Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times

Advertisements

Regional differences are definitely more pronounced in rural areas than in major cities. Are they overstated? Probably sometimes. Not always though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Nothing to do with immigration but culture. An Asian American will be no different to a European American, unless they aren't fully integrated. The differences between a farmer from rural Cornwall and the Lake District will be more noticeable: indeed it might be hard for each other to understand each other at first. We're talking over 1000 years of differences compared to the 200, and in many cases 100 or 50 years, in the US.
If you really think that an Asian American is more similar to a European American than someone from rural Cornwall is to the Lake District, I'm not sure you see the forest through the trees.

I'm going to Scotland pretty soon, and if you look from a worldwide perspective, there's not much difference between Edinburgh or Glasgow, or even the Highlands. In fact, the differences between the Scots and the Brits are not as different as the difference between Northerners and Southerners in the US. I view the regional differences in the UK as the regional differences between Washington and California. Small but subtle unless you live there then the differences are greater.

Also, Miami and Seattle are about as different as you can get. Spanish style homes versus wood frame homes, tropical foliage versus northern latitude foliage, hot weather versus cold, Latin culture versus N. European background with some Asian influences, and vastly different cuisine.

You did get it right about NOLA. Southern Louisiana is vastly different than the rest of the country. Even you recognize that eating crawfish ettouffee is different than eating steak and potatoes in the midwest or what have you.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I dont think the differences in regions are overstated....understand is more like it. The bi coastals fly over and bash the south, Tx and the mid west. However they eat and drive and chose to ignore how the raw material magically appears when they need it. America wants a wealthy lifestyle based upon tourism. nail salons and other low wealth creation activities. Jobs that creat great wealth involve risk....the bi coastals cant handle risk.... they view it is as low class manufacturing work. We need oil and gas jobs, we need farmers, we need work that involves risk... most coastals cant handle it.... but we can in the middle of the country. I believe an affordable, nice lifestyle follows..lets wait and see. Let them fly over. We chose not to follow policies that imitate California or NY or France.. we know the result of that approach. Some call being like those failed entites progress... or leaning forward....I call it something else...
That goes the other way, too. When I lived in TN people I knew spent plenty of time insulting the North East and West Coast. In fact, they practically hated people from those regions. Also, there is plenty of farming in this region. People in this area love to buy from farms in the area, and there are no shortage of local products to choose from.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,253,563 times
They're overstated. To be sure you can always find people with different accents and topography where you go but most Americans are living identical lives. Work at 9, home at 6, dinner, family, outing, sleep, and then repeat.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
When traveling, the tourist trap stuff will yield little local culture.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you sure about that? If anything, Canada seems to be very regional in terms of provinces. Parts of Ontario and New Brunswick have strong French speaking ties. Nunavut is very unique and isn't anything like Nova Scotia. Even the Black population in Canada is diverse. There is a pretty strong First Nations influence in certain areas too. So, Canada is not as homogeneous as people think it is.
Ontario westwards I think is rather homogeneous. It was settled rather late, until after 1950 Ontario had less people than Massachusetts! There is almost no accent differences, unlike the US.

Sure, Canada (excluding Atlantic Canada and Quebec) has some regional differences. But compared to most countries, its very small.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ontario westwards I think is rather homogeneous. It was settled rather late, until after 1950 Ontario had less people than Massachusetts! There is almost no accent differences, unlike the US.

Sure, Canada (excluding Atlantic Canada and Quebec) has some regional differences. But compared to most countries, its very small.
It is true that there is a remarkable speech and accent homogeneity from Ontario all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Sure, there are a few differences but they are very, very slight.

Also, this fairly neutral Canadian accent is also gaining ground in Atlantic Canada, and even in St. John's, Newfoundland today it is not uncommon to meet people with no discernable Newfoundland accent.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
^ Nothing to do with immigration but culture. An Asian American will be no different to a European American, unless they aren't fully integrated. The differences between a farmer from rural Cornwall and the Lake District will be more noticeable: indeed it might be hard for each other to understand each other at first. We're talking over 1000 years of differences compared to the 200, and in many cases 100 or 50 years, in the US.
Everyone is not immigrants, people of different backgrounds may have different traditions and etc at home not everything is going to be so out in public. Many may speak different languages around there family, may carry a religion that follow there family and etc. What types of music will be played at a family reunion, what foods? and etc.

OK I'm Black, I want you to search up black churches praise breaks, soul food. HBCU's bands, and etc. Though not all, many Latinos are bilingual, most Latinos family are catholic and some traditions like Quinceañera are carry out. Many Asian families are also bilingual and etc. But when it comes to Friday night or Monday work day your not going to notice this stuff, because this stuff is more kept to families. Unless your in a Ethnic enclave or minority neighborhood.

Because of America age I would say diversity left more of a mark, Europe and Asian had form thousands of years of the native culture only later to have minority culture to come in. The US of the other hand is built by many cultures comes in, that mix would be American. I'm mean look at the names of the places in the US, We have cities name after people and etc of different languages, have architectural styles influence by different cultures.

New Orleans, Nouvelle Orléans founded by the french,
New York originally New Amsterdam founded by the Dutch,
Los Angles founded by the Spanish,
Boston found by the English.

As I said The British, The French, The Dutch, The Spanish, and Mexico after it's Independence all once claimed different parts of the US. Then later as immigrants came many Midwest cities even though the french was first though the area, German culture had a strong influence in the founding in many cities also. Not to mention The US has some of oldest and largest Chinatowns in the world. I'm still pre-1900 as I said the US founded and shape by different cultures with in itself. It's one thing to say a place became diverse, it's another thing to say it founding is diverse. The US wasn't colonized by one country, and mass Immigration came to the US before a lot of the other ex colonial western counties.

Cincinnati Over-the-Rhine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chinatown, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Savannah Historic District (Savannah, Georgia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Orleans French Quarter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa Fe Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and etc

But as I said a country is going to have some level of a common culture, Mississippi and Massachusetts are going to have way more in common then they do with Russia.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times
In a lot of ways, you could argue that there are similarities between international cosmopolitian cities such as New York, Paris, Toronto and Tokyo. I'm sure you could also find similarities in small towns in Vermont, Lousiana, Scotland and Malaysia. The cultures and language may be different, but they way those cultures are practiced could be similar.

Many American suburbs, unfortunately, have a certain blandness and uniformity to them. However, I've been to bland suburbs of Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo and Almaty.

Honestly, whenever I leave Cambridge, MA, I feel like I'm in a different world

Old 04-15-2012, 02:07 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
I often hear how the US is very culturally diverse - how the South is a totally different country, etc. Having visited the US for about 2 months, I actually didn't notice much difference between regions except for landscape and (and this only applies to some people) accents. Same old shops.etc of course, but also the people just behaved pretty much the same, at mostly the same food. GRANTED I haven't lived there so my comments are somewhat uninformed and just from skirting over the surface, but I often feel a lot of Americans like to make a big deal about how culturally diverse the country is because that's all they know. Coming from another country, I just felt the US was even more generic than most nations, especially for it's size. Only Australia and Canada seem more homogeneous in terms of culture over so large an area (possibly Russia too). The UK is smaller than Pennsylvania yet has more of a variety of accents than the entire US. Just my two cents.
Most Americans wouldn't tell the difference between an accent from London Southern UK and someone from Northern UK. Alot of Americans can't tell the difference between a Scottish and Irish accent. You weren't raised in America or lived here long enough to notice the difference, the same way most of us Americans wouldn't tell the difference between accents in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.