Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,545 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you have heard about "voluntary simplicity" or escaping the rat race. that often entails moving to a lower cost area. where in the US is it still affordable to live, i'm talking as low as possible and be able to enjoy nature and life. I'm tired of spinning my wheels like a rat in a cage. There has to be a better way to live. I'm sure some have figured it out that our consumeristic society is not working. at least for me it's not.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
It depends upon how small of a region you are looking for. There are hundreds of small-to-medium-sized cities in our nation that still have a relatively-low cost-of-living and great quality-of-life. Even amongst large metropolitan areas, there are still some that come to mind that are somewhat affordable (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee immediately come to mind).

Are there any other requirements you'd like fulfilled besides "cheap?" What about geographic location (Pacific Northwest? Gulf Coast? New England? Upper Midwest? etc.?), climate (mild summers/harsh winters, harsh summers/mild winters, etc.?), metro size (<100,000 residents, 250,000 residents, 1 million+ residents?) I've studied these forums and all sorts of demographics information a LOT, so I have a pretty good grasp on different cities and what they have to offer.

Just asking for a "cheap place," probably isn't a good idea, because then people could recommend places like Camden, NJ to you!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,545 times
You know, i need to think about this some more to pick a price range.
NEVER MIND FOLKS, DISREGARD THIS POST FOR NOW AND I'LL REPOST WHEN I HAVE SOME CRITERIA.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Some of the states with the cheapest real estate prices are Kansas, North Dakota, and Oklahoma.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It depends upon how small of a region you are looking for. There are hundreds of small-to-medium-sized cities in our nation that still have a relatively-low cost-of-living and great quality-of-life. Even amongst large metropolitan areas, there are still some that come to mind that are somewhat affordable (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee immediately come to mind).

Are there any other requirements you'd like fulfilled besides "cheap?" What about geographic location (Pacific Northwest? Gulf Coast? New England? Upper Midwest? etc.?), climate (mild summers/harsh winters, harsh summers/mild winters, etc.?), metro size (<100,000 residents, 250,000 residents, 1 million+ residents?) I've studied these forums and all sorts of demographics information a LOT, so I have a pretty good grasp on different cities and what they have to offer.

Just asking for a "cheap place," probably isn't a good idea, because then people could recommend places like Camden, NJ to you!
Rep. for all the good points you've made here. And, for the laugh I got from your last comment (and astute observation) about Camden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.