Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
another thing i love about winter...

i don't think there is quite anything like going to a jazz or blues club around christmas time and the holiday season when its nice and cold outside and you just take in the music, have a few cold or warm drinks (hard cider, eggnog, etc.), hang out with your lady/man, and take in the atmosphere of the city. its really something special
My old coworkers/friends started up a Fugly Christmas Sweater pub crawl back in 2003 and have been going strong ever year since. It's amazing how many other santa/christmas sweater, etc. crawls there are these days. I've always been a big sucker for christmas lights. Growing up my parents gave me ONE room in the house where I could decorate until my arms fell off. I'd have over 700 lights lining EVERYTHING, miniture houses everywhere, christmas trees. My mom loved it, my dad thought I was insane. It was our TV room we lounged in every night. It was like a freaky horror show for one month out of the year. Based on that I do always love walking State Street/Michigan Ave on a warmer night in December and playing tourist with all the lights and decorations.

I normally work a lot later in the winter and then have slow summers. So I'm at work until around 7pm anyway during December and January. I love watching the snow come down from my office on the 27th floor, and then watching the lights of the city spread out to the west/north. Our company also picks up the tab for a taxi home after 7pm, so the timing is perfect. Cold+snow=free taxi ride home anyway. It's always shocking on that one day in November when daylight savings ends and suddenly you're at work and it gets dark by 5pm.

Summers are the opposite. At least one night each summer on a Saturday when I'm out till 5am at a bar I always make a point of walking over to the lake and sitting there (normally on the verge of passing out) to watch the sun rise over the water.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
This past summer, I posted a chart on the Pittsburgh forum comparing Pittsburgh weather observations to 12 other major cities. The other cities were, from west to east, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

The chart was last updated on September 4, but only Indianapolis has had any 90-degree days since then. The temperature reached 92 degrees there on September 13, so add one to the 90-degree tally for Indianapolis this past summer.

Whenever I'm not lazy, I'll do one more chart including precipitation totals and departures from normal for each city during the month of September. In the meantime, I hope some of you find the information useful.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm obviously not talking everyone Arizona, Texas, the southeast...obviously those places are going to be hotter. Of course 80's aren't "true summers" to EVERYONE. Comparing a summer in Des Moines/Chicago/New York to Atlanta/Houston doesn't make much sense.

I'm talking about the upper Midwest and the Northeast.

Iowa/Minnesota/northern Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan/northern Indiana/Ohio/Penn/New York and New England. The upper Midwest and the Northeast get similar summers - Chicago's basically is in the middle of that area.

20% in the 70's, 60% in the 80's and 20% in the 90's. Don't you live in Iowa?? It's a place that gets weather about 6 hours before Chicago does.
Des Moines' weather is more similar to Kansas City than it is to Chicago. Yet, all 3 are in the midwest, correct. There is a big difference between Chicago and Kansas City weather. Des Moines would be in the middle, but leaning towards Kansas City.

There are also more sunny days in Des Moines than Chicago as well, and longer daytime sun by 30-45 minutes, which makes a difference in winter. Those things are noticeable.

Chicago averages 84 sunny days per year, Des Moines 105. Excluding partly/mostly cloudy days.

You've tried very hard to convince yourself that Chicago weather is the same as Iowa. Northern Iowa and Southern Iowa have different weather, Northern Iowa being similar to Chicago. I lived in Iowa City over college, and I also think Des Moines is slightly warmer than Iowa City, although they are the same latitude.

Des Moines is a city that tries to sell itself very hard with ridiculous "Narnian" claims quite often, but the weather is notably better than most of the upper midwest.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL, are you this childish in person as well? Typical Troll behavior, attack physical attributes when you have no other argument, or know the argument you put forth was BS to begin with.

