Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Yellow Springs, Ohio

...as we in the Dayton area say "That's where all the hippies are!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, I'd say just about anywhere in Washington or Oregon.
Not at all. The vast majority of the small towns are conservative. Very much so on the east side of the Cascades. Lots of suitable college towns though - Olympia, Bellingham, Eugene, maybe even Ellensburg, Pullman, and several others. Plus a few non-college towns with a hippie reputation, like Astoria and Port Townsend. And then of course northern California within 50 miles of the coast is the small-town-hippie epicenter of the universe...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM

139 posts, read 328,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Sounds like Fairfax, CA. It's a great place, with a charming, laid back downtown area and a very chill, throwback kind of vibe. Beautiful mountains and mountain lakes are all around. plenty of great weed. There's a live-and-let-live attitude that permeates the small town and stands in sharp contrast to some other Marin County places. It's only 40 minutes fro San Francisco, but it seems like it's hours away. Simply beautiful.
Marin is super expensive and though I don't know anything about Fairfax I don't think of Marin as hippy. I was born and raised in San Mateo County (Palo Alto, Woodside).

Now Santa Cruz that fits the bill for sure. And when I first read the post I TOTALY thought of Arcata: Arcata, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only thing that does not make your list is that it is 4 hours from San Francisco. But it is a lot cheaper to live up there then many other places in CA. I have never been but I did a second Bachelors in nursing in Puerto Rico and there were many of us from CA because we just could not get into a school but a handful from Arcata and Humboldt after Humboldt state shut down their nursing dept. Very, very nice people from that part of the state.

I think Arcata is as hippy as you get in CA.

Here is a random web site listing hippy towns by state: Hippie Havens

Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM

802 posts, read 983,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post

I think Arcata is as hippy as you get in CA.
Humboldt Institute for Interdisciplinary Marijuana Research.

game, set, match!

or not? THC University in Denver, Colorado

Last edited by highplainsrus; 04-04-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, I'd say just about anywhere in Washington or Oregon.
If anywhere is Eugene, OR. The rest except bits of urban areas ain't that hippy. More big trucks with G.Loomis stickers elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Not at all. The vast majority of the small towns are conservative. Very much so on the east side of the Cascades. Lots of suitable college towns though - Olympia, Bellingham, Eugene, maybe even Ellensburg, Pullman, and several others.
For sure not Pullman or Ellensburg. And in only a small part of Olympia (around Evergreen) and Bellingham, and it is expensive in both places, especially for larger parcels of land. Olympia has more military than hippies, being adjacent to Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:06 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,730 times
Austin TX - not in the suburbs, west side or immediate downtown.

Around the University area or 78704 possibly.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM

176 posts, read 348,751 times
Fremont neighborhood in Seattle, Fairfax Ca, Boulder CO are probably some of your best bets.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Fremont neighborhood in Seattle, Fairfax Ca, Boulder CO are probably some of your best bets.
Fremont is WAY too expensive for hippies anymore. I have heard they all hitchhiked down to Eugene and Humbolcino.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca NY, but for something smaller outside of Ithaca, look into Trumansburg.
Visit Ithaca

Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Ithaca's definitely not a bad rec. Certainly couldn't do much better in NY state. However, regarding Trumansburg, which is for me directly en route to Ithaca, well, Trumansburg seems like a standard very small upstate NY town, and if it weren't located, what, 5 miles from Ithaca, then I'm not sure it would've ever crossed your mind. Culturally I see it having more in common with random village X than Ithaca. I certainly could be wrong, however.

As for the cannabis issue...although NY has some arcane law on the books where they were technically the first state to establish a medical MJ program (which was subsequently underfunded/ignored but never actually rescinded, if I'm recalling this correctly...definitely google-able for someone more motivated than I), it's not "MJ friendly" as per the wishes of the OP. However, in Ithaca proper, I would have to assume that possession is decriminalized, if only because I can't conceive of marijuana-related arrests being made in those environs.

The PNW/NorCal recommendations made in this thread are probably better bets, but Ithaca and Burlington VT are worth checking out in the NE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.