Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 PM

284 posts, read 696,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
Very well said with good points and coverage on many areas!

In my personal opinion; No way! Nothing sort of a catastophic event will eliminate NYC and LA from holding the two top positions. Say nothing of their respective MSA's. The real question though is already being debated on another thread; when will Houston overtake Chicago? Or when will Houston become an Alpha World City? One could make a very strong argument that Houston as of now is a more important city than Chicago. In my mind it isn't even a question anymore. Simply put, the city proper of Houston will become a more popular area to live than Chicago proper well within my lifetime. The numbers speak for themselves, and I'm not talking about just population here. With Phoenix now rounding out the top five, it will be interesting to watch within the next fifty years. Even then, it will be a toss-up between Houston, Chicago, and Phoenix. NYC and LA will still be on top with out a doubt! The possibility of Phoenix taking over Chicago maybe be taking it a little to far, but then again, fifty years ago, no Phoenix native would have ever thought that Philly would be less populated than Phoenix.
I have to disagree with u. But i agree Houston will probably pass Chicago with population but it will never be as important to America as Chicago is we have big company's here that are world wide i really dont want to mention all of them but lets say two McDonalds and Motorola and yea they are in the burbs but the burbs will not be here if chicago was not here so dont say houston is more important then chicago cause it is not.

The truth is though Houston will pass chicago in population if things stay the same as they are now and so that means Chicago will never pass LA but what if they do something could happen like it did with detroit.
All i know is people are trying to be fortune tellers and say what the future has for us when we cant predict any thing all we now a place like omaha can pass Houston Chicago and LA we will never know. look at phenoix 10 years ago i would of never said it would be where it is today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 PM

19 posts, read 22,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just curious as to what people think. I think it's possible, but then again, LA is starting to transiiton to more urban living. If LA can have this high density with just single family homes, imagine what it would be like if our downtown expanded and many single family homes were replaced with low to mid rise apartments and condos. But then again, Chicago has already made the transition to urban living and it is much better to live in Downtown Chicago than Downtown LA which means more people can fit in one area which means Chicago may become larger. Chicago also has no barriers around its suburbs so they can just expand and expand while in LA, we have mountains blocking us.

I believe Chicago may one day pass LA at the rate LA is moving, but not any time soon. By the time Chicago has enough people to surpass LA, LA will have made a better transition to urban living which means we can fit more people into our small space.

According to Wiki, Chicago has higher density, but LA is mostly all suburbs, so if we become more urban, i don't think Chicago has a chance.
chicago wont have the 2nd population for a long time.who knows, maybe by 2020 chicago will surpass L.A.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
I have to disagree with u. But i agree Houston will probably pass Chicago with population but it will never be as important to America as Chicago is we have big company's here that are world wide i really dont want to mention all of them but lets say two McDonalds and Motorola and yea they are in the burbs but the burbs will not be here if chicago was not here so dont say houston is more important then chicago cause it is not.

The truth is though Houston will pass chicago in population if things stay the same as they are now and so that means Chicago will never pass LA but what if they do something could happen like it did with detroit.
All i know is people are trying to be fortune tellers and say what the future has for us when we cant predict any thing all we now a place like omaha can pass Houston Chicago and LA we will never know. look at phenoix 10 years ago i would of never said it would be where it is today
Houston isn't far behind Chicago when it comes to importance; in fact, some people would put the two on the same level.

We all know how important Mcdonald is, especially all the grease and fats that go into their foods causing obesity/heart attacks,etc. Motorola isn't the only cellphone company in the world, I use Cingular btw.

Not trying to down Chicago or say it's not more important than Houston,but I wouldn't use those two as examples to prove a point.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston isn't far behind Chicago when it comes to importance; in fact, some people would put the two on the same level.

We all know how important Mcdonald is, especially all the grease and fats that go into their foods causing obesity/heart attacks,etc. Motorola isn't the only cellphone company in the world, I use Cingular btw.

Not trying to down Chicago or say it's not more important than Houston,but I wouldn't use those two as examples to prove a point.
Sure McDonald's isnt healthy, but most businesses on earth could only DREAM of having their success. And the fact that I drive by their corporate offices in Oak Brook, IL and can visit the very first McDonald's is kinda neat. Chicago and its suburbs are HUGELY important and very globally important with all of our Fortune 500, etc, companies. And the fact that Chicago remains the leader in corporate relocation and expansion projects is testament that this area is and will continue to be hugely important. Houston is far from being a slouch, but I just dont think its nearly on the level that Chicago is. Kinda close, yes, but no cigar.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 PM

284 posts, read 696,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

i can use those examples McDonald is the biggest fast food restaurant in this country i bet u probably go there once a week and Motorola is not the only cell phone company but one of the largest i bet u had one moto phone in your life.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Chicago is well placed to expand again given changes in economics and politics---history in other words. Chicago is on a major trade route and anchors the most important agricultural region of the continent. It's also well placed with regards to timber, coal, iron and other raw materials. There will always be something going on there.

LA is very much a product of our times, as is Houston. Chicago is better positioned if times change and they always do.

San Franciso is the best positioned west coast city and they will always be something going on there. 100 years from now LA could be a ghost town. San Francisco, Chicago, New York and Charleston will always be important. Seattle too. And Montreal.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
By the time Chicago has enough people to surpass LA, LA will have made a better transition to urban living which means we can fit more people into our small space.
As whites move away from both CA and IL, this is a question of growth for the Hispanics in CA and blacks in IL. Time will tell who wins that war and what the answer to your question is.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM

47 posts, read 139,609 times
McDonalds was founded in Los angeles county and the first McDonalds was in san bernideno L.A. county not chicago and fast food is not even important besides half of the fast food resturaunts were made in California e.g. jack in a Box, Carls Jr. etc

Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Chicago is well placed to expand again given changes in economics and politics---history in other words. Chicago is on a major trade route and anchors the most important agricultural region of the continent. It's also well placed with regards to timber, coal, iron and other raw materials. There will always be something going on there.

LA is very much a product of our times, as is Houston. Chicago is better positioned if times change and they always do.

San Franciso is the best positioned west coast city and they will always be something going on there. 100 years from now LA could be a ghost town. San Francisco, Chicago, New York and Charleston will always be important. Seattle too. And Montreal.
How will LA be a ghost town? I think being on a trade route from Asia and CHINA and having one of the world's largest ports is pretty damn important too. LA keeps adding people while Chicago swings back and forth between growth and decline. What "changes in economics and politics" will help Chicago expand? And how is it better positioned?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How will LA be a ghost town? I think being on a trade route from Asia and CHINA and having one of the world's largest ports is pretty damn important too. LA keeps adding people while Chicago swings back and forth between growth and decline. What "changes in economics and politics" will help Chicago expand? And how is it better positioned?

San Francisco has a better natural harbor than LA, one of the best in the world, and San Francisco is better watered. If things go to Hell San Francisco will dominate as it did in the past. What about LA's position is needed, that can't be done as well somewhere else? LA could end up a temporary city, like Cairo Illinois. Detroit is in a better long term position than LA.

I already explained the advantages of Chicago's position.

Changes in economics and politics can't be seen in detail only in certainty. You can be sure that in 100 years this nation will be a very different place, maybe sooner. Who 50 years ago saw what would happen to Detroit and Youngstown?

History takes the long view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.