Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
This kind of thing is all relative. Is it the best for some people? Of course. But not for millions--which is why California, Texas, and Florida are all more populated than, say, New York. While the snow during December for the holidays, or the summer heat in July may be ideal, most people prefer a mild-to-warm climate, as humans are a tropical species, after all. And yes, the cold & snow does get old, VERY old. People get tired of scraping ice off their windshields, wearing jackets, and shoveling snow. After New Years Day, most people I know that do enjoy 4 seasons are done with winter and ready for spring. Food being the best is also an opinion. The Northeast has great food, but it's not the best culinary destination. That title belongs to New Orleans. Besides, the West has foodie cities like LA, Seattle, Honolulu, Portland, and San Francisco that are as good, if not better, than what out East offers (pizza and cheesesteaks).

Personally, there's some things about out East that I like. I really love spring and summer out here. But I don't like the people, I don't like winter (even fall is just "meh" for me), I don't like the lifestyle, and I don't like how crowded and expensive everything is. There's more scenic variety out West. Everything here is just kind of the same. Beautiful in places, but it all looks the same--forest and some marshy areas. Out West, it goes from temperate rainforests, to Mediterranean-esque beaches. From mountains with 4-seasons, to deserts. And if we include Hawaii and Alaska, from Arctic tundra to tropical beaches and jungles.
Not me. It's Jan 7 and winter is just beginning and I want winter to last well into the end of March. I hope we get lots of snow, because I love to shovel snow, and enjoy the appearance of snow. Seeing the same scenery all year round would bore me to death. I don't care if most people don't prefer that. What's popular isn't always the best. For example, I like classical music, but most people don't care for it.

Last year, we had to wear heavy North Face winter jackets well into April, here in CT. Two months later, we were cranking the AC and sweating. I love a dynamic climate. Uneventful climates bore me.

And your comment about the whole northeast being expensive and crowded is a joke. That's only for the coast.

Furthermore, at least 50% of the population out west is living in even MORE crowded and even MORE expensive environments. In the West, most of the population is concentrated in huge crowded, expensive metro areas such as LA, SD, SF, Seattle, and Denver. And Phoenix is very crowded, albeit cheap. Hawaii and California are more expensive than anything in the northeast. So that argument is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
^^^ Why do you mention climate as if it doesn't change in the West?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times
Today it was 75 degrees out and I went for a drive with the top down, then I went for a hike and watched the sunset on the beach. If I want world class snow I can get to it in a couple hour drive (snow that beats anything in the East). Screw having "four seasons" I'll take coastal California.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You are being facetious, right? I mean, since I have never been to San Diego County, how would I know it's the best region for me? Therefore it can't possibly be best for everyone until I have been there.
Yeah, I was trolling a bit to perk up the thread. It's a nice place with the most perfect weather in the US, nice beaches, it has pretty much anything you'd want for dining, shopping, or nightlife, it's a little cheaper than LA ....... but somehow it manages to be bland, everything is beige, it's always sunny and 70f; it just doesn't do anything to get the juices flowing.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 AM

My friend and her husband have been living in San Diego for 2 years and they can't wait to move back east (to Florida) for the lush greenery.

Also, my uncle who grew up in the Lake Tahoe area, and subsequently, SoCal, was excited to move to New England, four years ago and hasn't looked back. He said that the "change in seasons was welcome, and he was ready for the change."

Old 01-08-2015, 08:13 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
6. The scenery is simply beautiful. Mountains, beaches, wetlands, rolling hills, plains, lakes, and plenty of greenery makes the region feel very full of life. Compare that with the Midwest, which is flat and boring. Or the West, which is dry and brown looking....yuck! The coast of Maine is stunning, as well as the Adirondack and Berkshire mountain chains. The forest is also the deciduous type...with bright leafy green leaves; not the drab dark green you would find in northern CA, for example.
The Midwest is not all flat and boring, just like your beloved east coast is not all beautiful and mountainous. And the west has PLENTY of greenery, and majestic mountains that make your east coast mountains look like termite mounds. Your eyes need a serious opening.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My friend and her husband have been living in San Diego for 2 years and they can't wait to move back east (to Florida) for the lush greenery.

Also, my uncle who grew up in the Lake Tahoe area, and subsequently, SoCal, was excited to move to New England, four years ago and hasn't looked back. He said that the "change in seasons was welcome, and he was ready for the change."
SoCal is dry and some people don't like that. However, most people prefer that nice weather to seasons. You said "what's popular isn't always right"--you should've said "right for YOU". Four seasons isn't right for me or most people, who prefer mild-to-warm weather, and don't enjoy shoveling snow, and don't want winter lasting into what should be spring. If one is a true 4 seasons lover, they wouldn't want winter to last all the way into the end of March, which is when spring begins.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
SoCal is dry and some people don't like that. However, most people prefer that nice weather to seasons. You said "what's popular isn't always right"--you should've said "right for YOU". Four seasons isn't right for me or most people, who prefer mild-to-warm weather, and don't enjoy shoveling snow, and don't want winter lasting into what should be spring. If one is a true 4 seasons lover, they wouldn't want winter to last all the way into the end of March, which is when spring begins.
Yes, but I like to feel the wrath of winter and the challenges that come along with it. It build character.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
The thing is, California and other Western streets have four seasons. It's not like they don't exist out here. BTW, I'm not directing this towards you.

And since lots of people automatically think of Los Angeles when they think of California, there are four seasons here. The weather changes in the spring, summer, autumn, and winter.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I think living in a year-round tropical place builds character. Enduring heat, walking and thunderstorms, and most importantly, it builds a laid-back lifestyle where your character is kind, positive, and loving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.