good Friday ?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
It didn't used to be this way. I'm Jewish and when I was in school, I had to be excused from classes with a note from my parents saying it was for religious observance because schools didn't close. This was only 10-15 years ago.

Within the last few years, they now close the schools in my area for Jewish holidays.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
This is something your school district does not a U.S. thing. Even here in Miami another area with a very high Jewish population school does not close. I go to UM Law School which its Jewish population must be at least 40% and it does not even close and it is a private school. Of course it is excused if you miss school. But if the school district saw that a lot of kids where out of school, or a lot of teachers etc.. That is just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.