Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone hates teh Midwest, but a lot of people from the Northeast and California, especially liberal yuppie types (the kind that agrees with the things Snobama has said) look down on the Midwest, along with the South. This is because those yuppie types basically are condescending toward anyone they think is less classy or sophisticated than them, except ghetto people and illegals of course.

Many people in the Northeast are uneducated about the Midwest and have a lot of stereotypes. They think it is all rural and farm country for one thing, though this is not true. They never think about cities like Kansas City, St. Louis and Omaha. They also think the Midwest is all conservative and religious. A lot of it is based on ignorance and misinformation.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 AM

146 posts, read 689,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
A lot of it is based on ignorance and misinformation.
Just like your opinion of Liberal Northeasterners.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
I think some people base their dislike for an entire region on their own personal preferences for what's comfortable for them.
Some don't like snow and ice-midwest, northeast, etc.
Some dont like high temperatures-Nevada, Arizona, etc.
Some don't like driving on mountain roads- any mountain region.
The list could go on and on.
No one region is perfect. No one region is all bad. Good and bad can lie in the eyes of the beholder and what is acceptable to them.
As far as crime, that can happen anywhere. Not all of the midwest is a crime ridden den of low lifes.
The economy isn't what it used to be pretty much nationwide, not just in the midwest.
The work force in the midwest has changed from being mostly industrial to service oriented. I think this comes from globalization and the government letting big companies ship jobs overseas for the cheap labor rates.
I was born and raised in Ohio and it has been home for 61 years.
I like the area because in general the people are friendly and kind of low key and take life as it comes and seem to be able to handle the bad times and bounce back somehow or other. I think it is true that we kind of like the status quo and drastic changes are not always welcome.
Most midwesterner's don't judge people by race, they seem to be more inclined to judge on individual merits no matter what race, religion, or whatever. I guess it's kind of a live and let live thing.
We can talk about the big snow we had last winter (and how pretty it was before the plows and snowblowers got busy) and how we handled it or how pretty the spring flowers and blossoms are or how nice it is in the summer or how beautiful the fall foilage is.
I can drive a few miles north and fish or boat in the Great Lakes.
I can go south or east and be in the hills or mountains on a tank of gas.
I can go just a few miles south and see rolling hills and farms and country roads and fields of wheat swaying in the wind.
We have professional sports teams. We have some of the highest ranked medical facilities in the nation. We have beautiful parks and lakes and recreational areas. I like the green grass and the trees that do their own thing naturaly without me having to irrigate the yard.
The midwest produces a lot of the food we all eat everyday.
No one place can be all things to all people but I don't think the midwest is any more hated in general than any other specifc part of the country.
Some don't like it because it doesn't give them what they need for their own comfort zone.
Some just go by what they have heard from others.
Many don't really know because they have never had the opportunity to really see what the midwest has to offer.
This is just the opinion of one biased person. I like it here in the midwest. It has been a good place to raise my family and I am content and life has been good in general. I am retired except for a part time job I do just to stay busy and have a daily routine. I have seen some nice places all over this nation in my life time and I could move to anywhere I wanted to live. But I ain't. I'm staying right here in the good old midwest.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Yeah, well like I said about 40 pages back, I will still take the good 'ole Midwest to Phoenix any day. None of this garbage has changed my mind.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Yeah, well like I said about 40 pages back, I will still take the good 'ole Midwest to Phoenix any day. None of this garbage has changed my mind.
PHOENIX is a city, not a region of the country........ Other than that , there some wonder's in AZ., that the Midwest can not compare with , and , vice versa. The Midwest is more a state of mind, and , AZ. to me , is a place old people go...........to die.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Thumbs up Unite

Hi ya all, I would just like to say that I was born in the heart of the Midwest. I spent around 20 years in Texas. Don't want to go North too much.It hurts me. I wish it didn't though cause I love to look at the snow and walk out the door right into a fresh winter crisp day, with the sun shining and making everything else shine. It's beautiful. I still am in the midwest and there are no flat lands here, for miles. You can't imagine the beauty that comes out of all those trees with all their different colors and those rollin hills, at sunrise. There is nothing else like it.

What I would also like to say is, if you do not like the midwest, then do not go to the midwest. That seems pretty easy. I was in awe of some of the posters, but that is ok, cause everyone has their own opinion. Ok, well ya all have a beautiful day tomorrow, no matter the weather.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't think anyone hates teh Midwest, but a lot of people from the Northeast and California, especially liberal yuppie types (the kind that agrees with the things Snobama has said) look down on the Midwest, along with the South. This is because those yuppie types basically are condescending toward anyone they think is less classy or sophisticated than them, except ghetto people and illegals of course.

Many people in the Northeast are uneducated about the Midwest and have a lot of stereotypes. They think it is all rural and farm country for one thing, though this is not true. They never think about cities like Kansas City, St. Louis and Omaha. They also think the Midwest is all conservative and religious. A lot of it is based on ignorance and misinformation.
You're quote about being on the right side of the Mason Dixon line speaks volumes.

