Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times

Advertisements

I have a Galaxy S3. Looked at the iPhone, and thought "why do people buy this over the S3?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
slo, wrong again, creative people are getting *out* of mac's threshold, esp with cs and fcp at least, mac still has audio market, but video/image it is *losing*

mac *used* to be great for people in video/image/audio/publishing and for good reason, but it is losing that grip, largely b/c of it going after the bigger consumer market.

I don't even think you know what I'm talking about anymore posting that article. I am talking about professional market, not average consumers. And I am talking the last few years, not most of the 2000's. That is old news.

What do you not understand about apple not even MAKING a rackmount server anymore? They do not make them, they haven't made them in 2 years, completely discontinued. Their latest real update to their pro desktop was 3 years ago. They took FCP into a more user friendly mode similar to imovie and dropped the price in FCPX and many pros have been fleeing to Premiere. Adobe has moved to creative cloud, they will no longer release boxed software, it's the same on apple/windows and has been for awhile. Adobe used to be better on mac but that was like 7 years ago b/c of font rendering/updates. Most of the high end audio programs now run on linux. Avid Media Composer runs on both mac/windows, so does protools. Those are moot points now. These are *the* pro programs in the industries, no doubt. The only market share that apple has is from the use of FCP and Logic, but even that is dwindling b/c...their hardware is behind now, and they basically stripped FCP so lots of people jumped shipped and either upgraded to MC or switched to Premiere.

Even in terms of o/s for "creative" types osx had a long ride being superior to xp as well as the bomb that was vista but since win7 it has been an even race.

Please tell me how apple competes in this market?
PowerEdge Rack Servers | Dell

? They threw in the flag and discontinued their xserves.

How do they compete with these?
HP Z820 Workstation | 16-core Dual Processor Xeon Workstation

Apple doesn't even make a 17" laptop anymore, come on.
Much less something like this
ThinkPad X230t Convertible Laptop | Lenovo | Lenovo (US)

or dual screened laptops.

They have given up on the pro market, everybody knows it, they are a consumer make as much money as possible company now.Their biggest money makers are phones, ipads and ipods.

Apples is YEARS behind/completely irrelevant in the professional desktop/server market, you only think it is high end b/c of marketing magic.

Last edited by grapico; 07-02-2013 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Almost everyone I know has an iphone or smart phone of some sort. I'm kind of skeptical about using iphone ownership as a measure of wealth. However when you look at those maps the more affluent sections of the cities (West LA, North Chicago, North Atlanta, Northwest D.C. etc.) do seem to have more iphone ownership.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
slo, wrong again, creative people are getting *out* of mac's threshold, esp with cs6 and fcp at least, mac still has audio market, but video/image it is *losing*

mac *used* to be great for people in video/image/audio and for good reason, but it is losing that grip, largely b/c of it going after the bigger consumer market.

I don't even think you know what I'm talking about anymore posting that article. I am talking about professional market, not average consumers.

What do you not understand about apple not even MAKING a rackmount server anymore? They do not make them, they haven't made them in 2 years, completely discontinued. Their latest real update to their pro desktop was 3 years ago. They took FCP into a more user friendly mode in FCPX and many people have been fleeing to Premiere. Adobe has moved to creative cloud, they will no longer release boxed software, it's the same on apple/windows and has been for awhile. Adobe used to be better on mac but that was like 7 years ago b/c of font rendering/updates.
Granted I dont shop them much, but everything I see, PC people generally stay PC. And I see no evidence Mac people are converting.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Almost everyone I know has an iphone or smart phone of some sort. I'm kind of skeptical about using iphone ownership as a measure of wealth. However when you look at those maps the more affluent sections of the cities (West LA, North Chicago, North Atlanta, Northwest D.C. etc.) do seem to have more iphone ownership.

Yeah, its pretty much across the board. Look at any city and its about split that way. Very cool maps, and the things they can create now based on big data.

What ups with Blackberrys in Indonesia?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Granted I dont shop them much, but everything I see, PC people generally stay PC. And I see no evidence Mac people are converting.
Do you work with people in industry or stay tuned to pro message boards? I'm talking about the PROFESSIONAL Market, not average consumers.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Do you work with people in industry or stay tuned to pro message boards? I'm talking about the PROFESSIONAL Market, not average consumers.

Yes of course, I mentioned I work with builders architects engineers everyday. Did a photoshoot with a top architectural photographer Monday, they are Mac based. I havent heard what you are contending.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes of course, I mentioned I work with builders architects engineers everyday. Did a photoshoot with a top architectural photographer Monday, they are Mac based. I havent heard what you are contending.
Then you should know most CAD programs won't even run on OS X.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Then you should know most CAD programs won't even run on OS X.
Haven't had any autodesk issues or parallel platform either

Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM

They have recently been put on, with serious compatibility issues that they had to release bug fixes for and was not on Apple for 15 years. That is just one of many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.