Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times

Advertisements

Living in the area, I would disagree. DC has much more in common with the northeast than it does the south. For that reason, I would lump it in with them. The weather is not that different between NYC and DC, especially in the summer. When it is 97 in DC, it is 96 in Baltimore, 95 in Philly and 94 in NYC. In fact, some times NYC is actually hotter than DC. Another good reason would be train service. Tons of folks going from DC up and few going south. Also, DC seems to be the last stop for most folks heading south from the north. When I cross the Potomic, I am in the south and that is generally how most folks feel about it in the area.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Other cultural elements that are typically associated with the South, such as a slow-paced environment, a large active Christian population, and general kindness are really not found in DC or its suburbs. However, once again, compared to Philly, NY, and Boston, DC is slower placed, probably does have a larger active Christian population, and likely has less abrasive people.
I just have to say: I couldn't disagree with you more. As someone who is a definitely a Yankee (Philly 'burbs represent! ) and has lived in DC for a year, I have not, for even one second, felt like I was in the South. People argue there's humidity? Guess what: there's humidity in BOSTON too. Slow-paced? People in NEW JERSEY drive slower and have more manners than DC drivers. Sweet tea? That can be found in any state. Christian/religious population? People pretty much scoff at religiosity here. The truth is, the DC area has been taken over by the Northeast in every way possible. I'm not saying that there was NEVER any Southern influence here, but whatever Southernness was here has completely and utterly vanished. Even those I've met who are FROM here (not transplants) get defensive when their city is referred to as the "South." I've been to the South - Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia - and I have not experienced ANYTHING like I have there while living here.

Also, people have this misconception that Maryland was part of the confederacy, but it was actually a BORDER STATE. So this idea that it was even at one time a bastion of confederate influence is just inconsistent with history:

Border states (Civil War) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I would say Miami,Florida is the Southernmost Northern city. If you find a true southerner living in that city ,good luck!!!!! Miami is a melting pot like New York City with palm trees.
I was born and raised in Miami, and it is VERY much a southern city. One of the main highways going through Miami is named Dixie Highway. Before the second large immigrant influx in the 1980s, hearing southern accents in Miami was commonplace, many restaurants served typically "southern food," the city moved at a MUCH slower pace, and people were a lot nicer than they are now.

Reflections of Miami's southern heritage can really be seen in the established African-American neighborhoods throughout South Florida. Those communities are home to families who have lived in the same neighborhood for as many as 80 to 100 years. Those families retain many of the characteristics that Miami really lost after it was heavily populated by immigrants.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
However, once again, compared to Philly, NY, and Boston, DC is slower placed, probably does have a larger active Christian population, and likely has less abrasive people.
gotta agree with the others, i don't see it. the population in downtown DC proper are just as high-strung as us yankees. having lived in manhattan and philly, the folks there seem no different, maybe a little preppier and 1/2 the people i know from CT, NY & NJ live down there

Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
gotta agree with the others, i don't see it. the population in downtown DC proper are just as high-strung as us yankees. having lived in manhattan and philly, the folks there seem no different, maybe a little preppier and 1/2 the people i know from CT, NY & NJ live down there
I think the fact that you admit that half the people you know from CT, NY and NJ live in DC shows why many don't consider DC southern.

If you look at the established black neighborhoods and patterns of speech in DC, especially in Northeast, Southeast, and out in Prince George's County you might consider DC a southern city.

I think one characteristic that makes DC somewhat of a border region is that it is not immersed in "southern" culture.

Many considered Virginia southern, but not DC. How can you just hop from the North to the South? You can't. There is some grey area. DC is in that grey area, but to me has always retained more southern characteristics than northern.

But hey, that's just my experience.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
The patterns of speech in the established black areas of dc and surrounding areas are no different than any other northeastern city.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:47 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
St. Louis, Louisville, and Cincy most northern southern city for inland

Indy for most southern northern city inland.

Again.....wha????? St. Louis and Cincy being considered Southern???

there's no southern feeling to those cities at all. completely midwest charm!

Indianapolis is definately the midwest, there is nothing southern about it.

I'd say the southernmost northern city is Oklahoma City. The city had a completely Midwestern feel to it and it also reminded me of the great plains.

The northernmost southern city is, like many said, likely Louisville Kentucky. D.C. as a southern city?? What planet are some people on???

Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Northernmost southern city? In my opinion this would be Richmond, although it's debatable.

Southernmost northern city? I think Fort Lauderdale, FL has a hold on this one. They don't even serve sweet tea at restaurants here. Miami is a Latin American and Caribbean city and actually has more classical southern influence. I even recall living in Orlando, where sweet tea was served, and it oftentimes seemed strange to the transplant waitstaff, but nonetheless it was still served. We are the only Italian-plurality metro outside of the Northeast. This is a northeastern city.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Again.....wha????? St. Louis and Cincy being considered Southern???

there's no southern feeling to those cities at all. completely midwest charm!
Actually, as a lifelong resident of the Cincinnati area, I assure you there are a lot of southern influences in the region. It's one of those weird things in that it's in a northern state, but it borders a traditional southern state. It's a mix of both - so yes, while it has a northern feel to it, likewise it can have a southern feel to it at times.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_life View Post
Louisville? Cincinnati?
Geographically, the southernmost northern large city would be Cincinnati,OH(through a stone and it lands in Kentucky). The northernmost southern large city would be Wilmington,DE. It is a few steps away from Philadelphia.

Culturally, I think Cairo,IL is the northernmost southern city. The southernmost northern city would be Miami,FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.