Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Not even close, LA is known worldwide as LA, LA fitness, LA tan, LAX etc. When someone references New York its always "new york", the only thing I see NYC on is on clothing, when someone references Los Angeles most likely you will here "LA", but I respect your opinion
I raise my hand and second you!

Here on CD of course, we often see NYC as shorthand to save time writing.

But in RL, you occasionally hear or see NYC but it is usually the full New York or even New York City. Los Angeles is just the opposite. For instance, think of how many songs say "New York" compared to those that say Los Angeles". Most songs seem to use "LA". LA just sounds cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Minny seems to be most popular among sportswriters and athletes. Nobody in the Twin Cities uses it, and I think most people who live here hate it.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Corpus Christi is never anything but "Corpus".

More than you think, people are offended if you shorten the name of their town. Frisco or San-Antone or St. Looie or Chi-town will just get you dirty looks.

It's mostly smaller cities that get universally shortened. like Pass (Christian), Mississippi, or (Wisconsin) Rapids, Wisconsin, or Alec (xandria), Louisiana or Sault (Ste. Marie), Michigan or Ark (ansas) City, Kansas.
Never heard of Pass Christian or Alexandria being shortened. I thought all Texans called it San Antone, that's the way my Austin cousin says it.

I just call Houston "the Ho".

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I have NEVER heard anyone talk about New York by actually saying NY or NYC. I've seen it in written form but.....and it's a big BUT, it's always said as if it's fully written.

LA & DC are the only initials I hear consistently to identify a city and Philly and P-Town are the only shortened city names that I hear consistently. I am sure that there are other shortened names that are used locally or regionally but these are the only ones that I hear consistently.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have NEVER heard anyone talk about New York by actually saying NY or NYC. I've seen it in written form but.....and it's a big BUT, it's always said as if it's fully written.

LA & DC are the only initials I hear consistently to identify a city and Philly and P-Town are the only shortened city names that I hear consistently. I am sure that there are other shortened names that are used locally or regionally but these are the only ones that I hear consistently.
I've heard NYC/NY before but its not that common, usually I've heard it in rap lyrics but not much by the mainstream media.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
1.la
2.dc
3.atl
4.nyc

Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I raise my hand and second you!

Here on CD of course, we often see NYC as shorthand to save time writing.

But in RL, you occasionally hear or see NYC but it is usually the full New York or even New York City. Los Angeles is just the opposite. For instance, think of how many songs say "New York" compared to those that say Los Angeles". Most songs seem to use "LA". LA just sounds cool.
The real difference, IMHO, is that one both says and writes "LA", where as "NY" and "NYC" are only written.

As far as being "said", I think it more common even to hear "SF" than "NY".

Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Pittsburgh and Atlanta have both initials and clipped names.

Pittsburgh actually has two sets of initials: PGH, which is the more traditional and popular one, and PIT, which is both the airport code and the sports abbreviation. Its clipped name is "the 'Burgh."

Atlanta's initials are ATL, which might not (yet) be known worldwide, but is certainly known nationwide. It's also all-encompassing, being the traditional abbreviation, the airport code and the sports abbreviation. It has two clipped names: "A-Town" and "the A."

Something neat that I've noticed: Atlanta (ATL) and St. Louis (STL) have similar abbreviations, and so do Chicago (CHI) and Philadelphia (PHI).

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The most popular initial nickname is
LA

The most popular clipped nickname is
Philly
Agree with that.

NYC and DC would be very close seconds and thirds.

I don't think any of the clipped names come close to Philly.Can't remember any growing up outside the US except Philly

Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
In Virginia, you have:

RVA= Richmond
P-Town= Portsmouth
VB, Va Beach (pronounced "vah"), or just the Beach= Virginia Beach

When I lived in San Francisco, I saw "SF" a lot. When you're in the Bay Area most people just say "the City" and you know what they mean. Definitely didn't hear Frisco or San Fran much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.