Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don't understand those people who are opposed because "when I get to a car-centric city, I won't be able to get anywhere." Really?
The same rules apply to air travel. Rent a car and get around that way.
I believe we got in to our predicament by working too locally and not thinking regionally or nationally enough. We need to fix this problem by having some sort of alternative to air and interstate travel. High speed is the path to the future.
Think of the children!
Especially when gas costs $5/gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Especially when gas costs $5/gallon.
...and that WILL happen. It's just a matter of when. Probably sooner than later.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The US and no country will every build a country wide high speed Rail system , it makes no sense. But along selective corridors like in the Northeast , Midwest , and West Coast it does make sense. There is no high speed train even Maglev that goes 400mph....most Americans are Un-educated on the subject... High Speed Rail is defined as trains going faster then 125mph , most lines are built for 150mph+....
I'm guessing he's not suggesting that every podunk town gets access to high speed rail, but that the main corridors would and there would be connections between them. Perhaps a slightly pared down version of what Amtrak already has

If we're talking about that instead, then Japan more or less has that in place already, some of Western Europe has that, and China is currently trying to build that.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:32 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wait, where did this number come from?
Thin air.

I just made it up. It's not really a question of building a high speed rail system from a specific plan, but rather, would we even want to pay for it?

So far the reponses on this thread have been about 50-50. Some say yes, some say no.

I'm just wondering if the people saying "No" would have been the same people saying "No" back when Eisenhower wanted to implement a massive goverment spending program based off of something the Germans invented; The Interstates.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
[quote=OyCrumbler;21637962]I'm guessing he's not suggesting that every podunk town gets access to high speed rail, but that the main corridors would and there would be connections between them. Perhaps a slightly pared down version of what Amtrak already has...[quote]

Correct. I'm working on my own map as to what a high speed rail might look like in America.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:43 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It would disintegrate.
But at that speed it would be like shooting a cannon at the train, and slight deflection of the metal would slow down the train rather significant.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I love the idea of high-speed rail, but don't think it's realistic at this point, given our national debt. It does make me a bit depressed what $3T could've been used for besides war, bailouts, etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don't understand those people who are opposed because "when I get to a car-centric city, I won't be able to get anywhere." Really?
Yes, really. this isn't rocket science. if i'm stuck in the middle of downtown columbia, south carolina, what in the HELL am i going to do? spend a fortune renting cars, or taking cabs? Right.

Quote:
The same rules apply to air travel.
No, they don't. Air travel gets me to overseas cities where mass transit is more common, and it makes some sense to fly there.

Rail does not go overseas. Rail would only connect North American cities, which means the same rules do NOT apply to air travel.

Quote:
Rent a car and get around that way.
Renting a car is a huge ripoff.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 11-09-2011 at 05:16 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM

238 posts, read 1,505,395 times
No... We already have amtrack which nobody uses and is constantly getting derailed. I would not even want to imagine a train going 100 mph hitting a deer or something placed on the tracks. How do you plan on keeping all the critters and people away from the tracks? As someone already mentioned it will disrupt migration patterns for the various species of wildlife. Last point is the government is broke and whatever they get involved in tends to be a big cluster f@#$.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Yes, really. this isn't rocket science. if i'm stuck in the middle of downtown columbia, south carolina, what in the HELL am i going to do? spend a fortune renting cars, or taking cabs? Right.
1. You'd be already spending a fortune on the high speed rail ticket, in comparison renting a car at the city would be pretty inexpensive, like 10% of the ticket cost.
2. Not sure if HSR would even have a stop at Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
No... We already have amtrack which nobody uses and is constantly getting derailed.
The fastest Amtrak train, Acela, is actually profitable.
Quote:
I would not even want to imagine a train going 100 mph hitting a deer or something placed on the tracks. How do you plan on keeping all the critters and people away from the tracks?
A train vs a deer = the train wins. Train is not a car, it doesn't care about %$^#, it literally steamrolls whatever is on its way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.