Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Anywhere with brutalist architecture, glass towers, vast industrial yards, and suburbs. The USA is one big pot of bland from one coast to the other.
I've taken a lot of road trips across the country. You are, unfortunately, correct.

Just a lot of "sameness" these days. Every exit, in almost every state, the same bland chains, hotels, blah, blah, blah...

If there is any character in the architecture, it is in the older buildings. There is not "character" being built into the cheap building going on today. Even hotels - nothing but cheap materials, stucco, and slap a little paint on. Done.

It's a pity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
As far as the built environment and layout Phoenix surprised me. Very sterile and bland.

Houston as others said is a top contender.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Dallas and Houston are extremely boring. They have multiple skylines that look impressive from a distance. However, when you’re actually in the business districts, they’re dead outside of business hours and extremely underwhelming.
Not entirely true anymore for Downtown Dallas or Downtown Houston. For DT Dallas, the very center of DT (Elm/Main/Commerce) still stays busy after working hours. There's also spillover from Klyde Warren Park in the northern end of Downtown (Arts District). Several DT hotels that were once vacant a year or 2 ago have been revitalized and reopened. The electric scooter craze has also breathed some more life into the city center. While DT Dallas isn't necessarily vibrant overall, it's definitely not dead after the work day either. That's also not including Deep Ellum or Uptown, which are more vibrant and make up for a lagging downtown. Like LA, the key is really knowing where to look.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Phoenix and San Jose. Their skylines are tiny for their size and nearly nonexistent, respectively.
PHX isn't NYC to be sure, but its getting better.
https://www.visitphoenix.com/things-...ntown-phoenix/

Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
As far as the built environment and layout Phoenix surprised me. Very sterile and bland.

Houston as others said is a top contender.
So any cookie cutter, master planned suburb is a top contender for you?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
I'd say Wilmington in Delaware. The only scenic part is when you cross the bridge that connects South Jersey and Wilmington. The river scenery is nice, but once you get into Wilmington, there is no scenery and the buildings are disgusting looking.

I'd say Alexandria in Virginia was kind of boring looking, but the buildings are only a little pretty.

Seattle is the most scenic city ever.

List of cities I have visited (and remembered) with 1 being the most scenic.
1. Seattle
2. San Francisco,
3. NYC
4. Washington D.C.
5. Baltimore
6. Alexandria, VA
7. Wilmington, DE

Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Fresno and Bakersfield. Seriously, try making a case for either.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Gary, Ind. and Camden, NJ

Old 09-30-2018, 08:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'd say Wilmington in Delaware. The only scenic part is when you cross the bridge that connects South Jersey and Wilmington. The river scenery is nice, but once you get into Wilmington, there is no scenery and the buildings are disgusting looking.

I'd say Alexandria in Virginia was kind of boring looking, but the buildings are only a little pretty.

Seattle is the most scenic city ever.

List of cities I have visited (and remembered) with 1 being the most scenic.
1. Seattle
2. San Francisco,
3. NYC
4. Washington D.C.
5. Baltimore
6. Alexandria, VA
7. Wilmington, DE
I’d have to strongly disagree about Wilmington, especially given its size and the fact there’s nothing else even remotely impressive between it, Philadelphia and Baltimore. Despite having a city proper population of only ~72,000, the skyline and view is very impressive. There are over 14 buildings above 200 feet in a dense area, so even though the skyline isn’t particularly tall, it’s dense and has mass. The buildings themselves are predominantly modern, glass boxes interspersed with old school style churches and brick buildings.

The best views of the city are on I-95 coming from the south and north. Coming from the south, the whole skyline is laid out in front of you, from west to east, and after miles of highway and low rise nothingness, just pops out of marshland. Coming from the north, you see less buildings and the “intro” to the city is shorter, but you have far more greenery around you as you cross the Brandywine River past Wilmington’s tallest buildings. The Delaware Memorial Bridge crossing from South Jersey is just ok imo, since it highlights the short stature of the city.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Phoenix. Orlando. Indianapolis/Columbus....aren't they the same city? ;-)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.