Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 11:28 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

http://www.tcrecord.org/Html/39_9083.htm_g/00001.jpg

The 7 US Regions

Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
There are several "debatable" areas on this map, including a large part of central Kansas. Eastern Nebraska is shown as midwest. My husband, from Omaha, calls it "Mid-Plains" or "Great-West". Omaha is very midwestern, I can tell you that much. And no, it's not like Pittsburgh, which some also claim is the midwest.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-23-2008 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Error

Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 PM

I am pretty much in agreement with the map, personally, including the debatable areas. I think the shift really happens around Omaha. But I can see including up to the Lincoln area in the midwest. I think it is the same in Kansas, its somewhere around Wichita or maybe even more east. I think this makes sense because once you get past that point, the landscape really becomes more...well....Great Plain like! The cities thin out, water becomes more of a commodity, and you can see forever.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
ya traveling from eastern nebraska to western nebraska is comparable to traveling from new york city to the appalachians, a world of difference

Old 03-23-2008, 01:00 PM

64 posts, read 181,455 times
I also agree with that map. The only real difficulty then is when people start talking in terms of states. That map cuts Nebraska in half, so where do they then include it?

This was going to be a lot longer but my dog seriously just peed on my leg...

great conversation by the way.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM

That is one of the points, most often regions ignore state boundaries, which are just political boundaries. Meaning, a political boundary designates a governmental unit. This of course why you will often see "regional" maps by different organizations (sales territories, census, FEMA, USGS, etc). Many of them will designate "regions" by state because it suits their purpose. However, something like the USGS will completley ignore state boundaries when designating regions for mapping purposes, because they are mapping terrain regions or geological regions. They may however designate regions by state for data collection purposes.

I am very sorry your dog peed on your leg, I hope he hes very, very cute.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Scenery schmenery...I judge an area by the people and vibe I get from it,everything else is secondary to me
Exactly.
I like the ocean breeze as much as anybody, and there is even a place or two (only in New England) on the coast that I would ever want to live in. If the people aren't pleasant, or at least compatible, I would have a hard time living there.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Here's how I've heard it described...

Dream Tree - Midwestern Culture, Take 2

There are two midwests, so to speak. One is the I-70 coridoor through Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana. This area is much more conservative and "hokey," I guess. People have a strong southern influence in dialect and attitudes.

The other midwest is the Great Lakes basin. There is a large German and Scandanavian influence here and you can pick it up in attitudes (strong agrarian values and culture) and speech patterns. That's why you've got really progressive cities like Minneapolis and Chicago. These two towns are very, very different from places like St. Louis and Indy.

There really are two midwests. As a Missourian, I'm a proud resident of the hokier half! lol.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Here's how I've heard it described...

Dream Tree - Midwestern Culture, Take 2

There are two midwests, so to speak. One is the I-70 coridoor through Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana. This area is much more conservative and "hokey," I guess. People have a strong southern influence in dialect and attitudes.

The other midwest is the Great Lakes basin. There is a large German and Scandanavian influence here and you can pick it up in attitudes (strong agrarian values and culture) and speech patterns. That's why you've got really progressive cities like Minneapolis and Chicago. These two towns are very, very different from places like St. Louis and Indy.

There really are two midwests. As a Missourian, I'm a proud resident of the hokier half! lol.
Here is a good way to divide KS: Most areas west of the interstate 135 line are very PLAINS like. The SW portion of KS has strong TEXAS influences. The NE portion of KS has Midwest influences, and the SE portion of KS has southern/Ozark influences.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
I've heard zero southern dialects around interstate 70 at all. i actually think there are "three midwests." One is north of interstate 80, another is south of it and north of U.S. Highway 50, and the final one is south of U.S. 50 and above U.S. 60., which is actually a debatable region unto itself. Southern Missouri is debatable as a whole, whoever classified it as undebatably Southern needs help in my opinion. i don't hear any southern-type speech patterns until i'm south of U.S. 60, and they are not strongly Southern until i'm around U.S. 60. i've lived in the so-called area in question westcodude is talking about my whole life, and rarely heard any accents sounding even remotely Southern except from African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.