I'm from Connecticut and I don't hate the Midwest. I do hate parts of it though. I also hate parts of the West coast, Northeast and South. I live in the Midwest and have lived in several Midwestern states. Some of them are alright and others are filled with ignorant, backwards jakasses. I've met more pretentious, paranoid and shallow people in Kansas City than even the more upscale areas of Boston and New York City. When I first moved to KC I had no preconceived notions about the place or people. What I encountered was a lot of hostility and superior attitude i.e. arrogance that I never expected. Even Boston has never been this bad. Many people in KC seem to hate anyone from east of the Mississippi River. There are also plenty of ignorant a-holes in New England, NY and PA. Everywhere!

Every area of the country has its good communities and bad. It works both ways. Yes, there are people in the Northeast that look down on most other parts of the country but it also exists in other areas too like Kansas City. This attitude is called "Divide and Conquer" and as long as it continues to exist it will only serve to tear apart this country even more.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
I can understand WILWRadio's point about some Midwesterner's being arrogant about outsider. As a person from the Upper Midwest, I have seen this type of attitude from some people who have a narrow, provincial view of the nation and world. These people would complain about Californians (especially) and those on the coasts and the eastern half of the country. Come on, we are the USA. I can understand some of the feelings but some of the arrogant rhetoric towards those from other parts is overrated in my opinion.

I personally try to be fair to those from other parts of the country. I met people from both coasts and they are awesome people along with others from the South, intermountain West, and other reaches of the Midwest. Each place has its charm and unique characteristic. To paint one region negatively with a brush is unfair, because each region offers great people and great things (beauty, character, resources, and history).

I am proud to be from the Midwest and would like to highlight a few things that this often overlooked region has to offer. There are nice cities and the cost of living is reasonable in many areas. Yes, there are farms and it gets cold every now and then in the winter. But we have nice springs and falls and summer is enjoyable for outdoor activities. Not everyone are farmers and there are a number of professionals such as CPAs, doctors, engineers, lawyers, and the like along with high tech and medical positions.

There is a variety in the Midwest. The Great Lakes part has nice lakes and forests. There are some flat and some hilly areas in the cornbelt and is pretty when green and in the fall. The Great Plains (For example, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas) has areas where there are wide open spaces with tallgrass and beautiful sunrises and sunsets along with charming farms, ranches, towns, and cities. Missouri and Minnesota have neat forests. South Dakota has the Badlands and the Black Hills (an outlier of the Rockies) with evergreen trees. Camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting are few of many outdoor activities that are fun to to do in the Midwest and do not cost a fortune by themselves to do. Yep, cities have theaters, shopping, sports, and culture/arts for those who want excitement to stay entertained.

I like the fact that there is a fair amount of elbow room and not a whole lot of the stress and congestion that is common in busier parts of the country. Each place has its pluses and minuses.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
You're quote about being on the right side of the Mason Dixon line speaks volumes.

I'm from Connecticut and I don't hate the Midwest. I do hate parts of it though. I also hate parts of the West coast, Northeast and South. I live in the Midwest and have lived in several Midwestern states. Some of them are alright and others are filled with ignorant, backwards jakasses. I've met more pretentious, paranoid and shallow people in Kansas City than even the more upscale areas of Boston and New York City. When I first moved to KC I had no preconceived notions about the place or people. What I encountered was a lot of hostility and superior attitude i.e. arrogance that I never expected. Even Boston has never been this bad. Many people in KC seem to hate anyone from east of the Mississippi River. There are also plenty of ignorant a-holes in New England, NY and PA. Everywhere!

Every area of the country has its good communities and bad. It works both ways. Yes, there are people in the Northeast that look down on most other parts of the country but it also exists in other areas too like Kansas City. This attitude is called "Divide and Conquer" and as long as it continues to exist it will only serve to tear apart this country even more.
I definitely agree for the most part regarding Kansas City.I have run across a lot of the people are generally loud, annoying, and self-centered. I think the "car culture" is also more prevalent compared with other areas of the U.S. as well.
Kansas City really does not have much at all in common with Upper Midwestern cities IMHO.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,381 times
I am from Miami and have relocated to Ohio for the year. It is a total change. My main complaint is the weather. I swear it is rainy, snowy or gray and cloudy 5 days out of the week. The housing is cheap however and on the whole the people are nice and friendly.However, if you are someone who likes the hustle and bustle of the city, if you come to the midwest you should stick to the major cities. There are not alot of minority groups outside of the cities and most of the restaurants are chain restaurants, like Olive Garden, Outback and Red Lobster. Not alot of mom and pop places for soul food or Italian. The crime rate outside of the inner cities is low and there are not alot of vagrants in your face asking for money to drink with. But, it seems like the locals are content with drinking, smoking cigarettes and fighting for their weekend entertainment. If you want a slow paced, low crime, majority anglo- saxon community with low nightlife and low housing costs this is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.