Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
I still say it would take something freakish like a LA-San Fernando Valley split to put Chicago at #2 again any time soon.
Did you actually know about that or did you guess? The SFV has been trying to secede from LA for a while now and it is actually on their ballots. Last year, the secession passed, but LA City Council officials quickly put down the idea.

About people living in LA. If I told you I lived in Playa del Rey, El Segundo, El Sereno, Van Nuys, Calabasas, or something similar, would you know that I lived in LA? The answer would be no for at least 50% of people not living in LA. People consider themselves part of LA since we count the city (almost 4 mil) as one stastic, the county (10 mil) as another, LA and OC as another, and the Greater LA area of Ventura, SB, and Riv. counties as another (over 20 mil). The greater LA area covers almost 5k sq. miles so it would be insane to say that we all live in LA. Also, within LA county (which is what most consider to be LA), there are many, many individual incorporated and unincorporated cities (Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Long Beach, etc. are all examples of cities within the LA area.

About the economy, you are correct. I don't know about LA by itself, but in all of CA, if were our own country, we would have the fifth largest ecnomony in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM

79 posts, read 536,734 times
YEa, chicago should to be the second largest in the us.Largest cities in the United States by population by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If all the global stuff reall happens yes. Maybe 50-70 years i think most of the coastal cties will be flooded. When that happens everyone will come back to the midwest and chicago would be number 1. The midwest will be really valuable seeing how the largest freshwater lakes are located there. Imagine buying plenty of real estate have it set up for your grandkids. they will be rich !!!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 PM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Did you actually know about that or did you guess?
Yes, I'd heard of it before. (Actually, I was secretly hoping it passed 'cause I wanted Chicago to be #2 again! )

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Nah. That's okay. We'll keep it just so that LA can stay #2 or eventually #1, hopefully.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
[quote=jessemh431;1759001]Did you actually know about that or did you guess? The SFV has been trying to secede from LA for a while now and it is actually on their ballots. Last year, the secession passed, but LA City Council officials quickly put down the idea.

About people living in LA. If I told you I lived in Playa del Rey, El Segundo, El Sereno, Van Nuys, Calabasas, or something similar, would you know that I lived in LA? The answer would be no for at least 50% of people not living in LA. People consider themselves part of LA since we count the city (almost 4 mil) as one stastic, the county (10 mil) as another, LA and OC as another, and the Greater LA area of Ventura, SB, and Riv. counties as another (over 20 mil). The greater LA area covers almost 5k sq. miles so it would be insane to say that we all live in LA. Also, within LA county (which is what most consider to be LA), there are many, many individual incorporated and unincorporated cities (Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Long Beach, etc. are all examples of cities within the LA area.

That is the point I was making. I lived in Van Nuys years ago and thought of myself living in Van Nuys, not LA. Like LA, Chicago has numerous surrounding cities, like Van Nuys, (refered here as suburbs of Chicago). Some of which have fairly substantial populations. So as you said, they will say they live in Chicago, but technically they don't and they're not considered part of Chicago's actual population. Chicago is similar in that we have 3 statistics; those who acutally live IN Chicago, those who live in Cook County and then the total population including Chicago, Cook County and all of the outlying suburbs which include other counties.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Chicago's Population doesn't seem to be growing rapidly,while L.A's Population continues on a rapid increase,so nope I don't think Chicago's Population will surpass L.A.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
How does LA calculate its population?
It depends on what you are referring to when you say "LA." There are calculations for the city of LA, the county of LA, the LA metro area which includes both LA and Orange Counties, and the LA Combined Statistical Area (CBA) which includes LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura Counties.

Within the city of LA itself, there are many distinct neighborhoods and districts that the post office allows residents to use the name of in their mailing address even though they technically live in the city of LA. Examples of this would include Pacific Palisades, Venice, Hollywood, Century City, and most of the neighborhoods in the Valley like Van Nuys, Encino, Tarzana, Sherman Oaks, etc. All of these places are part of the city of LA.

It's just like Brooklyn and Queens. They're both part of NYC.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Default Thank you

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
It depends on what you are referring to when you say "LA." There are calculations for the city of LA, the county of LA, the LA metro area which includes both LA and Orange Counties, and the LA Combined Statistical Area (CBA) which includes LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura Counties.

Within the city of LA itself, there are many distinct neighborhoods and districts that the post office allows residents to use the name of in their mailing address even though they technically live in the city of LA. Examples of this would include Pacific Palisades, Venice, Hollywood, Century City, and most of the neighborhoods in the Valley like Van Nuys, Encino, Tarzana, Sherman Oaks, etc. All of these places are part of the city of LA.

It's just like Brooklyn and Queens. They're both part of NYC.
Yes thank you for saying that. just like north hollywood Its still L.A. even though the mail says noth Hollywood. Just like Queens in ny. my friend said that he recieves his mail with Queens on it. But Queens is still new york.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Doubt it. But cities like Chicago don't need to be the 2nd largest to be great.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Right.

Van Nuys is a general neighborhood within the distinct City of Los Angeles within the County of Los Angeles within the State of California.

I live in the neighborhood of Lakeview within the distinct City of Chicago within the County of Cook within the state of Illinois.

Exact same situation in both areas. They might mark the mail differently since LA is physically so much larger than Chicago, and Chicago has a very strict grid and street system which makes marking mail for the entire City at once extremely easy. Other than that, it's just a post office thing, but means nothing more.

I tell everyone I live in Lakeview when I meet people, not Chicago. Even though I associate myself with Lakeview, I of course know I DO live in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.