Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM

69 posts, read 215,059 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what areas welcome newcomers, both in a general way
( newcomer groups), and in a personal way, meaning an area where everyone and their family has not lived there for years and years...
For example, I lived in Cobb County, GA, and there was a huge newcomers group, with tons of activities,and new people outnumbered the natives ....so you always felt that you had a chance there....true for kids, as well as adults, lots of corporate transfers, etc. If you joined a group, like the PTA, you did not feel like an outsider.
I am currently in an established suburb of Chicago, which is very, very entrenched in terms of families having been here for generations. It is very hard to break in here. It is not that people are mean, but newcomers are so rare, that one does not need to think of them.....people have childhood friends that they have had for 20 plus years, and no room for new people...also, people here often have their families nearby....
I want to relocate in a few years, perhaps back to the East Coast....any friendly places out there? I certainly do not want a transient area, just a somewhat friendly one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
I would like to know what areas welcome newcomers, both in a general way
( newcomer groups), and in a personal way, meaning an area where everyone and their family has not lived there for years and years...
For example, I lived in Cobb County, GA, and there was a huge newcomers group, with tons of activities,and new people outnumbered the natives ....so you always felt that you had a chance there....true for kids, as well as adults, lots of corporate transfers, etc. If you joined a group, like the PTA, you did not feel like an outsider.
I am currently in an established suburb of Chicago, which is very, very entrenched in terms of families having been here for generations. It is very hard to break in here. It is not that people are mean, but newcomers are so rare, that one does not need to think of them.....people have childhood friends that they have had for 20 plus years, and no room for new people...also, people here often have their families nearby....
I want to relocate in a few years, perhaps back to the East Coast....any friendly places out there? I certainly do not want a transient area, just a somewhat friendly one!!
Was the one in Cobs County, The New Neighbors League , which is a national organization based in Atlanta , Georgia.
We have that one here in Nashville, and its a good way to meet people.
Don't go to NJ, people there are not friendly. I have a friend in Redonoth Beach Delaware and I'm told its friendly there.
Diane

Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Phoenix, Arizona for sure. We're the #2 fastest growing metro area (behind Las Vegas), and more people here than not are from elsewhere. Nobody really cares where you're from. There are also a TON of people here from Chicago. Nobody will bat an eye. The economy here depends on people moving in from out of state and building houses, pumping up the real estate market. That's actually the problem; this place is TOO welcoming to newcomers!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
I would have to suggest my area - Hampton Roads, Virginia. Mainly because of the welcoming I got when I moved here, which was positive, and also we are in the welcoming business. We have a HUGE military presence here which might make it transient, but I have talked to many people who were stationed here and then moved back permanently.

Cost of living is reasonable, we have the beach and history (Williamsburg etc.)

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I think most northeastern cities are similar to Chicago. You may have to try for someplace else. People in Denver, Colorado complain about newcomers all the time (growth=bad), but are nice one on one, and almost everyone is from somewhere else so there are lots of people interested in making new friends.

You might even try a farther-out suburb of Chicago, where the people are all new, at least to that area.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
People in California are open to newcomers (b/c most are). Texas as well.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
it's very friendly where I am - big newcomers (and oldtimers) club, people looking out for each other - our neighborhood has taken bus trips together in the past and there's usually a party going on somewhere. Northwestern NJ. i'll almost too friendly if there's such a thing.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM

69 posts, read 215,059 times
Default areas that welcome newcomers....

Thanks for all of your responses, and you have given me some good ideas....now I will have to tackle my other search issue, which is a hot topic on these boards....a Walkable community!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:57 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
New York City is welcoming... To certain groups. New Yorkers love Chicagoans, Miamians, San Franciscoans, New Orleanians, and Vegans. We welcome everybody from overseas. We've got quite a few new kids from New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina. They love it here so much their parents and them decided to stay here.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your responses, and you have given me some good ideas....now I will have to tackle my other search issue, which is a hot topic on these boards....a Walkable community!
You may want to look at this forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post1483222
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.