Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People like you really **** me off. You think you have life all figured out and you can press your views on whoever you want, and if they don't think exactly like you they are wrong. I bet you consider yourself an "enlightened and open minded person" too don't you? What's funny is that you're more close minded than probably most of the people you look down upon. What a pathetic and elitist person you are. Just remember, there's always someone better than you, always someone who has done more than you.

Also, even an idiot can read the OP and see that the OP is talking about moving, not traveling. I think it is safe to say that many people who have lived in the same place their entire lives have still traveled. Don't worry, I'm sure anyone with your brain capacitity to think like you surely wouldn't have been able to answer a question correctly.

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in 4 different cities in my life...in only two different counties...same metro region (SF Bay Area). I've always lived within half an hour of my birthplace. My roots are here. Almost all of my family and friends are here. I have a stable, well-paying job. I know my region like the back of my hand and never get lost driving anywhere and know just about every possible short cut to get from point A-B. I can answer almost any question a non-local could ask me from where to go for good nightlife, what's the weather like in XYZ month in XYZ city, where to avoid crime, where are the safe areas, where are good hiking spots, where are great wineries, what are some good restaurants...on an on. There are many things that come to be very useful to me, having lived in the same area my whole life. Plus, I actually do love living here. I hate the cost of living, and ultimately, that will probably take me out of the area in the somewhat near future. I'll most likely just move to the Sacramento area though, so it really won't even be much of a move for me.

People who look down upon people who haven't made a million moves are ridiculous. Get off your high horse. Don't assume because somebody hasn't moved many times that they aren't well travelled. I've done lots of travelling both inside and outside of the U.S. I appreciate having a home base though. Moving is a serious pain in the ass on many levels just from a logistical standpoint. Once I purchase my next home, I plan to be there for many years.

On a side note, there are these new inventions called airplanes and these large buildings with long stretches of pavement next to them where you can hop on these "airplanes" and travel to other locations through the air...crazy I tell you, crazy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People like you really **** me off. You think you have life all figured out and you can press your views on whoever you want, and if they don't think exactly like you they are wrong. I bet you consider yourself an "enlightened and open minded person" too don't you? What's funny is that you're more close minded than probably most of the people you look down upon. What a pathetic and elitist person you are. Just remember, there's always someone better than you, always someone who has done more than you.

Also, even an idiot can read the OP and see that the OP is talking about moving, not traveling. I think it is safe to say that many people who have lived in the same place their entire lives have still traveled. Don't worry, I'm sure anyone with your brain capacitity to think like you surely wouldn't have been able to answer a question correctly.
You sound like the one who has it all figured out.

I'm not pressing my views on anyone, just stating my opinion. My opinion is that if someone chooses never to travel in their lives, they are missing out and probably pretty dull. I never said anything about moving around a lot, the conversation shifted and I was talking about traveling, mostly. In this free world we live in you are a boring person if you choose to never ever travel. If you choose to live in the same place all your life but still travel that is something else.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post

I'm not pressing my views on anyone, just stating my opinion. My opinion is that if someone chooses never to travel in their lives, they are missing out and probably pretty dull. I never said anything about moving around a lot, the conversation shifted and I was talking about traveling, mostly. In this free world we live in you are a boring person if you choose to never ever travel. If you choose to live in the same place all your life but still travel that is something else.

The original post is specifically talking about "moving" not "travelling". It's very possible for somebody to live in the same place their whole life and be well travelled.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Yes, I say that very thing in the post you are quoting.

If you want my opinion on people who never move but travel...I dunno, I guess it seems dumb. I can understand living in one place most of your life, but if you have no serious obligation keeping you there I don't see why you wouldn't move around for a little bit, at least while you're younger, before returning to live there rest of your life. I guess I just don't get people who have no natural drive to see beyond the next hill, so to speak. I thought that was innate in all of us. I can understand wanting to settle down in your hometown though, but I bet its a lot more rewarding if you have been living out in the world for a while before.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I say that very thing in the post you are quoting.

If you want my opinion on people who never move but travel...I dunno, I guess it seems dumb. I can understand living in one place most of your life, but if you have no serious obligation keeping you there I don't see why you wouldn't move around for a little bit, at least while you're younger, before returning to live there rest of your life. I guess I just don't get people who have no natural drive to see beyond the next hill, so to speak. I thought that was innate in all of us. I can understand wanting to settle down in your hometown though, but I bet its a lot more rewarding if you have been living out in the world for a while before.
I agree with your basic premise. I love to experience different places as well. There are too many things I have going for me though where I'm at. In a lot of peoples' situations, myself included, it would be crazy and foolish to just pack up and move for the sake of experiencing a different place.

When you travel somewhere, you have no obligation to that place. You can come back home if you don't like the place or if you just get tired of it. When you move, a lot of factors are involved and it's a ton of work and you can't just move back...well you can, but that also involves a ton of work. My last move took me 30 minutes away from my previous place and it was still a pain in the ass. Moving is a lot of work. Many people such as myself love to travel and explore different places without sacrificing the life they've worked to create where they live. I also have a son, so there are other responsibilities beyond just myself. I have a stable life where I live and I think that's important for raising kids. Here, I also have many babysitters to choose from. If my wife and I moved far away, we'd pretty much be housebound since we wouldn't have anybody to watch our son.

