Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
I think it depends on where you live. Kids who grow up together and go to school together aren't going to see each other as white, black, Asian, whatever. They're not going to have any qualms about interracial dating. The only people who are racist or even care about that sort of thing around here are oldheads who watched their neighborhoods deteriorate and don't have an objective view of the situation and people who grew up in the sheltered suburbs.
This is totally false IMO. Kids in elementary school tend to see everyone as the same, but as they age many start to self segregate. You can go to any high school in my area and you'll notice the blacks have mostly black friends, and the whites have mostly white friends, and these are kids that went to school with each other their entire lives.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is totally false IMO. Kids in elementary school tend to see everyone as the same, but as they age many start to self segregate. You can go to any high school in my area and you'll notice the blacks have mostly black friends, and the whites have mostly white friends, and these are kids that went to school with each other their entire lives.
My daughter is in fourth grade, and they mix it up quite a bit. Whites and blacks play together, spend the night at each other's houses, are in girl scouts together, etc. I wonder if they will continue to be friends or if they will self segregate in middle and high school.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:10 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:
That's true, and very sad, IMO. Also, very telling -- race IS a huge problem in this country!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
My daughter is in fourth grade, and they mix it up quite a bit. Whites and blacks play together, spend the night at each other's houses, are in girl scouts together, etc. I wonder if they will continue to be friends or if they will self segregate in middle and high school.
Things might be different now, but I can remember it being like that when I was in elementary school. But then in middle school, the self-segregating began.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Things might be different now, but I can remember it being like that when I was in elementary school. But then in middle school, the self-segregating began.
It was like that for me too. I grew up in the 80s in California. I'm really curious to see if history will repeat itself or if my daughter will be among the first generations of Americans who don't see race as the all defining aspect of a person.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
georgia is the least integrated state, it's overwhelming majority black. georgia is probably about 90% black overall. other states are a little more diverse.
Wrong. Where are you getting your information??? Ninety percent for the entire state???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
lol, morel like 50 percent black and 45 percent white, ya, in high school I hardly saw a White person
Wrong.

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
That is true.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM

125 posts, read 268,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Wrong. Where are you getting your information??? Ninety percent for the entire state???

Wrong.

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
my area has more blacks than whites in it

Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Gotta love how everyone groups people. Can see why though our politicians always like to see us in groups that way they don't have focus on our"individual"rights.
That said, I was one of 6 white kids in a Detroit school in the 60's. We generally all treated eachother nicely. Normal kid stuff no racial issues ever! However, several public school kids would jump us daily if they could, for money, gloves a bike... Many involved people in the neighborhood would keep an eye out for all. Never thought about their skin color though, recall white black, hispana parents present. As a kid w family difficulties never thought about color. In adulthood, as a health care worker don't think about until the patient or family bring it to our notice.

When looking to move to florida we sought out low crime areas. well kept neighborhoods. Think we found fantastic place with a combination of people. Thing is very few are from this state. We areall in the same boat. No friends, no family... We get together often and visit, catch up...many backgrounds ethnicities. Love it so far. Have to admit it's better than the Motor City with it's politicized racial decisiveness, so far

Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
That certainly still happens everywhere, but at the same time, having exposure to people of different ethnic/racial backgrounds from childhood on makes it more likely that they'll end up being open to race later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.