Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 PM

26 posts, read 98,938 times

Advertisements

Look into Portland, Maine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfern View Post
Look into Portland, Maine!
Portland seems to fit a number of the OP's criteria. I'd be concerned about the weather, since she said she'd consider any place but seems to really prefer milder winters if all else fits. My other concern would be cost of living. Okay, I should talk, being the one who suggested Boulder, but even though Portland is less expensive compared to the larger urban areas in the Northeast, it's kind of pricey by national standards. If the OP can handle the weather, and if Portland would fit her budget, it would be a great fit with the other criteria, and in a state with gorgeous outdoor scenery.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearboots View Post
It is time for me to move on and I'd love some suggestions from this knowledgable forum! Here's some background:

I'm a 25 year old single female currently living in TX in the DFW area. I have lived in all the big cities in TX and am VERY ready for a change. I have a college education but I manage a record store. I'd like to move someplace with an active music scene and interesting job opportunities-- though really big cities make me anxious. I have visited the standard towns for people my age with similar interests (portland, austin, sanfran, nyc, boston) and wasn't really taken by them. I have never lived in cold weather or spent much time in snow (not sure how my car would hold up) but willing to try anything. I would really like to find a cool gem of a town with a low cost of living and down to earth people who are active and fun!

Also I hear that there are places that don't have cockroaches/waterbugs like TX has (everywhere)... is this true? I am very scared of those kind of bugs and would be very glad to find a city/town that is not crawling with them.

Thanks for reading this post! I appeal to you all for your helpful suggestions!
my friend gloria says steve when you got money everyplace is mardi gras

Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Try out..............San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, and Los Angeles.

From an economy stand point you should be good with these choices.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:13 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Another vote to check out Portland, Maine. It's a wonderful small city, the climate is NOT as bad as people from away seem to think, there are lots of things to do there and a good job market. Plus if you are an outdoor kind of girl, the activity potential is endless.

And, Portland is an easy drive to Boston if you want to spend the day or a weekend and yet not have to live there.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM

13 posts, read 20,002 times
midwest is generally cheap so maybe cincinnati would be good

Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Pretty old thread but perhaps useful to others in a similar situation. Midwest college towns are a great recommendation. They're typically affordable, offer a good quality of life and somewhat decent job prospects. Madison WI, Iowa City IA, Bloomington IN, Lawrence KS and Columbia MO are some good choices.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 AM

63 posts, read 165,702 times
New Orleans! music is super appreciated there! and if you need to get some cash before starting your business, there are always service industry jobs in demand. seriously, lots of help wanted signs. and the city is super charming... its hard not to be taken by it. and affordable... although drinking there can be a bit pricey until you find the local hole in the walls.

but be prepared for stuff to be real slow (and hot) till october.

only downside to NOLA, is if by active you mean outdoorsy, its not the best city for that. but it really is a gem of a city (my favorite in the states.. so im biased i suppose) and there is so much to do its ridiculous. its small too, but there are so many easter eggs to discover in the city that there is no way in hell you will ever get bored.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 AM

577 posts, read 1,758,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Try out..............San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, and Los Angeles.

From an economy stand point you should be good with these choices.
Seriously? San Diego is far from economical ... very expensive to live there unless you want a bunch of roommates.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,177 times
Nashville is your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.