Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM

440 posts, read 777,311 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating from Portland to somewhere warmer, maybe Charlotte or Knoxville, Florida is just to hot and flat for me.

I always seem to be the only Cuban in my town, and find friendships with other nationalities hard to come by.

Was wondering if any of you also had trouble fitting in because you were not white/black/Mexican ?

Also, if you have know of any Cuban friendly towns or have any warnings, especially about Knoxville or Charlotte, I would much appreciate your experience.

In case I was not clear, I'm looking to move to a town where it would be easier for me to make friends. FYI, Portland folks were very nice to me, but made almost zero friends in 5 years. Hawaii was really easy to make friends. I hear its the "Seattle freeze" thing in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
North Bergen, NJ has a large population of Cubans, has all four seasons, very accessible to NYC (10 min car ride or less, 15 min on an express bus) if you wanna hang out with other Latino populations among all the other reasons to enjoy NY, is solidly middle class, and has the calmness of a suburb but walkability, transportation options, and street level retail of an urban area. Also, its neighboring towns have high Cuban populations. Here's an article that touches on it New Jersey Cubans Like Obama - Pavement Pieces.

Of course, since it's right near the water and it's in Jersey, winters are tough, but outside of those winter months weather is good. Also, since it's on the Jersey/NY border (and is actually considered a suburb of NYC), you get possibly the best view of Manhattan ever. There's also a great walking trail/large sidewalk with benches overlooking the Hudson and the Manhattan skyline, which is a treasure for morning and evening runs. I absolutely loved living out there :-).

Old 09-21-2009, 01:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
as a Cuban American myself there really aren't many options considering that Cubans in the US number around a million or so and the vast majority live in Florida or the NYC/Northern NJ area. I know there are Cubans in Chicago but that's a tundra in the winter.I can't think of a sizable Cuban community in warmer climates outside of Florida.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
as a Cuban American myself there really aren't many options considering that Cubans in the US number around a million or so and the vast majority live in Florida or the NYC/Northern NJ area. I know there are Cubans in Chicago but that's a tundra in the winter.I can't think of a sizable Cuban community in warmer climates outside of Florida.
There's a fair number of Cubans in LA/Southern California.........

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Union City, NJ
West New York, NJ
Guttenberg, NJ
North Bergen, NJ

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I know of several Cubans here in Knoxville. One of the most popular restaurants in downtown Knoxville's historical entertainment district is Cuban. There's a Cuban family at the church I attend, and their extended families have followed them up here from Miami and absolutely love it here.

When I lived in Atlanta I had a couple of Cuban colleagues, one was an art teacher and the other was a Spanish teacher. They both told me that Atlanta had a sizable Cuban community. I certainly never had any problems finding real Cuban bread (baked with palmetto leaves) and guava pastries in Atlanta.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:01 PM

Ok, I am aware there are very few cities that have any sort of Cuban population.
Seems to me, that it was a lot easier to have multi racial friends in Hawaii then Portland.
I has been said, Portland is the whitest city in the USA, maybe they don’t have the exposure to other nationalities like other states? (at least they treated me very well)
I have a few warmer cities picked out like knoxville, charlotte, Santa fe, but I dont have anyway of knowing how colorblind these places are.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the input JMT. seems like the good folks of Knoxville (not sure if its a church thing or not) I am not religous, not sure if that will be a problem in Knoxville.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Thanks for the input JMT. seems like the good folks of Knoxville (not sure if its a church thing or not) I am not religous, not sure if that will be a problem in Knoxville.
Knoxville is a city with a lot of churches, but it's also a city with a major university and with thousands of nuclear engineers from all over the world at the Oak Ridge National Labs. You certainly don't need to be a church-goer to be accepted here.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Ok, I am aware there are very few cities that have any sort of Cuban population.
Seems to me, that it was a lot easier to have multi racial friends in Hawaii then Portland.
I has been said, Portland is the whitest city in the USA, maybe they don’t have the exposure to other nationalities like other states? (at least they treated me very well)
Don't worry, I look white and I couldn't make friends with anybody in Portland either. It's just the way the region is. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.