Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college soon and I've really been giving a lot of thought to moving out of state to start my career and just try something different. I currently live in Phoenix (born and raised) but I would love live back East (when I say East I mean east of the Mississippi not Eastcoast). I'm a Public Relations and Communications major if that helps. Here are the cities I'm anticipating a possible move to:

Chicago: I just like the city overall and you get that big city feel without it being too hectic and crowded like NYC. I love all of the older homes and how people parallel park in front of their house. Yes I know it's a reverse migration because people from Chicago move to Phoenix and yada yada yada. And yes I know it's cold and the winter weather can suck but I love the snow and it would be a sharp contrast to Phoenix which is what I'm looking for.

DC: Yes I'm aware of the cost of living but I just love all of the charm of our nation's capital. I love all of the museums and historic sites. It's not far from Philly and NYC for weekend trips which is nice. There's enough in the DC area to keep me entertained for days.

Atlanta: I like Atlanta but I can take it or leave it. It reminds of Phoenix with all of the sprawl in every direction(but nothing like Phoenix of course). Atlanta has a lot of jobs and a rich Southern history. Lots of fun things to do and the cost of living is pretty affordable.

Miami: This city is just so much fun it doesn't make any sense. If I did get a job here I would probably get fired because I'll never go to work haha the beaches, the women(need I say more).

Also is anyone familiar with the churches in these cities? I'm looking for a good Pentecostal(Apostolic) church to attend. If you know of any good churches feel free to chime in. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
What's your income? How much money do you have saved? Are you from a rich, generous family? Not having a clue about finances before moving can be an easy way to waste a ton of money and end up back at home with the 'rents, broke.

And yeah, any of those cities have hundreds of churches.

Do you have job experience? No experience or personal ties will get you a job at a coffee shop (even these entry-level jobs are flooded with applicants). Need more info to help.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What's your income? How much money do you have saved? Are you from a rich, generous family? Not having a clue about finances before moving can be an easy way to waste a ton of money and end up back at home with the 'rents, broke.

And yeah, any of those cities have hundreds of churches.

Do you have job experience? No experience or personal ties will get you a job at a coffee shop (even these entry-level jobs are flooded with applicants). Need more info to help.
The jobs I've been applying for are pretty much all government jobs paying roughly 40-50k starting out. I only have 5k saved at the moment ( I know not much at all) but I'm not planning on moving until I have a job lined up and a little more money saved up. And yes I have experience in advertising and event planning.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Need more info I think. What types of things are you into (i.e. food, entertainment, music, etc)? Are you looking for somewhere that is walkable, or do you not care?

P.S. Chicago has its fair share of hot women and clubs by the way..I guess you could say that about Atlanta too with the women, but different vibe. DC can too, and again..different vibe. On the salary you quote above, the cities that make sense right away would be Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta. Forget DC on that salary (even if it's adjusted to the COL..DC is one of the most expensive places in the country).

As far as the Pentacostal part goes..not familiar, but realize that Chicago has one of the largest Mexican populations in the entire country (500,000 - 600,000 in the city and over 1.1 million in the metro area) and there are some in that community. Also a large Puerto Rican population (over 100,000).

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Need more info I think. What types of things are you into (i.e. food, entertainment, music, etc)? Are you looking for somewhere that is walkable, or do you not care?

P.S. Chicago has its fair share of hot women and clubs by the way..I guess you could say that about Atlanta too with the women, but different vibe. DC can too, and again..different vibe. On the salary you quote above, the cities that make sense right away would be Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta. Forget DC on that salary (even if it's adjusted to the COL..DC is one of the most expensive places in the country).

As far as the Pentacostal part goes..not familiar, but realize that Chicago has one of the largest Mexican populations in the entire country (500,000 - 600,000 in the city and over 1.1 million in the metro area) and there are some in that community. Also a large Puerto Rican population (over 100,000).
Not sure why you felt the need to point out the Hispanic population. Growing up in Phoenix I'm pretty used to being around Mexicans and other Latino groups......that's the least of my concerns

Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Not sure why you felt the need to point out the Hispanic population. Growing up in Phoenix I'm pretty used to being around Mexicans and other Latino groups......that's the least of my concerns
I think you missed my point. You made a point about Pentacostal churches and my point in pointing out the population was that you shouldn't have a problem finding them (you would have more of a problem finding them in DC and maybe Atlanta versus Miami or Chicago) because there are larger communities to support them in a few of your cities versus a few others in your list. If you're offended, then I'm sorry and it wasn't meant to be the main point of my post.

The main point of my post is to gather more information for your personality and what you're into. I could tell you to go to X city all I want, but it might not mesh with your personality at all in reality (living somewhere versus visiting is always different).

Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I think you missed my point. You made a point about Pentacostal churches and my point in pointing out the population was that you shouldn't have a problem finding them (you would have more of a problem finding them in DC and maybe Atlanta versus Miami or Chicago) because there are larger communities to support them in a few of your cities versus a few others in your list. If you're offended, then I'm sorry and it wasn't meant to be the main point of my post.

The main point of my post is to gather more information for your personality and what you're into. I could tell you to go to X city all I want, but it might not mesh with your personality at all in reality (living somewhere versus visiting is always different).
Well it sounds like you're saying Pentecostals are mainly Hispanic at least that how it's coming across to me. I am black by the way lol and Pentecostals are like any other Christians there are black, white, and Hispanic Pentecostals. I think it's kind of funny haha but anyway I'm looking for mainly real big city urban amenities like walkable neighborhoods, cool shows, and pretty much everything Phoenix doesn't have....

Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Well it sounds like you're saying Pentecostals are mainly Hispanic at least that how it's coming across to me. I am black by the way lol and Pentecostals are like any other Christians there are black, white, and Hispanic Pentecostals. I think it's kind of funny haha but anyway I'm looking for mainly real big city urban amenities like walkable neighborhoods, cool shows, and pretty much everything Phoenix doesn't have....
I'm aware of this, believe me. I have many friends who are of the religion. Was just pointing out one of the large populations of it and growing one.

Anyway..walkable neighborhoods, cool shows, etc IMO would be between Chicago and DC, but weighing cost of living here, the edge would go to Chicago quite easily IMO . There are more concerts, theatre, music festivals, etc in Chicago too and believe it or not, a number of publications actually list the nightlife of Chicago ahead of Miami. Miami has better clubs, but well...House music was literally invented in Chicago and there are big names playing all the time at the clubs. Very diversified nightlife in Chicago. Clubs, lounges, bars, dive bars, piano bars, jazz/blues bars, cocktail lounges, etc etc. If food is important to you, then all cities in your list are good for that, but again Chicago is considered the best out of those..although it depends on what you're looking for. If you want Cuban or South American food, then Miami is obviously the winner on average. Atlanta is a strong food city for its size, but in the US there are only three cities with Michelin guides currently - NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Atlanta and Miami are walkable in areas (Miami moreso than Atlanta), but nowhere near the level that Chicago is or DC. And in DC or Chicago, although it comes off as weird to some people, you don't necessarily need to own a car if you live in a number of areas as the public transit is good and everyone takes it (especially if you're more on a budget, not owning a car will save you money).

Then you have to factor in weather to it. I say this honestly but there's not many better cities in the summer than Chicago if at all. The winters though are a lot colder than Arizona obviously and Atlanta and Miami have the definite edge if you want warm weather year round.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM

P.S. here are google maps for "Pentacostal" in the cities:

Chicago - pentecostal near chicago, il - Google Maps
Atlanta - pentecostal near atlanta, ga - Google Maps
Miami - pentecostal near miami, fl - Google Maps
DC - pentecostal near washington, dc - Google Maps

Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of this, believe me. I have many friends who are of the religion. Was just pointing out one of the large populations of it and growing one.

Anyway..walkable neighborhoods, cool shows, etc IMO would be between Chicago and DC, but weighing cost of living here, the edge would go to Chicago quite easily IMO . There are more concerts, theatre, music festivals, etc in Chicago too and believe it or not, a number of publications actually list the nightlife of Chicago ahead of Miami. Miami has better clubs, but well...House music was literally invented in Chicago and there are big names playing all the time at the clubs. Very diversified nightlife in Chicago. Clubs, lounges, bars, dive bars, piano bars, jazz/blues bars, cocktail lounges, etc etc. If food is important to you, then all cities in your list are good for that, but again Chicago is considered the best out of those..although it depends on what you're looking for. If you want Cuban or South American food, then Miami is obviously the winner on average. Atlanta is a strong food city for its size, but in the US there are only three cities with Michelin guides currently - NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Atlanta and Miami are walkable in areas (Miami moreso than Atlanta), but nowhere near the level that Chicago is or DC. And in DC or Chicago, although it comes off as weird to some people, you don't necessarily need to own a car if you live in a number of areas as the public transit is good and everyone takes it (especially if you're more on a budget, not owning a car will save you money).

Then you have to factor in weather to it. I say this honestly but there's not many better cities in the summer than Chicago if at all. The winters though are a lot colder than Arizona obviously and Atlanta and Miami have the definite edge if you want warm weather year round.
Thank you so much for this wonderful information and thank you for taking the time and effort to be of help to someone else. I'm leaning more&more towards Chitown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.