Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I moved from Florida to Alaska. I suppose that counts. I moved here because I wanted to live in a much cooler climate with fewer people and awesome scenery and wildlife. I don't think I'll ever move back to the Lower-48, but if I did it sure wouldn't be anywhere south of Oregon.
I know what you mean about the cooler climate, fewer people, scenery and wildlife. We moved to N.H. after living in Florida for ten years. We were origionaly from N.H. so we new what we were missing.So grateful to be back. I count my blessings every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Since when is Seattle "cold?" LOL

I've never lived in a warm climate, but I did go from humid to dry. Love it!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
PLENTY of Northern retirees move to Florida and find they dislike the heat and humidity, sandy soil, hurricanes, traffic, sterile strip malls, and insects in their house, so they move again to, for instance, the Asheville NC area (or other areas of NC, SC, or Tennessee) that have 4 seasons, deciduous trees, low taxes, a sense of traditional heritage, and rolling scenic terrain. They are called "halfbacks" since they moved "halfway" back North.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Since when is Seattle "cold?" LOL
It's really not, even to me coming from TN. But to hear some people in the Seattle forum talk you'd think it was brutally cold for 10 months out of the year. It is, however, MUCH cooler in the summer (and spring and fall).

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It's really not, even to me coming from TN. But to hear some people in the Seattle forum talk you'd think it was brutally cold for 10 months out of the year. It is, however, MUCH cooler in the summer (and spring and fall).
It's definitely a colder climate than California. Today, for example, the low was 35, the high 50, not bad for February, but San Francisco was 71.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,495 times
Smile Atlantic Beach, FL to Bismarck, ND to be w/ my Daughter & my Grandchildren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Anybody move from a warmer climate to a colder one...and end up liking it?

If so, where did you move from/to and......why?
Hi, I moved here from Atlantic Beach, Florida to Bismarck, ND to be with my Daughter & Grandchildren. My Daughter just had my fourth Grandchild on Feb. 14th, 2012. I love the people here & the Scenery; yet I am very homesick. I grew up in Orlando, Florida. I am a Beach Girl. I do enjoy the change. I just wish it would hurry up & be Spring so I can enjoy discovering this State. I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Jerri

Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
St. Louis -> Seattle

LOVE:
I don't sweat the nanosecond I step outside
I don't have mosquitos eating me alive 9 months out of the year
I don't have to deal with tornadoes, or hail, or tons of snow (Pacific shield baby!)
The summers are bearable here!

Don't Love:
There's 7 months of gloom followed by 2 months of mix followed by three months of perfection. Wish there was more perfection in there.

But I'll take it. I like it here.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,641 times
I'm from MI and moved to DFW, TX. At first I hated the heat but after a year of living down here I love it. We are contemplating a move to Salt Lake City and don't know that I can handle moving back to a colder climate. I love that the usual high for the winter is in the 50's and for the last few weeks it's been upper 50's to almost 80.

Being from Michigan I do sometimes miss the snow (only for the outdoor activities) and would like to see some snow while the grass is dead and trees are missing their leaves. I just really fear not being able to handle the cold weather.

Are you in a similar situation OP?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Moved from the perennial sun of S. California to a variety of places. Love it. I hated the monotony of sun and brown grass. I prefer the seasons, the rain, the snow, the greenery and such. The only thing I don't care that much for is winter rain and clouds. My favorite is a clear sunny day after a snow storm, like they get in the Rockies. Gorgeous.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 PM

229 posts, read 584,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri Reneau Ratcliff View Post
Hi, I moved here from Atlantic Beach, Florida to Bismarck, ND to be with my Daughter & Grandchildren. My Daughter just had my fourth Grandchild on Feb. 14th, 2012. I love the people here & the Scenery; yet I am very homesick. I grew up in Orlando, Florida. I am a Beach Girl. I do enjoy the change. I just wish it would hurry up & be Spring so I can enjoy discovering this State. I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Jerri
I lived in Bismarck for 9 months while my husband finished college and I loved it, but the winters were much too cold for me. If it weren't for that, I'd probably see about moving my family there now. I think I'd like the beach better too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.