Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
3 reasons

More men venture west, esp tech/military men
More divorcees/single moms out in the east because the population is much older out there. Young girls are rarely single, older women struggle to find dates.
More black women in the eastern USA(black women are the least likely to be in a relationship)

Add it all up and there's a huge disparity

Look at Sacramento: one of the whitest/oldest metros in the southwest, mostly blue collar pop. and has a high west coast black population.
Bingo, it's purple.

If you look for stats for women 20-34, you'll see the gap shrink between each areas.
This is something I find particularly interesting.

The black population plummets as soon as you head west of Texas. Is it a coincidence that the dots shift from pink to blue as soon as you head west of Texas?

I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Or.... the third coast (Gulf Coast), the most affordable of the three.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Or.... the third coast (Gulf Coast), the most affordable of the three.
You're forgetting the Gold Coast aka Chicago.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
You're forgetting the Gold Coast aka Chicago.
I've never heard of that, but hey, we could add that too. Let's see; we're up to four coasts now...

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 11,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post

If you're a guy then this is pretty easy.
I wonder how that map applies to LGBT people. Also while there are more men in the west coast, If I was a women interested in men, I'd be curious about the population of men broken down by each coast, especially if the east coast has a larger overall population.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Doesn't that go both ways? SoCal and NorCal are more different than NY and New England.
But they aren't. New York and Boston are far more distinct in politics, culture, accent and are almost as distinct in terms of weather compared to SF and LA. It's also important to note that Boston is a good deal closer to NYC than SF is to LA. You can go from NY to New England simply by crossing the street from Port Chester, NY to Greenwich, CT

Old 03-20-2021, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 772 times
Default East Coast vs West Coast

Hi we are thinking of relocating to Bergen County from San Diego. I know real estate is a bit crazy right now everywhere. Do you think its a good idea to buy in NJ during peak market or stay put in San Diego?

Old 03-20-2021, 09:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
New York and Boston are far more distinct in politics, culture, accent and are almost as distinct in terms of weather compared to SF and LA. It's also important to note that Boston is a good deal closer to NYC than SF is to LA. You can go from NY to New England simply by crossing the street from Port Chester, NY to Greenwich, CT
That's just not at all true.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
But they aren't. New York and Boston are far more distinct in politics, culture, accent and are almost as distinct in terms of weather compared to SF and LA. It's also important to note that Boston is a good deal closer to NYC than SF is to LA. You can go from NY to New England simply by crossing the street from Port Chester, NY to Greenwich, CT
I don’t agree. NY and New England pretty much look and their people act exactly the same, just with a slight accent difference. Connecticut is basically a blend of the two.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Both have their problems, but major issues set aside, there are places on the west coast I'd consider under just the right circumstances. Basically, San Diego if it were 1/4 to 1/3 it's current cost. Not even because of the weather, but because it seems the most sane of west coast metros.
Logically, weather shouldn't be so heavily weighed, but it apparently is for some people.
It's an easy no-go anywhere on the east coast. Maine is cool, but living there probably wouldn't be the same as visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.