Biggest percentage of the population being "heavy-set" is the Southern states. Maybe you should look at something so fundamental to your argument before making yourself look foolish.
CalorieLab
CDC map
South shall snack again
I think he was comparing it to the coasts, i.e. new york, boston, sf, la, sd, south florida. Troll or not, it is still true. On the map you posted Michigan is higher than 30%. It is fairly noticeable people in Chicago are heavier set, though that is a lame comment. Not necessarily obese but it doesn't have as much as your active thin healthy folks, or your skinny model bikini most of the year sets. It makes up for it with all the eastern european girls though Go from say, Manhattan, LA or SF to Chicago and you'll notice people are heavier set, nothing dramatic but, yeah it is noticeable certainly.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
On the map you posted Michigan is higher than 30%.
Never said it wasn't. The other posted said that Chicago was full of heavy-set people... last I checked Chicago isn't in MI, so it is irrelevant to the conversation. Yes we have our fair share of heavy people in MI, but the higher percentage of the heavy-set people are in the South according to the map. The poster was trying to make a point that they are fat in Chicago because it is colder... which totally loses all credibility if you look at the distribution of overweight in the country overall.

Quote:
It is fairly noticeable people in Chicago are heavier set, though that is a lame comment. Not necessarily obese but it doesn't have as much as your active thin healthy folks, or your skinny model bikini most of the year sets. It makes up for it with all the eastern european girls though Go from say, Manhattan, LA or SF to Chicago and you'll notice people are heavier set, nothing dramatic but, yeah it is noticeable certainly.
It just depends on where you are on the coasts. Spent 20 years on the East coast and there isn't that much difference between body styles midwest/east once you get out of the larger cities.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Never said it wasn't. The other posted said that Chicago was full of heavy-set people... last I checked Chicago isn't in MI, so it is irrelevant to the conversation. Yes we have our fair share of heavy people in MI, but the higher percentage of the heavy-set people are in the South according to the map. The poster was trying to make a point that they are fat in Chicago because it is colder... which totally loses all credibility if you look at the distribution of overweight in the country overall.

It just depends on where you are on the coasts. Spent 20 years on the East coast and there isn't that much difference between body styles midwest/east once you get out of the larger cities.
That's true. I was more comparing it to some of the high end peer cities of Chicago. Rural south is by far the worst.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This past summer, I posted a chart on the Pittsburgh forum comparing Pittsburgh weather observations to 12 other major cities. The other cities were, from west to east, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

The chart was last updated on September 4, but only Indianapolis has had any 90-degree days since then. The temperature reached 92 degrees there on September 13, so add one to the 90-degree tally for Indianapolis this past summer.

Whenever I'm not lazy, I'll do one more chart including precipitation totals and departures from normal for each city during the month of September. In the meantime, I hope some of you find the information useful.
If you included Minneapolis, I think there were 4-6 90+ degree days in September.....not sure why you didn't, actually.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
With all its heavy-set people I can see why there is such preference for cooler summers
haahahahaa, we just got called fat! i think this thread has officially jumped the shark.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
He has no life.
Just another one of Dementor's Alias

Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas4rabbits View Post
I tend to agree with the Southerner though. Pete is my boyfriends dad whose family moved from sweltering Mississippi summers to Chicago back in the 60s. (Southerners were heavily discriminated by Chicagoans BTW, much like hispanics are today) His entire family and neighbor all went back within 5 years. The reason was the long freaking winter!
Pete still lives in the inner suburbs, but only because his wife can't leave her elderly mom alone. Given the choice he has said hands down he would take the warm. I most certainly see a lot less people on the streets, in bars, cafes etc here in Chicago in winter. The colder it gets the more its a ghost town! Except Christmas time. Then it is annoyingly packed. If you take a basic physiology class, they will discuss the effects of cold climates vs. warm. Warm wins in most categories.
I would be in the minority of people who like the cooler months.
Maybe its my ancestral blood , I don't know but it is just more comfortable than the hot months.

Seems to me you maybe surprised the number of people who actually prefer the cool weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.