Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Lol, are you kidding? Pizza actually definitely has its roots in America (that is, the kind of pizza you likely eat whenever you eat pizza), and yes, you go to Anytown, U.S.A., you're going to see a pizza place.

You clearly have no idea of what foreigners deem "American" food. Hamburger is the first thing they think of, PERIOD. Jampalaya? You have to be kidding me.

Go to any restaurant in the U.S., and you are far more likely to see Pizza, a Hamburger, or Hot Dog on the menu *LONG* before Jamablaya, "Shrimp and Grits", or Eggs Benedict. In fact, the only place these are a normalcy is in the Gulf Coast region.

I agree Steak can definitely be seen as an American food too. My point was, British food is very minor in terms of American influence. Fish and chips is in fact quite a rarity to find today. And most of what you listed off, are NOT British foods.
Just because Europeans don't typically know about our more sophisticated foods doesn't mean they're not representative of the US.

Fish and chips and other British/Irish pub foods are very common in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 10:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Just because Europeans don't typically know about our more sophisticated foods doesn't mean they're not representative of the US.

Fish and chips and other British/Irish pub foods are very common in the US.
I'm talking the first thing a foreigner would think of, which, my answer remains unchanged.... it's a Hamburger, not Jambalaya. What is a more "American" food than a Hamburger? I don't think there is any.

Not saying the U.S. is only Hamburgers and Hot Dogs, but those are definitely what people think of first when they hear "American food". Regional specialties like Philly Cheesesteak, BBQ, Lobster, Italian Beef, street tacos, Gumbo.... these are *regional* American foods that are lesser known to a lot of people. And, going back to the original point of this whole thread..... even these regional foods are not all British influenced. In fact, the majority aren't.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:16 PM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sandwiches, Fried Chicken, Eggs/Bacon/Sausage, roast dinners etc are all British

Save the Cranberry Sauce And Squash a Thanksgiving Dinner looks almost exactly like a British Christmas dinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsupmane View Post
Again, you're cherry picking.

Cranberries aren't in native British cuisine, neither are pumpkins and gourds, or turkeys. So you'd be wrong.

Italian, German, and Polish food have influenced American tastes more than British.
In this context, "save" means "except for," so btownboss was stating that those items (cranberry sauce and squash) are not part of a British Christmas Dinner.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:24 AM

67 posts, read 27,243 times
The only "weak-link" seems to be Food -- although, I grew up eating lots of British(ish) meals. It's here, but doesn't have the same cachet as German/Italian dishes, I guess.

But that's it. So much of what we just call "American" was derived from British culture.

As already noted -- sport is a big one. Yes, our football is something "we" invented, but without college kids playing a mix of soccer and rugby at the Ivy league universities (something else that exists because of the British) -- we wouldn't be!

Old 05-02-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Nothing is European? Nothing?
Pretty much every facet of life in the US is distinctly American at this point. The only exception would be things provided by recent immigrant groups.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:28 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Pretty much every facet of life in the US is distinctly American at this point. The only exception would be things provided by recent immigrant groups.
Our language, government, sports, nightlife culture, food culture, and popular culture are hugely influenced by Europe (and largely England)

Basically everything considered high culture is European Art and European Music

There are tons of little things too that people don’t know. For example transit systems are called Metros after the Metropolitian Railway in London.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Our language, government, sports, nightlife culture, food culture, and popular culture are hugely influenced by Europe (and largely England)

Basically everything considered high culture is European Art and European Music
The percentage of people who partake in high culture" in their every day is quite small. The only people I know who listen to classical music are my elderly uncle and my friend with Asperger's.

Even in Europe, people are way more likely to listen to American/Canadian artists than "high culture". I went to Germany recently, not even an Anglo country, and I heard American music (like Ariana Grande or Billie Eilish) in public more than German music.

And England's music, while popular in the US, has always mirrored trends started in the US. From the Beatles copying Motown, to modern drill artists copying American hip hop.

Europe is also influenced by our food and drink movements. Craft beer has gained a lot of popularity throughout Europe, as well as gastropubs where burgers are now a staple.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
The percentage of people who partake in high culture" in their every day is quite small. The only people I know who listen to classical music are my elderly uncle and my friend with Asperger's.

Even in Europe, people are way more likely to listen to American/Canadian artists than "high culture". I went to Germany recently, not even an Anglo country, and I heard American music (like Ariana Grande or Billie Eilish) in public more than German music.

And England's music, while popular in the US, has always mirrored trends started in the US. From the Beatles copying Motown, to modern drill artists copying American hip hop.

Europe is also influenced by our food and drink movements. Craft beer has gained a lot of popularity throughout Europe, as well as gastropubs where burgers are now a staple.
A outside of some music America basically repackages and slightly alters British culture. If you’ve experienced outside the Angloshoete you’d realize the countries are extremely similar.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
A outside of some music America basically repackages and slightly alters British culture. If you’ve experienced outside the Angloshoete you’d realize the countries are extremely similar.
It would be "most" music, not some. Hip hop and its derivatives like contemporary R&B and reggaeton are the most popular genres of music in the world, and hip hop is an explicitly American genre.

I find that Brits are more similar to continental Europeans than they are Americans. Which there is nothing wrong with.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It would be "most" music, not some. Hip hop and its derivatives like contemporary R&B and reggaeton are the most popular genres of music in the world, and hip hop is an explicitly American genre.

I find that Brits are more similar to continental Europeans than they are Americans. Which there is nothing wrong with.
British Film, TV and music literally isn’t even considered Foreign.

Shakespeare, Dickens, Doyle, etc are among the most read/adapted/copied authors in American Cinema and Literature.

Braveheart, War Horse and A Kings Speach, Titanic, Dunkirk, 1917, etc there are tons of British Historucal dramas produced by Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.