Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
I think Santa Monica has one the bigger British areas but can't think of others. I'm sure NYC has a lot.
It doesn't. There are no neighborhoods in NYC that have a "British" vibe, and I think that even the idea of "WASP" culture in general is overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 03:15 PM

405 posts, read 196,427 times
Wow, that's surprising. I thought somewhere in Manhattan would.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:12 PM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser S View Post
Wow, that's surprising. I thought somewhere in Manhattan would.
NYC or Manhattan is way too racially diverse to be in huge influence of British culture. Culturally Manhattan or NYC was Dutch colony first, then acquired by Britain, then joined USA later.

On the other hand, New England is very British in every aspect today. For example, Where is Thames River? that is a river in Connecticut near New London, part of New England today, not too far away from NYC, about three hours train ride from Grand Central Terminal of Manhattan.

I think still even we want to discount British culture in USA outside New England, there is still obvious British cultural print in NYC. Majority of people in NYC speaks English, same as London in UK. I would still rate British heritage to be strong, maybe No.1 in NYC. I noticed in London that even UK London today is racially diverse place. It is not that 99% of Londoners are WASP like white people, not true. London and NYC are similar in many aspect.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
NYC or Manhattan is way too racially diverse to be in huge influence of British culture. Culturally Manhattan or NYC was Dutch colony first, then acquired by Britain, then joined USA later.

On the other hand, New England is very British in every aspect today. For example, Where is Thames River? that is a river in Connecticut near New London, part of New England today, not too far away from NYC, about three hours train ride from Grand Central Terminal of Manhattan.

I think still even we want to discount British culture in USA outside New England, there is still obvious British cultural print in NYC. Majority of people in NYC speaks English, same as London in UK. I would still rate British heritage to be strong, maybe No.1 in NYC. I noticed in London that even UK London today is racially diverse place. It is not that 99% of Londoners are WASP like white people, not true. London and NYC are similar in many aspect.
The fact that we speak English being an example of modern British influence in NYC is quite the stretch.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The fact that we speak English being an example of modern British influence in NYC is quite the stretch.
Culture is cumulative. Like in 1620 the Welsh largely Spoke welsh, not they largely speak English. So the fact the de facto language never changed is a sign of long sustained English Influence and can’t be discounted.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Culture is cumulative. Like in 1620 the Welsh largely Spoke welsh, not they largely speak English. So the fact the de facto language never changed is a sign of long sustained English Influence and can’t be discounted.
Yeah but that's more or less the only thing "British" about modern day NYC. And even then, the accents are much different.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Yeah but that's more or less the only thing "British" about modern day NYC. And even then, the accents are much different.
Maybe on the surface. But something doesn’t have to be directly British to be British Influenced. Like the West End and Broadway are very deeply tied together,

Like Jurassic Park is technically American but is a retelling of Frankenstein. Twilight is technically American but wouldn’t have been published with no Harry Potter. Sure technically West Side Story is American but it’s an adaption if Romeo and Juliet. No War of the Worlds no Independece Day. That’s basically everything except American music in relation to Britain.

I would argue our Literature is almost as British as their Music is American

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-06-2020 at 08:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 06:12 AM

67 posts, read 27,243 times
Threads like this show how invisible British culture is in America. I'm a big Squash fan, grew up in Wisconsin playing it all the time. As soon as I came to England, I joined the nearest sports club.

Manhattan alone has 20 Squash clubs.

I'm sure someone is going to say "that doesn't count" simply because Squash is popular the world-over, but so what? The British invented it, and you can find Squash clubs all across America.

There are also a considerable numbers of Tennis, Golf, Yachting, etc.. establishments in Manhattan. So WASP culture is still alive an well in NY.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:58 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
It doesn't. There are no neighborhoods in NYC that have a "British" vibe, and I think that even the idea of "WASP" culture in general is overrated.

What does that mean? You sound bigoted.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
How in that "quite the stretch"? It's fact. Same as why Spanish has always been spoken in certain parts of the US, French is still spoken in others, German yet in others.
Same reason English and French are the official languages of Canada. All due to the lasting cultural influences of the major founding nations of the country.

Same reason New York is named New "York."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.