Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Buffalo, NY
Reading, PA
Wichita, KS
Topeka, KS
East St. Louis, MO
Greeley, CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 AM

430 posts, read 1,394,280 times
Just in the state of California. Fresno. Stockton. San Bernardina. Compton. Richmond. Oakland, but that city has bad, but also great areas, -very divided and segregated internally.

Actually, the small city of Eureka (pop. about 27,000) in Humboldt county on our north coast, -not even in a metro area- has a very high crime rate. You don't hear much about it though. Lots of beautiful Victorians there, but a lot of social problems and economically depressed.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:26 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
They don't what? Got a bad reputation?

Well then you must not know much about reputation.

Washington Heights was the drug and auto theft capital of the US back in the crack era.

Hunts Point in the south Bronx had the highest murder rate ever recorded back in 1990...over 100 people. And the south Bronx in general was the symbol of urban decay. Other areas ranged from 70-95 murders so it was all one big hell-hole.

Harlem had over 100 deaths at it's peak.

Brookyln is another shady area.

some #'s

Filthy Mess Message Board (http://www.filthymess.com/msgboard/default.asp?msg=4139&thread=4139&topic=1 - broken link)

Filthy Mess Message Board (http://www.filthymess.com/msgboard/default.asp?msg=4539&thread=4539&topic=1 - broken link)

But I wont get into another Bronx argument....take it for what's it worth.
Rampant crime and murder is all over this country, but no crime activity in New York is so notorious that I've heard about it all the way down here in Texas. Besides, those aren't cities, they're neighborhoods in NYC (the city with the best rep in the country), and every city has bad neighborhoods. Our own Southern cities down here are bad as well in some parts, but that's not what's driving people away from them.

The only places I can think of that are commonly known for their crime are South Los Angeles; Gary, Indiana; and Newark, NJ.

Isn't it possible that your feelings about those places is a bit skewed because you're a New Yorker? Because last I heard, NY crime was going down at a steady rate.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Baltimore has a bad reputation because of it's murder rate. But people don't realize that it is mostly confined to a few areas and the fact is that Baltimore is actually quite a beautiful place to visit with tons of charm. Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Baltimore has a bad reputation because of it's murder rate. But people don't realize that it is mostly confined to a few areas and the fact is that Baltimore is actually quite a beautiful place to visit with tons of charm. Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com
Yeah, and 'The Wire' isn't helping matters either lol.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Detroit, MI
Flint, MI
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Buffalo, NY
Reading, PA
Wichita, KS
Topeka, KS
East St. Louis, MO
Greeley, CO
Plains, East St. Louis is in Illinois

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 AM

539 posts, read 1,924,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah, and 'The Wire' isn't helping matters either lol.

Though I'm sure that show makes the city's PR department and Chamber of Commerce's job that much harder, it also puts much-needed dollars into the city coffers. I'm sure the city couldn't turn down the contract that HBO would had to have offered for such a successful series.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,326 times
I've been to a lot of cities and have been surprised at some and horrified by others. Never been to Pittsburgh but was surprised by Cleveland. Yeah, there are a few industrial neighborhoods, but overall, it was NOT what I was expecting. I could live there (if I had to). And I've heard really good things about Pittsburgh.

Cities I don't care for (in no particular order) include Memphis, Dayton, St Louis, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Noted, Beale Street (Memphis) rocks, but the rest of the city is a ghetto. Dayton, well what can I say? St Louis... take away the arch and it's just Memphis (without an arch, Beale Street, or Elvis). Detroit? Canada is a mile away (see, I can come up with something good to say about Detroit). I need to explain Milwaukee because it's actually a great city. It's just very industrial. Most Wisconsin cities are clean but Milwaukee just looks kind of crappy. Kansas City is like that too. Just a lot of old abandoned buildings and railroads, but get off the freeway and KC isn't too bad. I didn't say excellent, just not that bad.

People don't have much good to say about the flat states, but Des Moines, Omaha, and Tulsa are not bad. Oklahoma City looks like a truck stop and Wichita is, well, just Wichita (can't say much good or bad). Just do a Google search and look for pictures of these cities and you might be surprised.

Des Moines
http://blog.busbank.com/wp-content/u...des_moines.gif

Omaha
http://www.seiu.org/omaha.jpg

Tulsa
http://thepublishingmaster.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/tulsa_skyline.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataguydave View Post
I've been to a lot of cities and have been surprised at some and horrified by others. Never been to Pittsburgh but was surprised by Cleveland. Yeah, there are a few industrial neighborhoods, but overall, it was NOT what I was expecting. I could live there (if I had to). And I've heard really good things about Pittsburgh.

Cities I don't care for (in no particular order) include Memphis, Dayton, St Louis, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Noted, Beale Street (Memphis) rocks, but the rest of the city is a ghetto. Dayton, well what can I say? St Louis... take away the arch and it's just Memphis (without an arch, Beale Street, or Elvis). Detroit? Canada is a mile away (see, I can come up with something good to say about Detroit). I need to explain Milwaukee because it's actually a great city. It's just very industrial. Most Wisconsin cities are clean but Milwaukee just looks kind of crappy. Kansas City is like that too. Just a lot of old abandoned buildings and railroads, but get off the freeway and KC isn't too bad. I didn't say excellent, just not that bad.

People don't have much good to say about the flat states, but Des Moines, Omaha, and Tulsa are not bad. Oklahoma City looks like a truck stop and Wichita is, well, just Wichita (can't say much good or bad). Just do a Google search and look for pictures of these cities and you might be surprised.

Des Moines
http://blog.busbank.com/wp-content/u...des_moines.gif

Omaha
http://www.seiu.org/omaha.jpg

Tulsa
http://thepublishingmaster.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/tulsa_skyline.jpg (broken link)
Ok where all did you go in Memphis? The rest of the city is not just ghetto. In fact, many areas of Memphis make Beale Street look completely ghetto. There are pleanty of very nice neighborhoods within the city limits. Most of them are in Midtown, East Memphis, or Mud Island, which is close to Beale Street. You wouldn't believe these neighborhoods were in Memphis.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 PM

184 posts, read 438,280 times
You might be right about East ST. Louis (Never been there), but not St. Louis itself. St. Louis has beautiful suburbs and friendly people. I'd move there in a heartbeat. We were there for a wedding last year & all of of the out of state relatives loved it. It's so American and real. Safe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.