Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times

Advertisements

I don't hate the Midwest. I've only been to Illinois. That is considered part of the Midwest, correct? I would never put down an entire region and alot of Midwesterners are good, salt of the earth, decent folk. But can we please get more of them here in Texas? The ones I've met that have moved here take some getting used to. There's a thread in the Texas forum about the different cultures, how some are perceived as rude versus Southern politeness but Midwesterners prefer to say that they are not rude, just blunt and honest. I guess it's all in the way you are raised.

From pictures and tv that I've seen of the Midwest, it is beautiful.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
blueskies49, Id agree with you there. Other than some boneheads up here, I find most folks to be extremely pleasant and courteous. But Ill also say that they are VERY upfront with their opinions of things, which might offend others whod prefer to keep it on the DL, ya know?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
True, Steve-O! It takes some getting used to. I'm used to the "say something sweet to your face then stab you behind your back" culture, lol! But seriously, I prefer the social niceties even though some might see them as shallow. Aside from the appearance of "rudeness", most Midwesterners I've met are quite likeable if you can get past that initial impression.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
blueskies49, Id agree with you there. Other than some boneheads up here, I find most folks to be extremely pleasant and courteous. But Ill also say that they are VERY upfront with their opinions of things, which might offend others whod prefer to keep it on the DL, ya know?
I agree. Blueskies49 is right on the money about Midwesterners being upfront about things. They'll tell you treat you nice as long as you treat them nice, and if you ask them for help, generally they'll give it to you, and they'll also tell you basically their honest thoughts and the truth. They are just usually in a hurry on the road hehehe...I dunno. Getting back to the Illinois Ozarks and the Appalachian foothills of Southeastern Ohio...if those cannot be considered mountains, they can at least be considered big hills, and along with the Missouri Ozarks and the Porcupine Mountains go a long way in showing that the Midwest is far from just being flat with cornfields. It should also be noted that around the Cleveland area, especially along I-271, that is hilly terrain as well.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree. Blueskies49 is right on the money about Midwesterners being upfront about things. They'll tell you treat you nice as long as you treat them nice, and if you ask them for help, generally they'll give it to you, and they'll also tell you basically their honest thoughts and the truth. They are just usually in a hurry on the road hehehe...I dunno. Getting back to the Illinois Ozarks and the Appalachian foothills of Southeastern Ohio...if those cannot be considered mountains, they can at least be considered big hills, and along with the Missouri Ozarks and the Porcupine Mountains go a long way in showing that the Midwest is far from just being flat with cornfields. It should also be noted that around the Cleveland area, especially along I-271, that is hilly terrain as well.
The UP has the Huron Mountains as well as the Porkies. The Hurons are among the oldest rocks in the world , and , are higher than the Porkies. I know , I own one......

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Much Appreciated! Im sure I'll have a great time there
There are GREAT neighborhoods to hang out in St. Louis City. If it's really stuffy in frontenac, i'd highly reccomend driving into the city to the central west end, loop, washington avenue, soulard. Just ask about the neighborhoods. The gay scene is popping up on Manchester close to midtown, just ask. I'm sure you'll have a great time, just make sure you go into the city. Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
I've always thought Wisconsin, Minnesota and northern Michgan were very nice. The rest of the Midwest?? Not so much...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Lived in the MidWest for 3 years.
Loved it, loved the area, loved the people.
Hated the Chicago traffic.

If you hate the Midwest move to Atlanta, you will then love the Midwest.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
True, Steve-O! It takes some getting used to. I'm used to the "say something sweet to your face then stab you behind your back" culture, lol! But seriously, I prefer the social niceties even though some might see them as shallow. Aside from the appearance of "rudeness", most Midwesterners I've met are quite likeable if you can get past that initial impression.
My DD, who is a Colorado native, went to college in Minnesota, near MInneapolis. She felt "Minnesota Nice" was another term for "passive agressive". Indeed, there have been whole books written about that.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
People dislike the midwest because they say it is boring

but i love the midwest - great cities and friendly people, cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.