Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt the OP is an American IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM

486 posts, read 863,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting perspective that new housing is perceived to be nicer than older housing, as many find nice, historic homes in well kept up neighborhoods to be more attractive than new clone-like McMansion housing stacked side by side in treeless neighborhoods. Also for that matter your assertion that older homes are always surrounded by "hoods" shows your unfamiliarity with the topic since that certainly isn't the case in big cities, though perhaps 20 years ago before gentrification took place. People are (and have been) moving back to many of the big cities and transforming them into nice places to live for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
When we retire we are moving to a "city" (compared to where I am now). I miss not having to drive 25 minutes to a live theatre, abundance of restaurants, and general "life". I like the hustle and bustle of an urban environment. Plus, I'm over taking care of my home - I want something smaller.
Actually being young and being older is the appeal of a city. If your older you have more options
when it comes to ethnic, unique & charming restaurants, better health care, better choices for all types
of shopping, diversity and with that the opportunity to learn about different people and cultures,
historical buildings, parks, sculptures, the visual and performing arts, museums, concerts, jazz, blues,
major visiting broadway shows and on and on. This also attracts the young.

However, if you enjoy the outdoors in terms of hiking, skiing, camping, hunting etc.. then living
in the city wouldn't be your thing.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
I can't tell if the OP is joking or not, but I'll answer the question seriously.

I am an outdoors type. I like the Mountains, the forests, etc. I like my space, I like the serenity of nature, and I even enjoy seclusion much of the time. Eventually I'd love to live in the country or the mountains in a nice cabin on a big plot of land. I'd like to grow my own food, fish, and have smaller livestock even. Though this is my ideal living situation, it doesn't accommodate my goals or career. I'm a musician, which means I need to be near other musicians as well as venues. To get a wide variety of musicians and venues I need to live in the city. Also, since I'm a musician and focus much of my time on music and consider it my career I don't have time for a second career, but I also don't make enough as a musician to support myself which means I need a day job, and it's a lot easier to find a job in a city. That's why I live in a city and not the country.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,815 times
poor people live in cities for the ammenties like public transportation, subsidized housing, job availability

rich people live in cities for the ammenties like live entertainment, luxury shopping, social opportunities and job availability

people in general live in cities for walkable neighborhoods, general liveliness, proximity to friends/family, and a feeling of engagement in society

personally I have lived in the city, the country, and the suburbs and enjoyed all three.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
why would anyone live in the city limits of any city in America? In most cities the "nice" housing is small, older, "row house" type in some cities, and very expensive. Not only that but most of these "nice neighborhoods" in the city are surrounded by nothing but HOOD so it's like you're on a lonely island is it not? The hood housing is often way bigger, newer and nicer looking than the houses the upper middle class/rich people live in. The only housing you can get at a decent price in the city is in said hoods but obviously that's a terrible idea. Yeah it has a little more entertainment options I guess but most of the things people say you can do in the city you can do anywhere.

It's not just the city that's like this tho. Plenty of pretty small towns are like this as well just way less expensive but it'd still be a better idea to live outside the "city limits" in these places too.
This argument doesn't make any sense, that someone wouldn't want to live somewhere solely because it's "expensive". That's like asking why someone would want to live in a huge mansion with a pool when its expensive. God doesn't put forth a decree designating an area to be expensive, it becomes that way through whatever combination it has of good location, nice housing stock, access to shopping and entertainment, amenities etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Obviously, European cities are far superior to American cities in almost every category, but there are some cities here that are ok. There is a certain culture here that is not nearly as present in Europe....... violent culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.