Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,149 times

Advertisements

We're a young, married couple with a toddler and we're looking at different states that we'd like to move to in the next few years. We currently live in south Louisiana and we want a big change. We want a white Christmas for once, but not somewhere that snows TOO much. We also want to get away from the awful humidity of the south. We'd like warm, dry summers.

We're tired of everything being flat here. There doesn't have to be mountains, but at least some rolling hills. Ideally, we'd like to live somewhere liberal and affordable, but those two don't seem to mix so we're willing to overlook politics in order to find something affordable. Just nothing extremely conservative. We want to get away from that.

We'd like to live in a suburb of a medium sized city. Obviously, job availability is important. DH is a nurse and I stay at home with DD. Based on the above criteria, we've pretty much ruled out anywhere in the deep south, southeast, flat areas in the midwest, etc. If anyone could offer us some suggestions we'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
St Louis? Louisville (KY)?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Kansas City,Mo. or Pittsburg might also work for you.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Missoula, MT

It doesn't get as much snow as other parts of the state and it's a great city. It's as liberal as it gets for Montana. It's only a few hours from Spokane, Washington too.

Boise, ID would work well too.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:43 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Missoula, MT

It doesn't get as much snow as other parts of the state and it's a great city. It's as liberal as it gets for Montana. It's only a few hours from Spokane, Washington too.

Boise, ID would work well too.
Good suggestions -- or why not Spokane? Bing Crosby grew up there. It's the place of "white Christmases" that the narrator was dreaming of in the song.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What is considered to be TOO much snow? I ask that because many places that get snow are prepared for it. I would say Upstate NY has areas that could fit and healthcare is doing well in terms of jobs, but the snow factor may determine this. If you do consider it, suburbs like Henrietta, Colonie, parts of Amherst and Clay are some that may work for you.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Good suggestions -- or why not Spokane? Bing Crosby grew up there. It's the place of "white Christmases" that the narrator was dreaming of in the song.
Spokane is a large city to me . The OP could live in Coeur d'Alene, ID though. That's practically a suburb of Spokane.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is considered to be TOO much snow? I ask that because many places that get snow are prepared for it. I would say Upstate NY has areas that could fit and healthcare is doing well in terms of jobs, but the snow factor may determine this. If you do consider it, suburbs like Henrietta, Colonie, parts of Amherst and Clay are some that may work for you.
I've thought about upstate New York. It's beautiful, but we are intimidated by the snow. But like you said, in areas that get that much, they tend to handle it well. We just don't have any experience driving in it or shoveling it in the morning. But it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Boo Radley View Post
I've thought about upstate New York. It's beautiful, but we are intimidated by the snow. But like you said, in areas that get that much, they tend to handle it well. We just don't have any experience driving in it or shoveling it in the morning. But it's definitely not a deal breaker.
Then, I would still consider it along with the others on here. Is there anything else that you are looking for in a new place to live?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:46 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Omaha, Nebraska is affordable and seems to have a bunch of "rolling drumlins".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.