Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 05:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Food? Maybe in 1950. My paternal grandparents were English. I’ve been to the UK dozens of times. The only common food in my diet is fish & chips. That Thanksgiving Turkey is indigenous to North America. Slab of grilled cow isn’t Brit. Or BBQ. Or a taco. Food in the United States is a global fusion.

My zip code is Catholic. As a kid, no meat in the cafeteria on Friday. Ellis Island drowned out the English influence long before any of us were born. The country will be majority minority in the next generation. Only the economic dead zones with no inward migration retain the pre Civil War English cultural dominance.
Right. I wouldn't say my diet is particularly British, aside from occasional roast dinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 08:07 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes the Irish, famously a people that had nothing to do with the British

The biggest issue with the troubles was it was impossible to tell the difference between an Irish and British person on any day but Sunday
Yeah Irish culture definitely took over from the 1950s onwards until about 10-20 years ago in MA. It still is extremely prevalent in the South Shore and Middlesex County.

The MetroWest (Wellesley, Weston) still retains a bit of its British roots more than other towns.

But Ma Is changing almost as far as Lowell went from the Fighter dumpy Irish mill town to Cambodian sort of trendy university city.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 10-11-2020 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-12-2020, 05:37 PM

399 posts, read 820,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... in 1795, there was open debate about whether the national language should be German or English. My mother is a Daughter of the American Revolution. The family name is Fritzinger.
That's a myth, this debate never happened. First of all, there is no official language. The proposition was to translate governement documents in German because there were many German immigrants at the time but they never surpassed the English-speaking population even in Pennsylvania.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah Irish culture definitely took over from the 1950s onwards until about 10-20 years ago in MA. It still is extremely prevalent in the South Shore and Middlesex County.

The MetroWest (Wellesley, Weston) still retains a bit of its British roots more than other towns.

But Ma Is changing almost as far as Lowell went from the Fighter dumpy Irish mill town to Cambodian sort of trendy university city.
Irish culture is basicaly indistinguishable from British culture from say a Mongolian perspective

There is a reason why Irish came to America because it was Basically a British domaine but with food.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:57 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
I would say Irish is a bit more distinctive from British (similar to Sicilian from Italian) but the Scottish have been more ingrained (read colonized) to be less distinguishable. The generic “Scotch-Irish” terminology to describe Americans (usually with roots in Appalachia & Oklahoma) comes from folks descended from Ulster/Northern Ireland.
For example my earliest known ancestors were Scottish in the first half of the 1700s in Massachusetts, and the husband was conscripted to the British Army before escaping and changing his name (to my surname today). Most of the Irish came during the middle half of the following century during the famine and since.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:34 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would say Irish is a bit more distinctive from British (similar to Sicilian from Italian) but the Scottish have been more ingrained (read colonized) to be less distinguishable. The generic “Scotch-Irish” terminology to describe Americans (usually with roots in Appalachia & Oklahoma) comes from folks descended from Ulster/Northern Ireland.
For example my earliest known ancestors were Scottish in the first half of the 1700s in Massachusetts, and the husband was conscripted to the British Army before escaping and changing his name (to my surname today). Most of the Irish came during the middle half of the following century during the famine and since.
I just think “what about the Irish” is such a weird way to draw a distinction of the US from the UK since the main reason America was a large destination of the Irish was because we too are in the Anglosphere.

Plus the Irish historically were also the largest minority in the UK. While that has recently changed the two cultures are intertwined.

Even the parts of Irish culture that aren’t extremely similar to England is largely shaped by their distaste of England (eg Republicanism, Deeply Catholic cultural identity) which itself is an influence

Old 10-12-2020, 09:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Come to think of it, I'm "Scotch Irish" and my ancestry.com specifically states my ancestors are from Ulster. I believe the migration was to PA, where there is a town that happens to have my family name.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:51 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,461,564 times
I've never been to the East Coast. In Utah there's a strong British impact ethnically but less culturally as one would expect in New England or the Carolinas.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
The reason Utah is so British is because the Mormons are very into researching their ancestry. If the entire country did this then more people would realize how British they are. Instead people just identify with whoever their most recent ancestor is that came from overseas. Which is rarely British because most of the British migration was in the 17th-19th century.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:27 PM

218 posts, read 155,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The reason Utah is so British is because the Mormons are very into researching their ancestry. If the entire country did this then more people would realize how British they are. Instead people just identify with whoever their most recent ancestor is that came from overseas. Which is rarely British because most of the British migration was in the 17th-19th century.

The reason Utah is so British is because in its early days, the Mormon church was very successful in doing missionary work in the British Isles. Converts were encouraged to go to Utah, and many (most?) did. While undoubtedly in the US there are more people with British ancestry than realize it, if the whole country started digging into its genealogy, the residents of Utah, due to the state's history, would still have a higher proportion of British ancestry than many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.