Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:07 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times

Advertisements

What is the worst big city in america?

I have to say Indianapolis. Im sorry but its awful in my opinion and it could be so much better. Its the 12th largest city in america, not Wichita.

Actually, Indianapolis skyline from the interstate is rather decent but thats about the best part of Indy is going through on Interstate 70.

I dont know what it is but the combination of horrible architecture covering a majority of the city, abandoned lots it seems rural in alot of areas, very high violent crime rates, horrible public transit.

The downtown is clean, but it was not vibrant at all. The neighborhoods I saw adjacent to downtown were fairly run-down, unimpressive with small shacky wooden homes. They had a few brick-apartment buildings on one side of downtown but overall it didnt seem to increase the lack of urbanity in Indianapolis.

Overall, a very unimpressive large city. Its not unique and a violent crime cesspool. Its just too bad Indianapolis never went the direction of Louisville an hour and a half down the road.

Cincinnati the other city in the triangle has other major urban problems on the same level as Indianapolis but its a much more unique city, with first-class urbanity, neighborhoods and economically better.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Indy isnt that horrible, there are many unique things about Indy that make it great.

Worst city over 500K? LOTS! lol Detroit is pretty nasty, but also unique. My vote would probably go to LA (minus the weather). Uninspiring, over sprawled, gangbanger and illegalville, overpriced and overcrowded. Not to mention the pollution and crime...

Old 07-05-2007, 02:24 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,172 times
Cool Since lacking travels throughout the US...

I have to stick with Detroit as it is the only one I know well enough to cast any kind of vote on. Depressed and crime ridden, dirty and scary... and the poor road condition of the surrounding highways don't make it any better.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Oh Boy

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Why don't we just stick to ranking a city based on it's MSA....by staying in the city limits you can unfairly stereotype a city.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:45 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,896 times
Default Dallas

Well, it's the only one I've actually lived in, but it is very crime-ridden & a lot of bad neighborhoods from what I can remember And the people there aren't too friendly to welcome you into their city if you're not from the South!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,358 times
Indianapolis isn't that bad. Sure it has a long way to go, but it will happen if you have people that want it to change. If there's people that just sit and complain and don't do anything about it, then there won't be any result.
I like Indy, but I think it could do much better as do you. Better public transit, and more unique neighborhoods. However, every city has room from improvements.
Crime has been rising, but hopefully it may come back down with the merger of the two police departments.
Indy does have some urban hoods, but everyone makes it out to be a northern sun belt city (I know it's not on the sunbelt, but people seem to think it resembles one). I saw some pics of great urban areas in Indy. I'll have to post the link later.

Anyways, my pick for the worst big city in america is Detroit. it could be a great city, but there's too many problems with it (racism, extreme urban decay, extreme crime.) Sad thing is, some people like it that way..

Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

150 posts, read 689,035 times
Quote:
My vote would probably go to LA (minus the weather). Uninspiring, over sprawled, gangbanger and illegalville, overpriced and overcrowded. Not to mention the pollution and crime...
You know alot of those things are describing Chicago too, lol, gangs violence, overpriced, overcrowded, and crime. I really dont understand the hate for LA, its a beautiful city with all walks of life, second city of America, give it some respect.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
The difference between LA's crime and Chicago's crime is that Chicago's is much more contained to specific neighborhoods. In LA it's a lot more random and spread out. That has its good and bad points; for those of us who live in the nice parts of Chicago, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that large swaths of this city are truly Hell on earth, and that's not conducive to recognizing and resolving the issue. But the point is, you can live in this city and enjoy all of its amenities and rarely have to deal with anything more serious than a stolen car radio, if that. As for being overpriced... I have to strenuously disagree. I can't think of any other world-class, metropolitan, international city on earth that is as cheap to live in as Chicago. I mean, it's no Pittsburgh or Omaha in terms of affordability, but Pittsburgh and Omaha are no Chicago when it comes sheer cosmopolitan stature. This place simply has an unbeatable price-to-performance ratio. We are the Chevy Corvette of international cities: hanging with the Ferraris and Aston-Martins and Lamborghinis of the world at a fraction of the price. I'd easily be paying twice as much for my apartment in LA as I do now.

As for overcrowded.... well, uhm, Chicago is way denser than LA so if LA's overcrowded, Chicago certainly is too.... but it's real hard to separate "city" from "crowded, now isn't it...

Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times
Pittsburgh has alot of world-class attributes, Chicago is a great city that is world-class but Pittsburgh is much more affordable and does have nearly as many world-class attributes as Chicago.

Chicago is a world city (more then just a big city) so one would expect great amenities out of Chicago, Pittsburgh however on a per-capita basis for a city of 310,000 is completely amazing on the sheer scope of what the city has to offer beyond comparison. Being from Denver, the first time I was in Pittsburgh I was overwhelmed by jealously.

As far overall, Pittsburgh isnt Chicago but per-capita Pittsburgh offers more amenities then any city in the United States in my opinion.

UPMC is one of the hugest medical centers one could ever see. The thing is a huge goliath, its incredible how a city of 300,000 people can have such a huge medical center. I remember riding the bus from Oakland to Downtown being amazed by the sheer size of that hospital

Pittsburgh has two downtowns. Downtown Pittsburgh has one the highest concentrations of large corperations in the nation and Oakland and the near Oakland area has one of the largest concentrations of college students in the nation. Pittsburgh is a city of 310,000 yes the metroppolitan area is much, much larger but even if Pittsburgh were a city of two million its amenities would be far above average.

Its public transportation is one of the best and cleanest also. Their are metropolitan areas of four million people that can not compare to Pittsburgh's and that is after Pittsburgh has had severe transit cuts.

The topographical appeal of Pittsburgh is the best in the nation by far. Seattle, San Diego, Miami are popular because of recreational amenities even the coast of northern Minnesota is very popular. Pittsburgh has the rivers and the most stunning topographical set-up in the united states.

I am sure very few could doubt Pittsburgh offers what Chicago does in absolute terms, but as far as per-capita amenities it has to be the highest in the country by far and no city comes close. For a city of 310,000 people proper to offer so much is just beyond belief!

I am a big Denver cheerleader, its a great city but it would just be amazing if Denver had the infrastructure that Pittsburgh does its no comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.