Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

15 Largest Metropolitan Economies of The United States
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA (CSA) $1,208.1 Billion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA (CSA) $733.9 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI (CSA) (89176) $467.2 Billion
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV (CSA) $465.6 Billion
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA (CSA) $437.2 Billion
Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH (CSA) $339.1 Billion
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX (CSA) $318.3 Billion
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX (CSA) $316.3 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD (CSA) $312.6 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL (CSA) $242.3 Billion
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI (CSA) $233.4 BIllion
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL (MSA) $231.8 Billion
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA (CSA) $201.3 Billion
Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI (CSA) $186.1 Billion
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ (MSA) $160.0 Billion

15 Largest Metropolitan Economies of The United States, by Per Capita GDP
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA (CSA) $60,908
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX (CSA) $58,004
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV (CSA) $57,072
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA (CSA) $55,003
Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI (CSA) $53,708
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX (CSA) $51,554
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA (CSA) $51,286
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD (CSA) $49,095
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI (CSA) (89176) $48,344
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL (CSA) $45,682
Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH (CSA) $45,454
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI (CSA) $43,086
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL (MSA) $42,735
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA (CSA) $41,604
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ (MSA) $41,258

Released September 27, 2007 by The Bureau of Economic Analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
DC falling 5th does not surprise me at all!!! 4 years ago my I lived in Centreville - which is part of Fairfax County. It is at least 30 min outside of Washington DC (with no traffic - HA!) and crammed full of people. Tons of TH,APT and SFH, not just a few fancy houses with acres of land.

Well, I remember researching places to move and found a reputable economic information (can't remember my source) and found that the average income was around $80K in my little section of Fairfax County!!!! According to this report, the average in the area was 50K on 2006. Exactly why I left because I did not make close to that in order to support my family.

I find it very interesting that Hawaii is way down there on the bottom. Everyone says how expensive it is to live there though.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
There is certainly no "conspiracy" to keep New York City at the "top of the heap." As urban sprawl continues to worsen in Greater NYC, the boundaries of its CSA have likewise continued to grow as people on the exurban frontier (which is now as far west as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Hazleton, PA) are commuting in larger and larger percentages back into NYC and rely on it for nightlife, culture, etc. This is why the CSA of NYC now includes parts of NY, NJ, CT, and PA, and this is likely to eventually swallow up such smaller fringe MSAs as Newburgh, NY, Danbury, CT, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA. Let's not forget that geographically, the Los Angeles CSA sprawls out much further than the NYC CSA. Where I live on the furthest western frontier, we are still just two hours (about 120 miles) from Manhattan, so more and more people are now commuting into the city for work. I'm sure there are parts of the LA CSA that are over two hours from Downtown LA. It's a shame that so many in my area now commute four hours each day to work, but that's what happens when the cost-of-living closer to Manhattan has skyrocketed so high that it has become very cost-prohibitive for young families to afford to purchase a home within an hour's radius of NYC. This is why it is estimated that roughly 30,000 more residents have moved into Northeastern Pennsylvania from Greater NYC just since 2000!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Ye haw! My city (Midland) is number 15 in the nation and highest in Texas! I posted this info in another forum and there was conspiracy talk there too. Someone had implied that for some reason the federal government was trying to make Midland look good at the expense of the other cities in Texas. Midland also scores well in terms of low crime, a clean environment, and low unemployment (Midland consistently has the lowest rate in the state), it may very well be the most underrated city in Texas.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
Midland may be underrated but its per capita income is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Ye haw! My city (Midland) is number 15 in the nation and highest in Texas! I posted this info in another forum and there was conspiracy talk there too. Someone had implied that for some reason the federal government was trying to make Midland look good at the expense of the other cities in Texas. Midland also scores well in terms of low crime, a clean environment, and low unemployment (Midland consistently has the lowest rate in the state), it may very well be the most underrated city in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.