Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
coming around where? It's down since 2000 and current estimates and trends continue to show a decline.
Actually there is a slow increse in population, but I really don't think it will surpass LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of that white is rugged mountains inhospitable for suburban development, and then the other side of the mountains is desert.
I know that closer to the ocean the white is mountains, but further away is close to desert terrain that can be built on.

Quote:
Yes I know, but as long as the suburbs are able to expand people will always have the choice of leaving the city of Chicago to get away from it's urban problems. The Chicago metro region will always continue to grow but not the city of Chicago itself
Are you serious? you really need me to show what in those "white" areas? Do you know of ways to chop down 8,000-10,000 mountains and build homes on them?

See those tall green things in the background below? they're called MOUNTAINS and can't be built on.
Behind the mountains is open land that's not quite desert.

It was an interesting picture though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The bottom line is, no one is ever going to choose the midwest over another region in the United States-- it offers nothing except flat, bleak landscapes and harsh winters that seem to go on forever. Plus it has such a boring, vanilla culture. It's galling to have to admit but it is the truth.
Well that's a straight out lie.

The main reason people move is because of family, not weather.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I know that closer to the ocean the white is mountains, but further away is close to desert terrain that can be built on.

Behind the mountains is open land that's not quite desert.
No it is desert, it's the Mojave desert. And those desert communities are at least 60 miles away from LA so it will only grow so much b/c of how far away it is, especially with high gas prices and congestion; fewer people are willing to make that commute b/c it's not worth the savings of cheaper housing anymore. Plus those communities are ghetto and are probably some of the hardest hit areas in CA with foreclosures. It's where many former gang members and people from the ghetto in LA move to for cheaper housing, bringing the ghetto with them. LA has pretty much used all available land for development and can only go up now rather than out.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
No it is desert, it's the Mojave desert. And those desert communities are at least 60 miles away from LA so it will only grow so much b/c of how far away it is, especially with high gas prices and congestion; fewer people are willing to make that commute b/c it's not worth the savings of cheaper housing anymore. Plus those communities are ghetto and are probably some of the hardest hit areas in CA with foreclosures. It's where many former gang members and people from the ghetto in LA move to for cheaper housing, bringing the ghetto with them. LA has pretty much used all available land for development and can only go up now rather than out.
It's ironic that the urban downfall that happened in Chicago might soon happen in LA, I mean Chicago once was the size of LA. It's only a matter of time before the city of LA begins that population fall and as you just said it seems people are moving to the burbs.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
It's ironic that the urban downfall that happened in Chicago might soon happen in LA, I mean Chicago once was the size of LA. It's only a matter of time before the city of LA begins that population fall and as you just said it seems people are moving to the burbs.
Please inform me...when did Chicago have almost 20,000,000 people?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Please inform me...when did Chicago have almost 20,000,000 people?
Ya im sorry I clearly said the city of LA not the metro area.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
How do you figure that? The history and dynamics of the two cities are very different. Chicago lost population when most large older American cities lost population due to white flight to NEW suburbs. The white flight occurred in LA except many of those resident just went to the San Fernando Valley, most of which is in the city of LA. Most suburbs in LA are already built out and can't expand anymore except up. And they are some of the densest suburbs in the nation already. I didn't say there was a continuing trend of people going to the suburbs. I indicated that trend is slowing and might reverse itself b/c of the cost of gas and congestion. And b/c those exurbs in the high desert are becoming ghetto's themselves.

Riots in the 1960's pushed many people out of cities but LA still grew while others lost people. The massive concentration of poverty in Chicago's notorious high rise public housing projects never has existed anywhere on the west coast. LA or any city in CA has never had the types of large, high rise public housing projects found in midwestern and east coast cities. Nothing even close to the Robert Taylor projects exist anywhere out west. And yes I know Chicago has torn down many of those projects and is redeveloping them which will help the city improve and bring people back. Even the 1992 riots, high crime rate, 1994 Northridge Earthquake, a horrible real estate downturn, and a severe recession caused by the collapse of the aerospace and defense industries in Southern CA in the 1990's didn't cause LA to lose people in that decade. If that doesn't cause the city to lose people I don't know what will.

LA has a much different history than Chicago or older eastern cities. Even early on it was fairly suburban and spread out. It used to have the largest inter-urban streetcar network in the nation that allowed for more horizontal living before autos became widespread. It's never lost population and is denser today than it ever was. Also immigration plays a big role in population growth in LA and other large American cities, something that was not present in the 1960's to 1970's to offset white flight.

LA continues to get denser. As it expands it rail system it will only become denser and attract more people to the city. The fact than the entire LA basin is built out as are many of the suburbs will only help keep people in LA. Long commutes, high gas prices, and congestion will encourage people to live closer to their jobs in the city of LA. Just b/c Chicago peaked and fell doesn't mean LA or other younger and still growing cities will.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Ya im sorry I clearly said the city of LA not the metro area.
Okay. I'll give you that...but still...LA is just gonna keep growing. (Almost) Everyone is trying to live more of an urban or environmentally friendly or just more economic lifestyle and the majority of urban neighborhoods are in the city of LA. Once the economy rebounds, I believe people will once again be buying more homes, but not SFRs, condos in urban, walkable neighborhoods. It's obvious with the way that Manhattan keeps trying to fit more and more people and pretty much all cities are growing taller, not wider (except the sunbelt). Even suburban LA is building more condos and midrises or at least not so much sprawl. Sadly, the valley is gonna be stuck like that with not enough public transportation.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Okay. I'll give you that...but still...LA is just gonna keep growing. (Almost) Everyone is trying to live more of an urban or environmentally friendly or just more economic lifestyle and the majority of urban neighborhoods are in the city of LA. Once the economy rebounds, I believe people will once again be buying more homes, but not SFRs, condos in urban, walkable neighborhoods. It's obvious with the way that Manhattan keeps trying to fit more and more people and pretty much all cities are growing taller, not wider (except the sunbelt). Even suburban LA is building more condos and midrises or at least not so much sprawl. Sadly, the valley is gonna be stuck like that with not enough public transportation.
Exactly, this is a trend that will help LA continue to grow and become denser. But it will also help Chicago continue to redevelop as well and grow, as it will with many other large American cities.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 PM

6 posts, read 37,780 times
Both L.A. and Chicago will grow in population. Will Chicago ever pass L.A. or even approach L.A.'s population? In terms of city limits, it is possible but unlikely due to two factors previously mentioned, weather and coastal location. In terms of metro population, it would take MANY MANY years of a Chicago metro boom and a flatline in L.A.'s metro growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.