I think many people are in this situation. It's not that they don't like to experience other places, but rather they've weighed the pros and cons of staying put vs. moving somewhere else. There are many different factors in peoples' lives that cause them to stay put in order to make their lives work out in the way that's best for them.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I've lived in 4 different cities in my life...in only two different counties...same metro region (SF Bay Area). I've always lived within half an hour of my birthplace. My roots are here. Almost all of my family and friends are here. I have a stable, well-paying job. I know my region like the back of my hand and never get lost driving anywhere and know just about every possible short cut to get from point A-B. I can answer almost any question a non-local could ask me from where to go for good nightlife, what's the weather like in XYZ month in XYZ city, where to avoid crime, where are the safe areas, where are good hiking spots, where are great wineries, what are some good restaurants...on an on. There are many things that come to be very useful to me, having lived in the same area my whole life. Plus, I actually do love living here. I hate the cost of living, and ultimately, that will probably take me out of the area in the somewhat near future. I'll most likely just move to the Sacramento area though, so it really won't even be much of a move for me.

People who look down upon people who haven't made a million moves are ridiculous. Get off your high horse. Don't assume because somebody hasn't moved many times that they aren't well travelled. I've done lots of travelling both inside and outside of the U.S. I appreciate having a home base though. Moving is a serious pain in the ass on many levels just from a logistical standpoint. Once I purchase my next home, I plan to be there for many years.

On a side note, there are these new inventions called airplanes and these large buildings with long stretches of pavement next to them where you can hop on these "airplanes" and travel to other locations through the air...crazy I tell you, crazy!!!
This.

I've moved a lot (all within 2 counties) and I hated it. Though I'd probably want to move to the West if I get the opportunity to do so but only on a short-term basis because I'm fine here.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:

I sound like the one that has it all figured out? How is that? Because I think you're ridiculous for saying that because someone hasn't traveled that they should go jump off a bridge and end their life? Just because someone doesn't do what you do has nothing to do with them being interesting or boring. You can say whatever you like, but you're the one pressing your views on other people and thinking only your way is right.

I'd much rather spend my time with someone who has never traveled than a person who thinks they are god's gift to man because they traveled somewhere. In the travel community, people with your mindset are the people I stay far away from.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Dude I was being...what's the world...hyperbolic. Not that serious.

I realize it came off pretty harsh though.

Anyways I think traveling is good. I just don't get people who never want to see what else is out there, what lies beyond their small little corner of the world. We live in a free country, are not really at war or in a really difficult time. Our citizens have the means and the opportunity to go anywhere in the world, without too much difficulty. That hasn't been the case for a lot of history or a lot of the world, and I think it's awesome. I guess what really bothers me is the sense of complacency I see in people who wouldn't take advantage of that. The idea that there is nothing really out there worth exploring.

Anyways I don't mean someone who chooses to retire in their hometown. There is a strong chance I could do that. I don't mean that just because you've left wherever it is and are from and moved to NYC, you are somehow better than those you left behind. But someone who has never ventured from that small town in their life? What is wrong with that person? Don't they want to at least check out some of what else is out there? There is so much to do and see, and spending your whole life doing and seeing the same thing seems like a waste.

to rsh I see what you are saying. I think a lot of it has to do on what place we are talking about. I mean, someone growing up in a town their family has lived in for generations has a lot more reason to stick around their entire life than if you were born in a nameless suburb. If you already have community and a good reason to stay that seems like a good reason for staying, if you are living in suburbia, nowhere USA and choose to stay there your entire life rather than seeking greener pastures I don't really understand that so well.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,823 times
Quote:
to rsh I see what you are saying. I think a lot of it has to do on what place we are talking about. I mean, someone growing up in a town their family has lived in for generations has a lot more reason to stick around their entire life than if you were born in a nameless suburb. If you already have community and a good reason to stay that seems like a good reason for staying, if you are living in suburbia, nowhere USA and choose to stay there your entire life rather than seeking greener pastures I don't really understand that so well.
Well actually, I should clarify what was trying to say in my post. I don't dislike the counties that I lived in. They were great. However, I hated moving around so much. 13 times I've moved in my 20 years of living. When I have a career, I want to settle down in either of those places because I'm very acquainted with the people that I know. However, if I was given the opportunity to move to the West Coast, I would do it but not in a short-term basis, and probably when I'm still in my 20s. I'm not originally from the US but was born and raised here though living somewhere that I'm familiar with because it has all I could ever ask for. I don't want to move too much because it is quite the hassle.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Well actually, I should clarify what was trying to say in my post. I don't dislike the counties that I lived in. They were great. However, I hated moving around so much. 13 times I've moved in my 20 years of living. When I have a career, I want to settle down in either of those places because I'm very acquainted with the people that I know. However, if I was given the opportunity to move to the West Coast, I would do it but not in a short-term basis, and probably when I'm still in my 20s. I'm not originally from the US but was born and raised here though living somewhere that I'm familiar with because it has all I could ever ask for. I don't want to move too much because it is quite the hassle.

Yeah I think a lot of people are like that.. for me right now I pretty much consider myself a nomad. I really like moving and traveling. I don't know if that will change for me.. maybe if I find a girl I'd settle down with? but for now I don't have plans of settling down, so I'll just keep moving along until I find something.

That being said, I'm beginning to appreciate being around family more and more. At least my immediate family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.