Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I wouldn't mind having some transplants around here at all right now.
Detroit has transplants. But they aren't coming in by the busload like other cities. Though there are indeed more people who are leaving than coming in. And believe or not, the suburbs still get transplants (almost entirely in Oakland County).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Detroit has transplants. But they aren't coming in by the busload like other cities.
That was my point.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
All of Texas feels like it's being invaded by Californians.

Having their chain food (like In-N-Out) and stores (like Trader Joes) popping up every day just adds to that....
I don't know how it is in the other Texas cities, but Texas as a whole has survived the economic downturn better than most places. Austin keeps making these top 10 places to live lists and Dallas and Houston are huge draws for people who like the larger cities. Here in Austin we are bursting at the seams. Traffic is horrible and yet people just keep coming - from everywhere. Everyone wants to pick on the Californians, but I see license plates from all over. I even saw one from Alaska the other day!

So, yes, it feels like an invasion at times. But I can't blame people for wanting to move here - as long as they do so with eyes wide open and embrace it for what it is, heat, bugs and all, and don't try to change it, we'll manage just fine.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I don't know how it is in the other Texas cities, but Texas as a whole has survived the economic downturn better than most places. Austin keeps making these top 10 places to live lists and Dallas and Houston are huge draws for people who like the larger cities. Here in Austin we are bursting at the seams. Traffic is horrible and yet people just keep coming - from everywhere. Everyone wants to pick on the Californians, but I see license plates from all over. I even saw one from Alaska the other day!

So, yes, it feels like an invasion at times. But I can't blame people for wanting to move here - as long as they do so with eyes wide open and embrace it for what it is, heat, bugs and all, and don't try to change it, we'll manage just fine.
Yeah, you don't have to tell me. I live in Fort Worth.

And I know there are several transplants from all over, but where I am, it mostly feels like Californians.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Yes!

I live in Northwest Arkansas. Sounds rural, I know. But the population has exploded over the past three to four decades. And the area has changed dramatically. Mostly for the good, but sometimes it seems that people/governments make changes just to make changes, without really thinking about the impact of those changes.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM

295 posts, read 659,262 times
There's a reality show on cable TV called "Motor City Rising" that recently aired but I don't think it will be attracting many more people to Detroit. It's about 20-something artist types but it nevertheless is pretty depressing, as one has cancer, another's family was killed when she lived in Russia, and another helps homeless families (a good thing in that case). No picnic in the park, but I watched out of curiousity about Detroit.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Depends on what type of transplants.
The big cities tend to get the more educated or enlightened types, while places like where I live currently get all the rejects from everywhere else.

At least places with the right type of transplants have some sort of a "downtown core" nightlife/festivity thing going.
With all the transplants from OC and LA county, all we get is more traffic and more places to burn money.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've lived in Washington D.C. area since the early 1970s. I remember back then this area was so much smaller and you felt more connected to the neighborhood in which you grew up. But since about 1990, it feels like transplants from practically everywhere (and not just in the U.S.) have devoured this area. It's become like a transplant-owned metropolis, practically speaking.

So, I was wondering, are you also in a city or metro area that feels this way? If so, please share your experience.
Absolutely. I probably have more friends & acquaintances from other countries than from the U.S.
And as I was out yesterday, it hit me how diverse this area is; I encountered so many different languages, it was unreal.
That being said, it definitely feels like an invasion, lol.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
For both of my cities, the answer is a resounding yes. But, then again, I was part of the invasion on each....Raleigh with my dad's job in 74 and Miami Beach in 01.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,221,131 times
St.Louis has some transplants. Most are usually from Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City, Indiana, Michigan and a few from Florida and new york. I wish we gained more people though. We have so much potential and so many big city ammenties without many of the problems of big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.