Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times

Advertisements

Denver, and yes. I am one of them. Born in NM, lived in IA, now Denver. Seems like I have met people from over 40 states in my few years out here, and everybody seems to be a transplant. You can always tell a native because they always ask you what high school you went to upon introduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
It's a bit odd when people complain about transplants and new arrivals, then they turn right around and vote for politicians whose policies are "growth" and "more growth" - what do they expect?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
Los Angeles(west hollywood) and yes. Non of my immediate neighbors are actually from California, not like it's a bad thing though.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Add Raleigh, North Carolina to the List, in fact most of the Growing Sunbelt States and cities. I kind of like the invasion though being young and everything. Before everything was black and white literally but now it's asian, and european, and african and middle eastern and they are bringing money and new foods, ideas. I like having Saks, and Nordstroms and an international food store, and eventually a light rail. But I guess there comes a point where there could be too many people all in one local. Overcrowded. But the diversity it brings is more good than bad I say.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's a bit odd when people complain about transplants and new arrivals, then they turn right around and vote for politicians whose policies are "growth" and "more growth" - what do they expect?
Lol, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Add Raleigh, North Carolina to the List, in fact most of the Growing Sunbelt States and cities. I kind of like the invasion though being young and everything. Before everything was black and white literally but now it's asian, and european, and african and middle eastern and they are bringing money and new foods, ideas. I like having Saks, and Nordstroms and an international food store, and eventually a light rail. But I guess there comes a point where there could be too many people all in one local. Overcrowded. But the diversity it brings is more good than bad I say.
All I ever hear about these days is how awesome Raleigh, NC is. I stayed overnight in a hotel in the city one night and it was a good time. Friendly people. Don't think I'd live there though.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
My area is overrun with transplants but its been this way my whole life. It amazes me that I can go out to a bar with a group of 20 people and only 2 or 3 of us are originally from the NYC area.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Phoenix. Yes, of course, but it was okay till about 02-04 when it got way too populated. Before that, it was a lovely place to live. The transplants added to the area in positive ways in the beginning.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Los Angeles(west hollywood) and yes. Non of my immediate neighbors are actually from California, not like it's a bad thing though.
I remember we had heritage day in 4th grade where people would talk about where they are from. By far, most of my classmates parents are from other countries (Korea, Philippines, China, Thailand, Iran, Mexico, El Salvador, etc.) and the ones who weren't were from other states.

I just don't really think about it. Don't really care either. At the end of the day, people are people, and most do the same thing: wake up, eat, go to work/school, come home, watch TV/waste time on computer, sleep. Rinse and repeat.

However, I will say it is interesting to meet longtime LA natives who talk about LA being a sleepy town. Sort of weird to hear it from that perspective, especially when they talk about how it actually DID take 20 minutes to get anywhere.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
All of Texas feels like it's being invaded by Californians.

Having their chain food (like In-N-Out) and stores (like Trader Joes) popping up every day just adds to that....
They are getting defensive about Trader Joe's. That just strikes me as hilarious.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
They are getting defensive about Trader Joe's. That just strikes me as hilarious.
Defensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.